Working out what system i have? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Working out what system i have? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

E

E3iron

Hi All

I have a problem i seem to have 3 stopcocks one under the kitchen sink for the cold supply, 1 in the bathroom for the cold, and one in the airing cupboard for the hot. All three have seized so i want to replace them. but i'm not sure which stopcock would isolate my flat, i know i can isolate from the outside stopcock. But i'm studing plumbing at college at the mo but i can't work out my system.

I'm on the 3rd floor of a 4 storey block, in the airing cupboard i have the supply pipe which is feeding the (tank) which i think is gravity feed from a large cistern in the roof of the block. It looks as if the i have one pipe feedin the hot to the kitchen and another feeding the bathroom. The Kitchen and bathroom looks as if they have both got a different cold water feeds.

Is this possible?

Kitchen sink cold will be mains,stopcock under kitchen sink for this and maybe loops up to your tank in roof area or may have another stopcock near tank
your hot and cold in bathroom will most likely come off tank in roof
stopcock in bathroom will isolate cols supply to bath taps
stopcock in airing cupboard will isolate cylinder and all hot taps

but then again......:)

Thanks puddle

Thats along the line i thought, but in the bathroom the cold feed, feeds the bathroom and then goes through the wall and out of my property, the hot is supplied by the the pipe in the cupboard which comes from roof, which is a large pipe say 38mm cooper of Steel, hence the reason i thought this was the main water supply.

Is this common to have 3 so called mains? So will the do one in my cupboard stop the water to the heating do i can drain the system and change some rads?

Thanks puddle

Thats along the line i thought, but in the bathroom the cold feed, feeds the bathroom and then goes through the wall and out of my property, the hot is supplied by the the pipe in the cupboard which comes from roof, which is a large pipe say 38mm cooper of Steel, hence the reason i thought this was the main water supply.

Is this common to have 3 so called mains? So will the do one in my cupboard stop the water to the heating do i can drain the system and change some rads?
that depends on what heating system you have is it a combi?sounds like an ex council place cold will be fed from common down service in bathroom
main from shared main in kitchen hot depends on what youve got cylinder or combi?

Your correct it is a ex council flat and i have a cylinder. I just can't understand why i have 3 entry points for my water. The feed in the cupboard looks like it supplies the whole block, the feed in the bathroom just goes into the wall towards the adjoining flat and the cold supply in the kichen comes out of the housing where the waste pipe is which supplies the whole block. So as i understand it:
The airing cupboard feed supplies the cylinder and the hotwater to the bathroom and Kitchen.
And the kitchen and bathroom have there own cold feeds.

So if i stop the feed in the airing cupboard, will this enable me to drain the cylinder and replace my rads.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks for the reply and information so far...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you and from what my neighbours have...
Replies
Views
The mains water is now feeding everything in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
  • Question
Has anything been changed, or added recently?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back