work mate wrecked this pipe what will go on it? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss work mate wrecked this pipe what will go on it? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
2014-07-01 17.46.14.jpg2014-07-01 17.46.07.jpg

Hi, me and a mate have been working at this property. This black incoming mains pipe had a fitting screwed on to it, when my mate unscrewed it, it destroyed the thread. I didn't see it before this happened but was wondering if there's a fitting that can go straight on to it to start connecting up all the new pipework. We had a fitting for it the other night, it looked like an MDPE compression fitting but after we put it on the pipe it didn't 'grip' tight enough for our liking so we didn't even test it.

I think it's 3/4, so I'm thinking some sort of 3/4 to 15mm adaptor?

Any suggestions? thanks

You get alkethene fittings aswell as brass fittings for these , i used an alkethene adaptor few days ago when i was connecting existing water main to black alkethene
All fittings needed on this page from BES
MDPE, PIPE & COMPRESSION FITTINGS

You can adapt it to copper or MDPE pipe which ever you require,

Remember ash theres no linner in it so it wont take a proper grip unless the linner is inserted,

It's the old 3/4" mains from memory, any good merchants will stock the adaptors you need. Sometimes cutting an inch or two off and taking it in helps the merchants identify the right bits.
The fittings do feel a bit sloppy, but they take up with pressure and that can't have any lateral force applied worth out them jumping off. Don't try and mackle a brass compression fitting on it, whatever you do.

Leos bang on ash any merchants have them , i put that page up just to let see the pics but all carry stock,

I have made enough screw ups - if this was me it would be a drop in the ocean probably! :p

Its by far the best way to learn mate.

I was fitting a wireless room stat and receiver last week and wired the receiver into the low voltage side of the pcb on a vaillant. When I turned it all back on, it blew the board :-(

I had one unhappy customer and felt like a nob explaining what I'd done, but I'll never doing again...................hopefully :)

Woseley drainage centre do a 6 into 1 fitting that doesn't require an insert. I think it was philmac. But worth calling them to find out.

get a 22mm compression fitting and throw away olives and buy 3/4 olives and it will nip up a treat. get a 22mm insert for pushfit not the one with the o-rings.

job sorted.

oh and cut with a hacksaw not the scissor action cutters at it may be brittle.

2nd similar post in 24 hours lol

The thing is my mate tried that other fitting on Tuesday night which we knew was no good. I told him today he will need an insert of some kind and he didn't seem too fussed, think i'll leave him to it. Was only asking out of interest as it may help me out at some point in the future.

Similar plumbing topics

That's my next job - lift the nearby lid up...
Replies
Views
Hi mate i did a fast track MLP course it was...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Also I don't think he'll be able to get a bit...
Replies
Views
Back