Work experience | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Work experience in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Traineeplumber1

Hi guys, I'm a new member on here and I need HELP! I am desperate to become a plumber, I have completed a two year plumbing course at my local college in gloucester and have gained a little bit of experience. The problem is I have a house, bills and two children so I can't afford to be on minimum wage which is what the local plumbing companies have offered me. I am very hardworking and always willing to learn! I am thinking about starting my own plumbing business, its very scary but it's the only way that I can see how I can gain experience and become a plumber. I can keep working where i am now and then obviously just start off with little jobs and try and build up my portfolio. Has anyone on here done this before or can offer me any advice on how to start up? Thanks guys and I hope to read your responses!

Be prepared for some negative feedback, Id get some money together if you can and take a couple of months to put a portfolio together through working for free for someone...( if you can find someone) then branch out on your own. Thats what I did with the Gas its difficult though with a family, house etc Good Luck.

I can say that when I first started as a plumber, I did exactly what you are suggesting and did some small jobs while still working and when I was made redundant I went plumbing full time.

I would say that you need to pick your jobs carefully at first and know your limits or you will get in trouble. Plumbers merchants are always a good place to get advice if you are stuck because plumbers love the satisfaction of solving someone elses problem.

Advertise as much as you can afford as work can be hard to find at the moment.

Mark.

Stick with the financial security of employment for as long as you can.

There are a large number of plumbing businesses in Gloucestershire & in particular Gloucester, mine included all fighting for work. It's tough out there at the minute & if I had my time all over again I'd do it differently. I've known time served guys who come off the tools because they couldn't compete with some of the prices & to some extent the high expectation of customers who aren't willing to pay top price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi There Did you manage to get some work...
Replies
Views
Yeah that would be a good start lol, totally...
Replies
Views
I’m due to finish my level 2 next year and I...
Replies
Views
Any plumbers on here from the Nottingham Area...
Replies
Views
Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
Back