Working for the elderly | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working for the elderly in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

I

iain85

Does any one when working for the old tend to under charge? In particular I have one lady who is nearly 90 and doesn't seem short of cash but I seem to always under charge. I've completed a boiler service for £10 twice in the last 2 years. Yesterday did a pump swop for £20 + price of the pump.m do they have mysterious powers or am I just getting mugged off?

You and me both, mate. No matter how immaculate the home, overflowing drinks cabinet, nice car outside, clearly not struggling, but I see an old lady and feel obliged to drop my price. Stupid, really, I bet most of them are better off than I am!

My price is across the board, but I know where you're coming from. The odd freebie here freebie there ... always for the 'poor old dear!' In most cases I seem to end up sitting down and chatting for a good while too with those now aged and on their own :) I wouldn't have it any other way to be honest :)

Yeah I know it's nice to be nice but it did get me thinking that the oldies have orchestrated this spell on us trades people to give them cheap rates! Good to know I'm not alone.

It is like a superpower....they have an invisible field that just makes us do it. We have one very active old lady who is our best advert around the village so I don't begrudge the odd "rogue" one. One day we will be that age and hope a tradesperson is fair and prepared to take their time when we can't manage it ourselves.

Some Need a kick in the teeth. Wiring in a house of old zimmers, fixing few leaks and setting up zones and such like to help save £££ did job for a reasonable fee, bartered down . Finds out of bloke who recommended us that the custard bought his daughter a over finch ranger over for Xmas or something . My rate just tripled and he can shove negotiations up his spout! Blagged me for nearly £200, when he can spend nearly £80k on car for a friends daughter who he's not even shagging!

Didnt have that problem this morning, was servicing AGA and little old dear was chatting to her husband in next room, reading though paper, some articall about average wage being £22k and she say her pension is more than that.

Didnt have that problem this morning, was servicing AGA and little old dear was chatting to her husband in next room, reading though paper, some articall about average wage being £22k and she say her pension is more than that.

Well if it had been a Rayburn you would have heard, blimey twenty two thousand pounds..... We could only dream of that. But in AGA house oh that it ? Spent more last year on golf!

Just check this wasn't public - don't want them all to know!

We really charge everyone a fair rate - fair to us and them.

But their super powers do work on Mr TP, for no charge at all he will pop in on lots of the local oldies to check they are OK, to change settings on their thermostats or even change the batteries in their smoke detectors! And yes do some small jobs for a low cost - but that is for regular customers.

Perhaps Mr TP is hoping to keep them alive for one more year, that means 1 more boiler service at £55, perhaps a breakdown or even boiler replacement!

Don't forget though, some old people are vile - rude and obnoxious - or do we just have them in Kent?

Yes some a vile Mrs Tp. I am lucky that I seem to have avoided them so far! I do actually think that some of my oldie customers don't realise I'm doing them a favour! Clever sods.

Does any one when working for the old tend to under charge? In particular I have one lady who is nearly 90 and doesn't seem short of cash but I seem to always under charge. I've completed a boiler service for £10 twice in the last 2 years. Yesterday did a pump swop for £20 + price of the pump.m do they have mysterious powers or am I just getting mugged off?

Oap or not, £10 boiler service is just daft! She will recommended her friend who is then shocked your charging 5x more...?

Oap or not, £10 boiler service is just daft! She will recommended her friend who is then shocked your charging 5x more...?

I will then explain to the new customer that her friend holds mystic powers only understood by old people over me and it's not my fault.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Heating will run until hot gets up to...
Replies
Views
You'd have to have gas meter removed if you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
Ask the installer to get his supplier to...
Replies
Views
Back