Worcester Junior or Compact | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worcester Junior or Compact in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Truman

Looking at the 28 CDi Compact and the 28 Junior, the flow rates, heat outputs and dimensions of the Junior and Compact look almost identical to me so what am I missing? I know the Junor is the bottom of the range, but where is the extra money for the Compact going? I know the Junior didnt used to have a control knob for the HW, but it does now, so whats the difference between it and the Compact?

Flow rates will always be the same for a given output - ie all 28kw boilers will have a flowrate so close to each other that the difference is not relevant. If you find a manufacturer claiming differently, then read the small print, because they are spinning the data somehow. Flow rate has a direct and linear relationship to output and no manufacturer can bend the laws of physics.

Worcester operate a "good, better, best" strategy. Or if you prefer, "entry level, mid-market and premium".

They would position the junior in the "good" slot, the SI range in the "better" slot and the CDi in the "best/premium" slot.

Differentials are hard to identify from the outside - a bit like a non-driver looking at 3 different 2 litre cars and struggling to see what separates them, but it will be in component quality, materials used, finish, warranty, and ancillary features like self diagnostics.

The compact is worcesters newest model so there are quite a few changes internally , i fit quite a lot of worcesters and i know not much folks on this forum like them however that being said im not keen on the junior models , the compacts ive only fitted a couple but it didnt come close to the cdi classic in my eyes, the compact gives less litres per minute for the kw although its marginal ,aswell as there kw ranges differ, ie the classic ranges are 29,34.38 and 42kw and the classic is 28,32 and 36kw, the compacts were originally designed for the option that they would fit inside a kitchen wall unit, The compact has a diagnostic port and the way the circuit board has been designed all the harnesses are layed out for easy fault finding, so if you are looking to purchase a worcester truman id defo go for the CDI Classic, they to one best boiler award by which magazine,,

Beat me to it and the junior is going to be phased out, worcester love the compact and will be promoting this more to get rid of the junior

The Cdi Classic is the one I'd go for. Unless your trying to squeeze it into a very small space.

Thanks for the replies. Space is limited which is why I'm looking at the CDi Compact, otherwise I'd have preferred the full sized CDi Classic. As the flow rate isn't the best for the 28 Compact CDi, then would there be any negatives to going for the 32 Compact CDi instead? The flow rate is much better and as far as heating output range, it's the same (7.03kW - 24kW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. Space is limited which is why I'm looking at the CDi Compact, otherwise I'd have preferred the full sized CDi Classic. As the flow rate isn't the best for the 28 Compact CDi, then would there be any negatives to going for the 32 Compact CDi instead? The flow rate is much better and as far as heating output range, it's the same (7.03kW - 24kW)

It all depends on size of property and how many radiators you have aswell as hot water. Bearing in mind there is only few inches either way in size between the compact and classic. I think hieght is very similar its more depth that the classic is smaller so really not much difference tbo.

Looking at the 28 CDi Compact and the 28 Junior, the flow rates, heat outputs and dimensions of the Junior and Compact look almost identical to me so what am I missing? I know the Junor is the bottom of the range, but where is the extra money for the Compact going? I know the Junior didnt used to have a control knob for the HW, but it does now, so whats the difference between it and the Compact?

Worcester got rid of the old junior without the control knob and the old SI is now the junior that's why it now has a control knob for hot water.

whats your cold water supply like? if its not great then it may be a waste of time fitting a higher kw.

Spent little more and go CDI :) if install by Facebook/safegasinstall.com you could have 8 years boiler guarantee

Ignore that last one didnt work right ,,,, balls up

Surely british gas cant be wrong

Mind u not sure about compact . I really like the cdi range and dislike the i. or junior range.

Gee wiz . Ok forget i spoke

BG fit what ever they get best deal on. Flexicom, junior, ultracom, so yes they do get it wrong. The heat only cdi is ok boiler but WB combis are leaky plastic tat! Fine for 4 years then pinhole . BG love them as Worcester don't mind scamming the customers, buy a boiler which on the open market has 8 years warranty then make your customer pay every year for that warranty

The cdi range also have modulating pump so as try's close pump speed lowers saving electricity.

Spent little more and go CDI :) if install by Facebook/safegasinstall.com you could have 8 years boiler guarantee

When you say go for the CDi, do you mean I'd be OK going for the Compact CDi as much as the Classic CDi? Have you fitted many compacts? From what I read, they're pretty crammed inside and not easy to work on (granted, thats not my problem!). But it's the slightly smaller size that appeals to me as it's going on a kitchen wall where space is limited.

The compacts have been designed for the installer aswell makin them easy to strip down and work on, yeh theyre crammed in but theyve really thought of engineer, simple to work on,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Need to get someone out to calc what your...
Replies
Views
If you have the right temperature rise for the...
Replies
Views
I also thought it was 10:1, for the 4000 and...
Replies
Views
It worked! Brilliant and amazing! This has...
Replies
Views
If there’s is the chance that many things will...
Replies
Views
Back