Worcester Wave v NEST controls | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worcester Wave v NEST controls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

Tossing up between these 2. We tend to use our thermostat as an on/off switch as there is little point scheduling as we have no set routine.

Advantage for the NEST is the wheel is easier to operate which is relevant as I have elderly users who will not understand the swipes/display on the WAVE. You can also lock the temp to some extent.

The advantage of the WAVE is that it allegedly works better with Worcester Boilers (which I will have).

This is what WB say:

The Wave communicates with the boiler via a low voltage EMS control wire. This allows the Wave to directly modulate the output of the boiler based on the difference between room temperature and target temperature thereby using the boiler in a more efficient manner. The Nest will simply switch the boiler between being on at full rate or off.

Can anyone confirm or explain whether this is likely to lead to a real life money saving gain (bearing in mind with the NEST I coudl potentially stop visitors rmaping up the thermostat to max/30degrees - which happens often).

On a related note, assuming one user cannot understand the WAVE is it possible to pay extra and get a second unit on the boiler itself which you can just control by pressing up/down buttons - so you have 2 ways of turning things on/off.

Nest is fit and forget.

use it manually for a period it learns your preferences and then you leave it alone and it'll turn the heating on and off once it knows your routine.

ive had two dealings with wave and both were removed as they weren't right for the system so can't really comment to much on its behaviour

Agree with GMR nest is great and will be easy for elderly users (they do not need an iPhone to use it!) [emoji3]

Wave works better with worcester boilers????

How would they know their boilers never flaming work !!!!!

This is what WB say:

The Wave communicates with the boiler via a low voltage EMS control wire. This allows the Wave to directly modulate the output of the boiler based on the difference between room temperature and target temperature thereby using the boiler in a more efficient manner. The Nest will simply switch the boiler between being on at full rate or off.

I agreed to a Wave when I had the system replaced in my daughter's house. I think (but not 100% certain) that the feature above only works when weather compensation (WC) is enabled. When WC is on, Wave disables the boiler 'stat and determines the flow temperature itself.

The snag with having WC on is that it runs the pump all the time, although there is an option which will turn it off during the night. This seems bonkers to me. On the boilers with modulating pumps their power consumption is pretty low, but ours doesn't have a modulating pump.

Apart from that, Wave works well. But my daughter is an iPhone generation person so using the app is second nature to her. I could well imagine even the wall mounted controller would baffle an older person.

We have installed a few waves and the customers appear to get on well with operating the system, also Worcester claim there is a further 4% saving on gas consumption.
If wave is installed at time of installation of boiler you get the same warranty.

The Wave
It works with worcester boilers and only worcester boilers. It's the only control of its type that can support weather compensation, no outside sensor required but it does need to communicate with a wi fi system. It is designed to work only with all worcester EMS boilers. All have or will shortly have an energy rated pump. It does not pass you're movements to third parties. If your older people get into trouble with it those of the smart generation can sort it from the other side of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've fiitted tado and nest and cosy at home, i depends on the customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage...
Replies
Views
I'm an end user with limited knowledge of...
Replies
Views
Insufficient circulation rate can give the...
Replies
Views
C
It did indeed. Job 38.11.
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back