Work Experience | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Work Experience in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rodders

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any info on offering work experience to someone? Basically I am self employed and have been for about a year now and I completed a 3 year apprenticeship with a heating company. I am now working on all types of things and would like to offer some work experience to someone and just wondered what I needed to know from you guys first.

It took me about 3 years to find an apprenticeship so I'd like to offer someone an insight into the industry which I never got, but would have loved the opportunity when I was trying to get into the industry.

I am not in a position to be offering an apperenticeship to anybody and certainly am not able to offer any payment, but would be happy to show someone a few things and show them what it's all about. Does anyone here do this currently?

Thanks

I would not feel ok about having someone work for me for no money.
fair days work for a fair days pay.

I would not feel ok about having someone work for me for no money.
fair days work for a fair days pay.

This wouldnt be a job. This is a "come along with me for a few weeks and I'll show you a few things!" I'm not going to drop them off on site and leave them to do my job...

It's just I wish I would have had this when I was at college on an evening I'm not expected blood sweat and tears for no pay.

This wouldnt be a job. This is a "come along with me for a few weeks and I'll show you a few things!" I'm not going to drop them off on site and leave them to do my job...

It's just I wish I would have had this when I was at college on an evening I'm not expected blood sweat and tears for no pay.

i suppose you could speak to the local collages and test centres and offer placements for trainees on the basis that there is no job at the end of it.

Very generous of you rodders,

"Come with me and I'll teach you how to be my new competition"

I am not joking this is a serious subject :

You can employ a helper who does what he is told and doesn't waste your time with questions, nothing wrong with him he is one of the many valuable assistants we can employ.

You can employ an apprentice who learns everything from you and his college time, he is a lot of responsibility can sometimes cost you a fortune or sometimes make you a lot of money.

You take a local Joe Soap who you don't pay, this gives him the right to ask and have the most difficult questions answered, he may or may not have the ambition to take on an apprenticeship, the smart ones don't they have learned enough to be nearest competitor maybe even employing you to sign off on their work.

Why give away the knowledge you should have paid a high price for?

Anyone who would want such an arrangement with me would want to putting a hefty wedge of cash on the table, why should I give away to one what I charge my customers for?

Very generous of you rodders,

"Come with me and I'll teach you how to be my new competition"

I am not joking this is a serious subject :

You can employ a helper who does what he is told and doesn't waste your time with questions, nothing wrong with him he is one of the many valuable assistants we can employ.

You can employ an apprentice who learns everything from you and his college time, he is a lot of responsibility can sometimes cost you a fortune or sometimes make you a lot of money.

You take a local Joe Soap who you don't pay, this gives him the right to ask and have the most difficult questions answered, he may or may not have the ambition to take on an apprenticeship, the smart ones don't they have learned enough to be nearest competitor maybe even employing you to sign off on their work.

Why give away the knowledge you should have paid a high price for?

Anyone who would want such an arrangement with me would want to putting a hefty wedge of cash on the table, why should I give away to one what I charge my customers for?

True I suppose. Loads of fast trackers already out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am a newly qualified gas engineer in...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just...
Replies
Views
Hi All I've just started out studying NVQ...
Replies
Views
Yeah that would be a good start lol, totally...
Replies
Views
I’m due to finish my level 2 next year and I...
Replies
Views
Back