Working on an Unvented Indirect Cyclinder with a Leaking T&P valve | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working on an Unvented Indirect Cyclinder with a Leaking T&P valve in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

S

Shadow750Rider

We have a 6yr old Titan 125 ltr Unvented Indirect HW Cyclinder in one of our estate properties and I suspect the T&P valve has failed as it's leaking quite badly into the tundish & onwards, and looks like it has for a while.

Now I do not have an Unvented ticket (Is that a G3?), & I have been told by my boss that I do not need a ticket to work on the cylinder. I have stated that I believe I do and so, perhaps understandably, I do not believe him, especially as he's already said he wants to save money in calling out a far more experienced and qualified Heating Engineer friend of his.

So I am looking for clarification of the facts and a way out of this before I get too far in, or something goes wrong later. He's the sort of guy who will leave me carrying the can. Of course I could just refuse but I'd like to have some facts to back me up and help me insist on the correct course of action to fix the cylinder.

Fortunately the new valve is not "off the shelf" and had to be ordered, frustrating him further, but it is likely to turn up on Friday.

So to clarify my question, am I right in my meagre understanding of Building Regs that such a cylinder must be installed and maintained by a "Competant Installer", i.e. G3 ticketed? If so, where can I get such information as proof?
Thanks,
Daz

As said quote the regs and tell him to ring the insurers up and see what they say,soon will be getting in the correct qualified plumber to do the works

The cost of getting a registered plumber in against the possible cost if anything went wrong is nothing

imho

Thank you to all. Your advice and support is very much appreciated. Another web-search found me the WRc-NSF site which gave me the information I need to quote, should it be necessary to do so. The insurance line is bound to be a bit of a clincher though, never mind the fact that if something major did go wrong, the tenant nor the bank staff directly below the flat aren't going to be best pleased by the flood.
Thanks again,
Daz

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it some thought but it hardly seems worth it as we've only one unvented cylinder on the estate and that property may well be handed back to the Duke of Norfolk's estate in the next couple of years. Things are rather slow to change around here. One property still hasn't got electricity.
Daz

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Clarification for the OP: John is referring to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Any pictures of the cylinder install ? The...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
MOSSEP
M
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back