work/life balance | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss work/life balance in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
how do you guys go about your working day ? at the moment I'm subbing so its eating in the morning then working right through until late, sometimes finish for 4.30/5 if we have an easy one but most times its late finishes, I would obviously prefer to finish for 4.30 every day and have 2 tea brakes but just don't get enough money and need to finish job in x amount of time to make any money plus the fact that I'm about 40-50 miles away from my house when I'm working.

but even my own jobs I tend to not take any brakes and work late, which effects my social life either being late for dinner with the misses or having to cancel plans, I know in this game we can't exactly leave customers without water or gas/heating, I always try to get the gas and water back on for night at least they have cold water and can cook dinner or put fire on, what do you guys do ?

If the work is there, then I will work all day until about 8-9pm. I dont like it, but being self employed means you have to take the work while you can to save for the quiet weeks. Also working weekends means no going out on the lash with the lads, but means more money in the bank lol.

Its the frustrating part of working on your own. I get weeks where I cant fit in all the work I have, then some weeks I will have a couple hours one day, an hour the next. Worst if when you only have one job like a boiler service booked in for about 4pm, by the time 4pm comes round the last thing you want to be doing is getting changed into your work gear and going out to work.

Family, church, work - in that order (sometimes work comes second but never first).

Means money is tight sometimes but generally it's a much happier life for me and those around me.

I'm old enough to have learned that you can't have everything and at the end of the day, although money is important, other people are far more important. If you're working your socks off from 7:30am to 8/9pm then there's no time to enjoy home life and watching your children growing up.

so you have a set time when you finish and price accordingly for second visit even if you stayed on for another 2-3 hours you'd finish the job ???

Nope - stay to finish a job in those situations. Just make sure that every day of the week isn't like that. (Admittedly, it can be unavoidable during the winter, especially during ice/snow, but if I'm required at home then that's where I go at the requested time.)

My golden rule is not to leave the house before 7am, I try to be home for 5.30 pm. Now the winter is here i expect to be getting home a lot later. I try to make it back during the summer months when i am generally on the new build housing!!!!!!

most of the time i dont have trouble finishing work for 4-5pm most days. i dont work weekends as that is my time (although most if is spent catching up on paperwork) admittedly i do work the odd weekend if the customer is nice and really cant do any time in the week. i make a point not to over book my diary as i have learnt that those little jobs always end up taking twice as long as you think. on an average week id probably have 1 day each week where im fed up tired hungry and working till gone 8pm but very rarely do i work late, i like my home life too much.

If you are doing installs Gerry, a 12 hour day is a luxury until you learn how to speed up. As long as they are paying you enough it is bearable.

I like to be home at the latest 6pm & would rather be out the door at 5.30 in the morning to achieve that. Scheduled seated tea breaks are a distant memory & biting n slurping as I pass my sandwich are more likely to be the case. Hate working weekends but if I'm quiet for any day of the week & weekend work is offered then it's a no brainer.

I work 8 - 4.30 through the summer or I'm on a long drawn out job....that is by no means cast in stone.

Last week I worked 8am (on site) until gone 6pm (leave site) without stopping for a single break, just eating my sandwhich as I go. Worked saturday and Sunday as I had to have the under floor heating done for the floor fitter on Monday.

In the winter, when I do more call outs, I will reguarly work until 9pm, only taking a break as I drive between jobs, normally 6 days a week.

Its not good really...as when you get home there is paper work to do. This forum is a good distraction.

i dont mind working late on my own jobs, its just the subbing when ur working late it gets down to about £9 an hour, and sometimes through no fault of your own, i wouldnt mind if the prices were different instead of a fixed rate no matter what work is involved, if i start this other contract the prices will be more broken down and it will be nearer home so shouldnt be as bad

Like to be out the house for 7.30 (merchant opens), in the summer I set the alarm on my phone for 5.00 otherwise I would work on until dark. Winter might be a bit longer. It all depends what I'm doing, if staying two hours today will save half a day tomorrow then I'm all for it.

But, I like time with my family and strangely they like to see me as well! :) So there are times when I like to use my new favourite word - No! Maybe easier to say when busy and the bank account looks good. Work funds the things I like to do, by myself and with my family, if work was to stop me doing that, then what's the point?

Just my take on it.

I used to work late all the time and 7 days a week, for me it is counter productive, if Ive been working 7 days for a fort night come the next monday your that tired and fed up that you only get 50% of what your capable of doing when your on top form so ther really wasnt any point in me working sunday.
Its a cliche but life really is too short, I try and do a 8 to 5 now work steady and have 2 30 min breaks a day. Weekends are mine.

Gotta love the weekends, managed to get the fishing gear out for the 1st time in 4 years yesterday. went to a new lake with my old fishing buddy. had a cracking day. it made me realise how little free time you get. i even had 2 calls while i was sat on the bank (i did have the diary to hand as saturdays are always constant phone calls).

What were you fishing for? I have just started fishing again after about 10 years, its soo relaxing.

What were you fishing for? I have just started fishing again after about 10 years, its soo relaxing.

Went for the pike, had 2 jacks around 6lb in the morning and then a nice 9lb pike in last light overall it was a cracking day. just nice to sit and forget about everything, ahhhhh im going again next saturday to ;)

Nice, I have never gone fishing for pike as I dont have the proper gear for it. I just fish for carp, tench, bream etc. Would like to catch a few decent size fish but not get too much into specimen fishing where you can fish all weekend and not get a bite.

Nice, I have never gone fishing for pike as I dont have the proper gear for it. I just fish for carp, tench, bream etc. Would like to catch a few decent size fish but not get too much into specimen fishing where you can fish all weekend and not get a bite.

Winter is perfect for pike, i used to go for everything else in the warmer months, still never had a sturgeon or a moggy yet though. maybe next year will be the year hehehe.

Similar plumbing topics

I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Still got the leak when checked after he left...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I...
Replies
Views
I have the same problem can anyone help
Replies
Views
Anthony pyke
A
Back