Working for Builders | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working for Builders in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What type of prices do you charge Builders ? Do you charge them your usual rate ? or give them a wee discount to get more work ? a Builder is going to phone me sometime this week as he said he will have Boiler installs for me.

I was thinking of charging him £25 per hour labour rate plus a rate for notifying boiler and paperwork. What do you guys think ?

i think if you say £25 to a builder he will bite your hand off and pay you the £25 to fit the boiler, then he will be gutted when he realises you want that every hour you are there, £150 plus notification time is not too dear but to a builder it will be more than he wants to pay

I subcontract out quite a bit of work on bathrooms etc mate. When I'm looking for new subcontractors I usually tell them the rates I offer and then let them decide if they want to work on that price or not. The prices are normally around £25 per day less than the tradesmen could charge directly in our area. I figure this is fair though as they know when I call them that I have a guaranteed job and they will get lots of work out of me if they are good. Unlike most builders though I pay as soon as they have completed the job and invoiced me.

I would be keen to see what other people think.

he is leaving his current employer and starting his own business again i believe, doing extensions and general building work. He already has a plumber but he is not GS so that is where i come in handy I believe lol still don't know what he has to offer, I guess I'll wait to see what he has to offer before i negotiate

can't edit my post yet again, so some more info is that I haven't yet spoken to the guy someone has recommended me and he has seemed very interested since i am GS and he has said he has alot of work for me which is boiler installs.

If its reg work and he's only a joe bloggs builder then whatever your happy to earn a day off him say £150 ish plus extra if its boiler work . Set out payment terms tho and make sure who supplies materials etc as builders are nuisance payers at times .Most my work these days are main contractors so can up mr rates to a tidy sum .

Make sure you get everything in writing mate. My cousin got ripped off a while back by a well known builder in his area, he only got paid what the builder thought he should but he didn't have a contract specifying rates etc. so he couldn't do anything about it.

Make sure you get everything in writing mate. My cousin got ripped off a while back by a well known builder in his area, he only got paid what the builder thought he should but he didn't have a contract specifying rates etc. so he couldn't do anything about it.

debt collectores,winding up orders or chin him !

I never work direct for a builder, when approached by one I always ask to speak to customer direct. Give them price and invoice. Sometimes it works sometimes they're not interested.

For a day rate for builders anywhere between £150-£200 depending on the vibe I get from them and how quick they need it doing. Never supply my own materials and will only work a week in hand until I get paid otherwise I walk away.

As with SafeGas only do Boilers for a price. I try to go direct to the customer all the time and cut-out "Bob the Builder" as they will get a better deal and price off me.

For a day rate for builders anywhere between £150-£200 depending on the vibe I get from them and how quick they need it doing. Never supply my own materials and will only work a week in hand until I get paid otherwise I walk away.

As with SafeGas only do Boilers for a price. I try to go direct to the customer all the time and cut-out "Bob the Builder" as they will get a better deal and price off me.

Going straight to the customer also means the builder wont add his 20% on top of your price for nothing. If you go through the builder the customer then thinks your too expensive and would cross you off for any future work.

I've fitted boilers for builders. They can put their profit on the top. Why not?

Profit isnt a dirty word. They're the one that called, not the client. I give my price to the builder. I work directly for the builder and I'm sure he makes a small profit on the work.

I only work for builders that I know and trust, and they wouldn't like me going behind there back and poaching work independantly. The guys I work for pay me directly, and always promptly. I never work more than a week in hand, and on large jobs I give a price rather than a day rate. Finally my day rate is slightly less than I would charge jo public, but that reflects the fact that the builders I work for provide me with consistant work through the year.

Probably 20% of my work comes via this channel, and if you find an honest contractor, it can be a very happy partnership.

I honestly don't see the problem working for a builder as long as he pays on time and pays fairly, why go to the customer direct who cares if he makes a profit off it, If I sub contracted work out to a tiler/joiner/electrician etc I would be looking to make some profit off their work. As I say I haven't spoken to the guy myself yet but I'm just wondering what kind of prices to charge £25 an hour is about £200 a day for a normal 8 hour shift, and a little bit extra for notifying boiler and paperwork seems fair to me but I would not supply materials unless on my terms i.e Payment for materials as soon as on site or else it won't be getting fitted, I can't afford to get stung off no one. I have heard the guy seems like a good guy and he's openly slating his current employer due to them not paying sub contractrors for work, so I will see what he has to offer I think I'll let him name his price first before I name mine, I am just looking for a ball point figure that is a fair price.

Always work directly with the customer, as the builders extra 20% could be the end of your relationship with the client. If doing boiler installs remember there's a service awaiting annually. contact them.
If you do work for the builder, give him a contract with your terms, even dating when payments are due.
As most builders only want to pay when they've been paid !!
I've heard of some builders claiming that the customers haven't been paid the full amount, so yours is reduced or maybe they can't afford to pay you!!!!!
As soon as you have enough work to live off your own jobs, do it.

Its all down to experience. If you have a good guy and it works then all well and good. After all its all about earning a crust. But like I said before, I prefer to deal direct with customer or I walk away. The more links in the chain the more chance of being shafted.

Always work directly with the customer, as the builders extra 20% could be the end of your relationship with the client. If doing boiler installs remember there's a service awaiting annually. contact them.
If you do work for the builder, give him a contract with your terms, even dating when payments are due.
As most builders only want to pay when they've been paid !!
I've heard of some builders claiming that the customers haven't been paid the full amount, so yours is reduced or maybe they can't afford to pay you!!!!!
As soon as you have enough work to live off your own jobs, do it.

The only reason (in this scenario) you have a relationship with the client is because the builder has introduced you. Then you are suggesting you speak to the client as say you'll only work for them directly.

What if a builder wants you to first/second fix a bathroom that he's quoted on. He's going to have to organise other trades, but you are suggesting that everyone should bypass him am deal directly with the customer?

It doesn't work like that. Not for me and I've been both sides of the arguement.

If you bypass the builder and work directly for the client (cutting the builder out) you won't get any work from him again. You deal with him properly, turn up on time, have the right skills and equipment, and get your invoice in as soon as you're done. Chances are you'll be OK. As long as the builder isn't dodgy.

Totally agree with danny pipe , if the builder is giving you regular work then you be stupid to do the dirty behind his back every five mins . Come to an arrangement for the boiler upgrades and if your both happy he can price accordingly . Also if you need a builder to do work for you then its a feather in your cap as well .Interested to know why he's getting boiler changes tho is he advertising for them because if he is and no gsr its classed as illegal works and they will chase him .

I honestly don't see the problem working for a builder as long as he pays on time and pays fairly, why go to the customer direct who cares if he makes a profit off it, If I sub contracted work out to a tiler/joiner/electrician etc I would be looking to make some profit off their work. As I say I haven't spoken to the guy myself yet but I'm just wondering what kind of prices to charge £25 an hour is about £200 a day for a normal 8 hour shift, and a little bit extra for notifying boiler and paperwork seems fair to me but I would not supply materials unless on my terms i.e Payment for materials as soon as on site or else it won't be getting fitted, I can't afford to get stung off no one. I have heard the guy seems like a good guy and he's openly slating his current employer due to them not paying sub contractrors for work, so I will see what he has to offer I think I'll let him name his price first before I name mine, I am just looking for a ball point figure that is a fair price.

i could get you boilers to fit at £200 per job, plus £100 for pipe and fittings, swings & roundabouts on the £100 seems to be what the guys are saying, as you use more on some jobs than others but they usually manage to make something from each job, but there is extra if the boiler is moving position, send me a PM if you are interested in speaking to the boss of the install team and i will sort out a meeting, they dont have too many at the moment (like most folk i suppose) but it could supplement your other contacts

Totally agree with danny pipe , if the builder is giving you regular work then you be stupid to do the dirty behind his back every five mins . Come to an arrangement for the boiler upgrades and if your both happy he can price accordingly . Also if you need a builder to do work for you then its a feather in your cap as well .Interested to know why he's getting boiler changes tho is he advertising for them because if he is and no gsr its classed as illegal works and they will chase him .

Couldn't tell you mate, all I know is that he seems really ineterested maybe the $$$ signs appeared in his eyes when he noticed my Gas Safe Registration, an extra string for his bow to be able to offer more work and get more profit, as his current plumber doenst have his blue peter badge.

i could get you boilers to fit at £200 per job, plus £100 for pipe and fittings, swings & roundabouts on the £100 seems to be what the guys are saying, as you use more on some jobs than others but they usually manage to make something from each job, but there is extra if the boiler is moving position, send me a PM if you are interested in speaking to the boss of the install team and i will sort out a meeting, they dont have too many at the moment (like most folk i suppose) but it could supplement your other contacts

Sounds interesting Kirk thanks I'll give you a PM

I would be interested in this if you have any work near Leeds.

Similar plumbing topics

They’re working for £30/ hour, lots do.
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
V
  • Question
Firstly I'd counter their demand by asking for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You were lucky they bothered to show up. At...
Replies
Views
S
hi! I'll try to upload a picture but the pipe...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back