Working out area / volume | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working out area / volume in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

B

billybongo

Would one of you bright people be so kind as to show me how to work out
the area of a cylinder 900mm high x 450 dia and subsequently the volume. I have looked at other net sources but cant see the wood for the trees , many thanks mark :confused:

Hi. The formula is pie r squared times length. Eg 450 mm diameter divided by 2 will give you radius. (also work in metres rather than mm)
So 0.450 / 2 = 0.225
0.225 x 0.225 = 0.0506 x 3.142 (pie) = 0.01589 (area in M squared) x length= 0.0589 x 0.9 =0.143 cubic metres x by 1000 = 143 litres and mass in Kg at 4 degrees C (to gallons divide by 4.55)

Get an i phone, they have an "apt" for that ..... the lad that has been with me uses his for everything .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. The formula is pie r squared times length. Eg 450 mm diameter divided by 2 will give you radius. (also work in metres rather than mm)
So 0.450 / 2 = 0.225
0.225 x 0.225 = 0.0506 x 3.142 (pie) = 0.01589 (area in M squared) x length= 0.0589 x 0.9 =0.143 cubic metres x by 1000 = 143 litres and mass in Kg at 4 degrees C (to gallons divide by 4.55)

this calculation would be correct if the cylinder was round with square top, but it has a domed top, the capacity of a 900x450 is 117litres, (i googled copper cylinder and looked at someones product sheet)

[DLMURL="http://www.newarkcoppercylinder.co.uk/cylinders/information/capacitycalc.php"]Cylinder Capacity Calculator | Newark Copper Cylinders[/DLMURL]

Any good?

if it helps a litre of water weighs approx 1kg and fills 100mm x 100mm x 10mm depeding on temp i think

Last edited by a moderator:
in that case then the word cylinder states it is a standard cylinder and has nothing to do with a copper cylinder used in plumbing

One would ask why this question is on here??? As it is strictly a mathematic natured question

The answers you require are:

Area = 450 x pi x 900 = 1,272,345.02 mm^2

or 1.272 m^2

Volume = (450/2)^2 x pi x 900 = 143,138,815.00 mm^3

or 0.143 m^3

logical in a way but being a written exam paper question it is regardind a stand perfect cylinder, not a hot water cylinder as this is not mentioned in the question

So a domed top or what ever is irrelevant

Plumstar tom , sorry if you think the question should not be on the forum and wasteing valuable space , most people didnt seem to look at it from that angle thankfully .

Hi. Billybongo I agree a bit of arithmetic is paramount in the plumbing and heating trade. Without it all sorts of thing can be installed below par. And often are.

It was the drawing of a standard cylinder and as said school leavers should know this .
Its a long time since ive dealt with this sort of thing , a workmate brought the paper in as it was for his lad , it also had a drawing of a fully pumped system and he had to name the components , quite easy i guess when you can bring the paper home .

The actual capacity of a 450 x 900 cylinder is as kirk says 117 litres. When measuring the height measure to the bottom of the dome eg 740. As the bottom is concave it cancels the top dome out.
so 3.142x.225x.225x.74=0.1177m2=117litres=117kg

Similar plumbing topics

I said in another post, heat pumps have been...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Working at a flow temp of 30 ? As a dt of 30...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm away this weekend but I will try...
Replies
Views
Back