worcester greenstar 12Ri - rcd trips in fusebox when boiler plugged into mains socket | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss worcester greenstar 12Ri - rcd trips in fusebox when boiler plugged into mains socket in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesT

Hi All

I have a relatively new (18 months old) worcester greenstar 12Ri boiler. The rcd tripped in fusebox and all downstairs sockets lost power. Tried to reset rcd but downstairs sockets circuit continues to trip out when boiler plugged into mains socket. I unplugged all appliances downstairs and plugging the power supply to the boiler system in (this includes circulating pump and zone valves) is the culprit. It trips even when boiler is switched off and CH & HW switches are off.

The downstairs sockets circuit has tripped occasionally over the last 18 months but usually resets ok at the consumer unit (fusebox)
The consumer unit was replaced at the same time as the new boiler was installed plus the circulating pump.

I am puzzled why even with everything switched off it still trips the fusebox rcd?
One other piece of info, the previous evening the boiler would not switch off and we had to switch it off manually. All then seemed to work ok until the rcd tripped.

Any suggestions welcome before I give the engineer a call.

JamesT

Re: worcester greenstar 12Ri - rcd trips in fusebox when boiler plugged into mains so

could be a trapped/damaged wire or a faulty control component which has an earth fault. I would ask an electrician to test the circuit.

Re: worcester greenstar 12Ri - rcd trips in fusebox when boiler plugged into mains so

Yes - I will give the installation engineer a ring tomorrow. I did not wish to incurr a weekend call out charge! :innocent:

if you capable you could isolate and check the wiring for simple faults like loose wires etc in the junction box and fuse spur etc... but only do this if you feel competent.

if you capable you could isolate and check the wiring for simple faults like loose wires etc in the junction box and fuse spur etc... but only do this if you feel competent.

its plugged in, he's better leaving it to someone who knows what they are doing

I am carefully checking such things. I found loose earth wires in wiring behind programmer this afternoon. I had family for lunch today so did not want to start testing again.
The four earth wires were for boiler, pump, and zone valves. All four wires went under same connector screw in connector block. I will quickly switch mcb rcd off for sockets circuit tomorrow morning and plug power back in to boiler/programmer.
You never know I may be lucky!

Just to reassure everyone I had unplugged the lead which gives power to the boiler/programmer/circulating pump and zone valves. The downstairs sockets and everything plugged into them all work ok with no rcd tripping! It is only plugging the boiler system into socket outlet which trips the rcd. Luckily we have a nice gas fire and the immersion heater gives us hot water. A couple of oil filled electric radiators give us additional heating whilst the central heating is off!

Last edited by a moderator:

its plugged in, he's better leaving it to someone who knows what they are doing

thats why i said if he feels competent.

if its pluged in then check the plug also.

Plugged in? Personally I always us a d/p fused spur preferrably on its own circuit;if not spurred of a ring main. It makes isolation so much easier especially if there is a n-e fault. IMHO a plug top is for temporary supply only.

Panic over lads! Zone valve was leaking water on to electrics! New zone valve cured tripping RCD

Regards James

Plugged in? Personally I always us a d/p fused spur preferrably on its own circuit;if not spurred of a ring main. It makes isolation so much easier especially if there is a n-e fault. IMHO a plug top is for temporary supply only.

I have lived in this house for nearly 30 years ... central heating was already installed by previous owner. So far so good! :33:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

W
pcb issue so gas safe engy required sorry to say
Replies
Views
Hi folks, thought I's just close this out with...
Replies
Views
I would think the time switch wire would go to...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Let's leave it at that shall we?
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back