working on roofs | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss working on roofs in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
what kind of safety measures do you guys have in place for working on roofs ??

Tight sphincter! ...LOL

Truthfully I rarely entertain the thought but have had a couple of w/air ridge tiles to replace.... Ladder and Henwalk is my way. But then i'm old school and think Health and Safety have gone a bit barmie!!!

Roofs scare me, only time I go up on one is when I'm doing my part time job as a fire man then I get all the gadgets in the world to do it plus help of 4 other firemen......

the best safety meassure for roof work is to get a trainee,
if they fall, theres another one available by morning.
if they cause dammage, just pack the gear away and leave them there to sort out their mistake.

labour available on other threads.

I am not really bothered by heights and can usually sort any roof work myself.

But I detest those small rosemary tiles (as the roofers call them) so I get a roofer in on those jobs because I have done a couple and they have taken me hours, where a roofer is up there less than one hour

cat ladders ?? the job im pricing at the moment is a vertical flue on a pitched roof 2 stories up, so the arse is flappin, but will need a more experienced head with me on this job so will see what they have to say about it. I don't mind heights or anything like that, I don't really mind working on roofs either but I've fell off a roof before and I don't want to be doing it again 2 stories up !

yeah but its more like the house is on the roof and the house has a roof aswell, so if your on the houses roof you fall down onto the roof of the building if you know what i mean lol

Just price in a roofer for an hour, thats all it will take them. Get them there when you are ready to do the flue.

Yeh good joke noose neck and the rest.

Around my area there are loads of 3 story terrace houses and access can be a real problem.

THE OP must have a genuine concern

I seen a guy walking around ontop of a tenement roof, with nothing to stop him falling, he walks walking around casual as all it took was one loose tile and he was a goner. The danger is not that bad on this job, its only a small fall but there is still that chance of falling over the main roof which is a higher drop of course. I was wondering if there is any way of securing yourself to something with a harness ??

Just price in a roofer for an hour, thats all it will take them. Get them there when you are ready to do the flue.

does the roofer have a tardis to get there and back?
do me a favour dont price any gas work for me for 1hr unless its in my own kitchen, book the guy for 3-4hrs he has a living to make, the customer has to understand this and pay the going rate

does the roofer have a tardis to get there and back?
do me a favour dont price any gas work for me for 1hr unless its in my own kitchen, book the guy for 3-4hrs he has a living to make, the customer has to understand this and pay the going rate

Thats all the roofer I use charges. Hasnt taken him more than an hour to do one for me soo far.

I just use an extension ladder and a roof ladder if its max two storeys and max 45 degree pitch, any more and its scaffolding or roofer or both

you will still do yourself some serious damage from 2 storeys up, i know a roofer who was about 50 odd when he fell from a 2 storey roof as he turned from the roof edge back onto the ladder so his feet were just above gutter height, he fell straight down, one leg went into the grass and one onto the path, because of the different surfaces the one on the grass sank in and the one one the path completely exploded, EVERY bone broken, he never worked again and can barely walk after about 3 years of operations, he was fully experienced and had worked on 1000's of roofs as a maintenance roofer/tiler, and didnt need a roof ladder on this job as it was only a 2 min repair to repoint a chimney

Similar plumbing topics

Yes it’s doable but I suspect it wouldn’t be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, they are removing the fuse from the spur...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Bit high for flashing on the window
Replies
Views
Atag let you go for the 600mm clearance away...
Replies
Views
No problem with the 900mm from openings as it...
Replies
Views
Back