Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24 Ri Not Firing! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24 Ri Not Firing! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alcester

Hello All,

I would be grateful for your thoughts on a problem with my Greenstar 24Ri running a vented system with HW Cylinder, CH and UFH.

Since approx April the CH & UFH have been off with HW timed for early morning / evening daily.

In mid-August, we awoke to no HW and boiler was flashing its blue light. User Manual advised performing the reset procedure. Boiler fired up and all seemed well.

From approx end-Aug to end-Sep, these boiler resets were required more frequently. I tried all combinations and order of demand of HW/CH/UFH but could find no pattern. I also checked F&E tank which was at normal level with ball cock working, and tried to bleed all rads (small amount of air in one in bathroom).

Eventually, the reset did not work and boiler would not fire. I looked up the installation manual online and discovered the exact fault code (long off, flash on) which said it was an Ignition Lockout.

I have home emergency cover which covers loss of HW/CH so I called them. They initially diagnosed a new PCB required and replaced it. This made no difference.

A new engineer was sent out who checked the flame rectification device and found it dirty/corroded. He cleaned it up and voila the boiler was seemingly back to normal. He came back after 2 days to replace the part entirely. Boiler was working and 2-weeks went by without a hitch during which time I set CH and UFH to come on as weather turned colder. All seemed good.

On Wed last week, we awoke to boiler flashing same error code. Engineer diagnosed a faulty gas valve which was replaced today. Now, boiler will fire after reset, but it lasts only 2-4 mins and dies. It tries its 5 attempts to relight before giving up with flashing blue light. Exactly same flash (long off, flash on).

The engineer was at a loss and suggested that the HEX might have a blockage. I pointed out that the error code for a HEX problem (blockage, overheat etc) was different (long on, flash off) as per the install manual. He could not explain and could not investigate without authorisation due to potential cost of work/parts.

I would be very grateful for any views from the forum as to what the problem might be given the scenario above. Also It would be great if anyone with experience of this boiler family has ever known it mis-report an error code (I.e. Report an ignition related problem when it really is an overheat or HEX issue).

Many Thanks!

You pay for the service so get them to fix it.

There is a £500 upper limit on my emergency cover so at some point I'll be paying for diagnosis and parts! Just trying to get a view from those who know this boiler to help shortcut the process.

How olds the boiler? Give WB a call and if outside warranty they will fix it on a fixed price basis!

Unlikely to be the boiler that's got it wrong, more likely the engineer.

You've had a PCB which wasn't required so make sure they don't add that to your limit!

How olds the boiler? Give WB a call and if outside warranty they will fix it on a fixed price basis!

It is 3-years old. Outside WB's warranty according to their Cust Serv, but they were not very good at convincing me about 'fixed price' nature for repair. From what I was told when I spoke to them, if their engineer deems it beyond economical repair, they don't fix it.

It is 3-years old. Outside WB's warranty according to their Cust Serv, but they were not very good at convincing me about 'fixed price' nature for repair. From what I was told when I spoke to them, if their engineer deems it beyond economical repair, they don't fix it.

thats if alot is wrong as yours is only 3 years old you will be fine, and have you had the boiler serviced through the 3 years?

Thought the RI had 5 yrs warranty?

thats if alot is wrong as yours is only 3 years old you will be fine, and have you had the boiler serviced through the 3 years?

It has indeed been serviced every year and it has never missed a beat. Next service was due in Nov.

This could be any number of issues.
I can think of 8 off the top of my head.
3 have been done.
4 are easy to check and 1 is very odd.
The guys seem to be trying their best..... Im sure they will sort it.

Far too much information has been given already on this thread.

OP. You have grounds for complaint. You're paying for a service that you're not receiving.

Demand that the next engineer you get has experience in WB boilers or knows what they're doing as far as fault finding is concerned. Or has the gumption to call wb tech support.

But for you the thread is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
Have you had any work carried out recently, eg...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
Not offended. I understand your frustration...
Replies
Views
Try the old turning off and on again via the...
Replies
Views
Back