Working away. | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working away. in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

villa_tom

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all,

From monday I'm going to be working away for a while, I have to find my own digs and as me and my mate are working there together the plan is to go down there tomorrow, do our days work then find somewhere to stop.

Ideally we would book a place to stay in advance but we're still not sure what area's we will be working.

I have checked soem of the major chains and there prices are well expensive, so do any of you guys know any cheap hotel chains out there? or any websites where you can search b and b's?

Regards

Tom

Premier inn , travel lodge cheap & cheerfull or a local B&B when you find it

The plan is to get down there and find a local b and b, and hopefully we will. I have checked travel lodge etc and the extra money we're getting to stop over just about covers it. I don't mind spending all the money on accomodation but if we can find somewhere cheap and make money on that too then its all the better.

I have worked away before but my company rented a house and put 4 of us in it to save on money the tight arses, while the heating engineers on the job were BBES they were getting 800 odd a week and found cheap digs and they had a great time, made me sick as we were lucky to get half of that and we were working from 8-6 and they werent

you want a little pub or something that has just a couple of rooms

Great idea!!!! I never thought of that! Hopefully should have my days work done by 4ish so we'll be trying to find somehwere after that. I'll keep my eyes open for pubs now. Thanks

infact tell a lie I cleared around £460 a week, and was finished for 1 on a friday, but still they were clearing over £800 and working from 8-4.30 mon-fri

I have worked away before but my company rented a house and put 4 of us in it to save on money the tight arses, while the heating engineers on the job were BBES they were getting 800 odd a week and found cheap digs and they had a great time, made me sick as we were lucky to get half of that and we were working from 8-6 and they werent

I've done all my calculations and I should be clearing 900 a week after tax then obviously take my fuel and digs out of that. But thats working long hours mon-wed and finishing thursday morning and have fri/sat/sun off. I had a mate who worked away and his firm rented a house and his pay was the same as if he'd worked at home.

I'm really not looking forward to it, but as you all know work is hard to come by at the minute and its better to be working than not

yess some companys do that to save on the costs, we only got an extra £50 a week for stayin away from home(£80 expenses but usually it was £30) the rest was overtime, alot of guys were wanting to work on the job until they found out that the money wasnt that great I went there thinking it would keep me in a job but it didnt

I work away regular, depends how long and where it is - but when you get where your goin travel lodge first night then local B&B , pub , grandma or whatever its all down to the money as we all know

I work away regular, depends how long and where it is - but when you get where your goin travel lodge first night then local B&B , pub , grandma or whatever its all down to the money as we all know

I've checked the local travel lodge etc and they all have lots of rooms spare, so I know worst case scenario I can stop there. If they only had a few rooms then I would book for the first night and then look for a b&b.

Learnt this from an old pipefitter I used to work away with. Monday after work (or dinner time if you can get away for an hour) Pop into tourist information and tell em what you're after and they'll usually phone round pubs and B&B's for you. We always ended up in great digs (usually a boozer) that were about £20 a night midweek with a proper breakfast, none of that bread an jam stuff! Only problem I had after that was spending all me extra money on beer every night to try and beat the boredom!

Last edited by a moderator:
weather like this, norfolk!.
take a tent.

Just back from a fortnight on a boat on the Broads, take a tent, take your thermals. Weather was moderate all bar three days.

Find somewhere with at least Monday night free (Premier, Travellodge etc) and find somewhere when you get there. I spent 2 years working away from home when I was 18-19, different at that age though. Find a small pub with a few rooms, normally a cracking breakfast, get a much better deal and friendlier service.

Going to work in norwich for the next few weeks. Not really looking forward to it but I'd rather this than be sat at home doing nothing

Blimey!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bit of advice VT stick to the roads and dont go out on the moors alone mate!!!!!!! also steer clear of anything with webbed feet and thats gonna be really hard to do!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

From monday I'm going to be working away for a while, I have to find my own digs and as me and my mate are working there together the plan is to go down there tomorrow, do our days work then find somewhere to stop.

Ideally we would book a place to stay in advance but we're still not sure what area's we will be working.

I have checked soem of the major chains and there prices are well expensive, so do any of you guys know any cheap hotel chains out there? or any websites where you can search b and b's?

Regards

Tom

hit a couple of pubs and ask the barstaff, they will sort you out, even if it is a private arrangement with someone who is looking for some extra cash, at least for a couple of days till you sort something more suitable

My advice is don't wait until you are actually in Norwich before you start looking. Check the web, make enquiries.

I did a job away once (only an over nighter) and we thought we'd easily find a place in the local travel lodge or similar. They were all full with other tradesmen, salesmen and the like. Eventually managed to find a nice pub to stay in, but we really did have a moment when I thought we'd be kipping in the truck - not comfortable.

Hi all

Thanks for all your ideas and help. We found a place to stop, it was a B&B and was £35 a night for a twin room so we just shared the cost. It didn't work out bad in the end, although we started looking at 2 and found one right by the pub where we started at 6!!

It was my first time working away and I quite enjoyed it, it was good to have the weather aswell. I'm back home now and off until monday when it all starts again. Oh, the joy!!!

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
  • Question
I forgot to say. All our radiator thermostats...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Check the pipe regularly, maybe there is...
Replies
Views
Yeah sorry, crappy powerpoint skills rather...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Seems like they would work, but you’d need the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back