Worcester Greenstar 24ri - Possible airlock? | Air Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worcester Greenstar 24ri - Possible airlock? in the Air Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

JE-P&H

Gas Engineer
Replaced an old Ideal Concorde WRS225a with a 24ri today, on fire up it lights for couple of seconds and overheats causing banging pipes etc.

Couldn't find a manual for the Ideal so assumed flow was on the left and return on right as left came out from top of heat ex and right from the bottom. (Check with Ideal who confirmed I was correct but still considering it's a possibility)

Have a drain off on the return so tried mains water into the system with no luck.

Boiler is in the garage with about a 8m run to the airing cupboard where the pump is, flow pipe barely gets hot past top of the boiler. Any suggestions would be great I'm struggling!

Ye pump runs ( Can hear it and changes through speed settings) zones valves both opening and are new, pump is still original was working fine before I assume as they had HW do newer boilers need a strong pump could be weak but unlikely?

how fast does it temp up?

About 10seconds, fires up full then goes low, then out as it overheats. Flow pipe goes red hot above boiler and return gets hot but it doesn't loop, the pipes just get hot off the boiler if that makes sense!

would say air lock

shove your hose on the drain off and drain it off for a good 10 mins on the return then do the same with the flow

Ye same I was thinking tomorrow drain it down put lever valve on flow and one on return. Then mains water through the drain off isolating one side at a time to try and push it through but if that doesn't work I'm stuck haha!

Ye same I was thinking tomorrow drain it down put lever valve on flow and one on return. Then mains water through the drain off isolating one side at a time to try and push it through but if that doesn't work I'm stuck haha!

dont you have a mag filter fitted?

I Quote them as optional customer opted out, not my choice but what can you do!

just thinking saves you draining down if you did

would put some lockshield gate valves instead of lever valves

Still no luck, drained everything including the boiler installed 2 AAV above the boiler shut off a valve each side and tried to pull an air lock through any other suggestions?

Are you getting just water out ? Or nothing

If your getting water could be pump

Just water, I have now changed the pump still the same have also swapped Flow and Return round above the boiler temporarily to see if that does anything and no luck! Baffling me system was quite old fully pumped system before but had no motorised valves etc just a Damfoss mixing valve controlling the hot water temperature anything I could have missed?

Photo of pipework before I took cylinder out if that helps!

I have labelled them left to right as they come out of the floor Boiler flow, Boiler Return, CH Return and CH Flow anyone disagree?

IMG_3421.JPG

I think you should have put an air vent on the top of the heating coil, could be locking up there
Where do you mean top of the coil? I don't think it's an air lock anymore I've put mains water through the system right up to the tank and still boiler flow doesn't even get hot heat exchanger just overheats.

As @ShaunCorbs mentiond earlier it might be your pump itself. @Gasmk1 said you should put an AAV on top of the coil which means where the inlet to the coil is - basically close to the coil entrance. If there is no airlock anymore try getting another pump that's what I would to see if there is any difference.

This is turning into quite a mystery.

Neither of the following are likely, just trying to think outside the box:

Can you be sure that the coil in the cylinder is not blocked? Perhaps a manufacturing problem. Perhaps some bungs to stop debris getting in that needed to be removed...

I can't see from the photos, does the cylinder have a secondary return? Is it possible you connected to this and capped the primary return instead of vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for letting us know
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Yes, I did see that the matter of putting Mag...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
I have exactly the same problem! Is there a...
Replies
Views
Mrloaf
M
Back