Working for estate agents | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working for estate agents in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Who here does work for estate agents?

What are the requirements if working on your own? Insurance/GSR/sorted for tax etc is there any special requirements because you're working for the estate agents that would be different to just going around for private customers?

Just been reading through some old threads and there seems to be a lot of horror stories where they are concerned so looks like something to avoid in the future, but be good to get the info so can stick it in my memory bank.

Thanks

I look after a few hundred for a local one along with another engineer , both me and him plus the estate agents are all in BNI , do at least 6 a week on average

I won't bother with them anymore. When they've got work it needs to be done NOW but payment usually comes MUCH, MUCH LATER. Plus liasing with 5 different people for one job gives me a headache.

Who here does work for estate agents?

What are the requirements if working on your own? Insurance/GSR/sorted for tax etc is there any special requirements because you're working for the estate agents that would be different to just going around for private customers?

Just been reading through some old threads and there seems to be a lot of horror stories where they are concerned so looks like something to avoid in the future, but be good to get the info so can stick it in my memory bank.

Thanks

Hey Ash --- Best advice is stick to ya guns! LOL End of the day they are not paying for the work it's the Landlords they say they are looking after who do! The estate agents are after their bit in my opinion so may be looking for the cheapest job so they can make the most profit! I'm just cynical though :)

Hey Ash --- Best advice is stick to ya guns! LOL End of the day they are not paying for the work it's the Landlords they say they are looking after who do! The estate agents are after their bit in my opinion so may be looking for the cheapest job so they can make the most profit! I'm just cynical though :)

just cause you are cynical doesnt make you wrong

your right there, i've a house i let through a letting /estate agent, they phoned me up a few months back asking if i wanted them to deal with the safety check, i said i'd do it myself but asked them how much anyway, she said £108+vat . unbelievable, bet the gsr guy doing there work is lucky to get half that. there making more than us, for doing virtually nothing.

one i work for stick 10% on every job i do, so they're charging landlords 50 quid a check..

obviously if anything needs a service or work, that price goes up, they're also really quick to pay me, normally paid within a few days.

they're not all the same

To answer your earlier question, yes you can carry out work for estate agents when you are self-employed, just as you can carry out work for other companies, builders, etc. The difference is you send company invoices for the work done, rather than fill in time-sheets as an employee. But as all the forum experts say, cash is king, and slow cash-flow (or non-payment) is the most common cause of hardship and business failures. When you're running your own business, you don't want to be spending half your time chasing debts!

Your threads are great, and I hope you're starting to get some paid jobs and business. And by the way, Armyash, when a customer says he wants a new tank in the loft, he doesn't mean a Challenger 2... :33:

Hi DIY Bob, thanks for the positive words, I appreciate it and it gives me encouragement to continue working hard!

Thanks for the information too, I know it's going to be a long hard road to getting regular work.

The guy who is letting me go out with him on weekends has told me to get GSR asap so i'm going to give it another 4 weeks (until my next payday). I know GSR want to see 3 services I have done and 1 install, the servicing will not be a problem but going to do an install on my own will scare me lol.

I'll try to remember about the Challenger 2! Thanks :)

I work for a couple of estate agents and have only had to wait a couple of times for payment.

They're flexible with work dates and try to give me the work instead of someone else.

In return I give them 14 days to pay. The invoice value is around 15-20% higher than the agreed price. If paid within 14 days then the discount comes down to the original agreed price.

I do this quite often and love it when people pay late as all the extra £10, £20 and £30 for late payment soon add up to a pretty price.

Similar plumbing topics

Biggest new build site in the southwest of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
thanks buddy will give it a try again tomorrow
Replies
Views
Good evening I am looking for a work...
Replies
Views
I would set the internal bypass to its max...
Replies
Views
I am writing from Italy where storage combis...
Replies
Views
Back