work mates | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss work mates in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

W

woodytheplumber

Been working with a mate today giving him hand on a 4 bed detached ch install all was going great all rads tailed up and hung went out to his van got a bundle of 15 and 22 out shouted up where are the fittings he showed me 2 old F and E tanks just full of fittings but all mixed up and all mainly filthy with the occasional new one, I nearly died! I keep my fittings in metal organiser cases and on decent sized installs I buy a bag or 2 of each fitting use them out of the bags until there is little enough to organise in to cases again. he said he just plods though the tanks till he finds what he needs all the time. I ended up tidying my van (now using a vivaro rather than my old estate) to find 5 or 6 carrier bags tipped the tanks upside down and separated them so they were easy to get a. don't know how anyone can work in that sort of mess! rant over! ps I do have a bucket full of odds and sods like most people but my everyday fittings are organised!

I got three metal organisers from toolstation. Compression, Speedfit and end feed. Then I have a small assortment of fittings in my soldering bucket.

new fittings for every job i goto

i do have a bucket of end feed in van , a bucket of yorkshires ,a bucket off brass fittings and a gorilla bucket of waste fittings

its funny tho as i bet your mate could put his hand on anything he wants in his van and knows exactly where it is

It's always interesting to see how other plumbers operate... Chap I used to work with was similar, van a complete mess etc, one big pile in the back! I once spent over 30 minutes looking for his immersion spanner before he drove to the merchant & bought a new one... It was quicker!!

when I turn up to a job especially at the moment most of my work is reactive maintenance so I need to know exactly what I have and haven't got I just cant see how he would know he had enough elbows or sockets to complete the job without nipping out every 2 mins!

just out of interests how many of you guys are using Yorkshire fittings I always buy end feed for no real reason just always have the the occasional time I use Yorkshire I feel slightly lazy! ha ha

just out of interests how many of you guys are using Yorkshire fittings I always buy end feed for no real reason just always have the the occasional time I use Yorkshire I feel slightly lazy! ha ha

I have an odd Yorkshire fitting for those hard to reach areas, but it's end feed wherever I can. I do a bit of subbing on oil installs and he always buys solder ring for some reason :)

I used to work with a gse about a year ago think I put something on here about him he only used pressfit I used to assemble all the piperuns ect then crimp them all in one go I did look into buying the machine but it just got to be silly money he has moved to the isle of man now he used to use them on gas too they had a tiny yellow box saying gas on didn't seem right to me but it must have been

My journeyman's (mentor, whatever) van was a right tip, looked like it'd been rolled over 7 times. One day I took it upon myself to tidy up and organise it all, fittings in their own pigeon holes etc. Bad idea, he glared at me like I was a Polish immigrant while tipping everything out because he coudn't find anything.

Apparently it had always been an 'organised mess' and people with OCD like me need to "get a ****ing grip!"

woodytheplumber;527005 he showed me 2 old F and E tanks just full of fittings but all mixed up and all mainly filthy with the occasional new one[/QUOTE said:
Ha that takes me back. Every one i worked with, me included always had an expansion tank of fittings.
Now i'm a bit more orginised and have the van racked out with 20 or so compartments but i still carry a bucket of fittings into the job and top it up from the van as need be.

BTW don't buy fittings in packs of 2. Buy them 500 at a time and throw them in your bucket. Its much cheaper :wink:

Ha that takes me back. Every one i worked with, me included always had an expansion tank of fittings.
Now i'm a bit more orginised and have the van racked out with 20 or so compartments but i still carry a bucket of fittings into the job and top it up from the van as need be.

BTW don't buy fittings in packs of 2. Buy them 500 at a time and throw them in your bucket. Its much cheaper :wink:
my old man has a 10 gal tank full of fittings in his van one for copper one for brass,the brass one is bloody heavy i keep all mine in lin bins not a great idea considering its a land rover

Similar plumbing topics

The old adey ones had the same problems the...
Replies
Views
That's brilliant mate, thank you. I didn't see...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m looking for work as a trainee/mate...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Before doing this, check the level in the cold...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Back