working the festive holidays | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss working the festive holidays in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
who is all working then ? I'm on call for breakdowns/emergencies apart from christmas eve/day, boxing day, new years eve/day. Is it any harder to get parts at this time of year because of the holidays ?

Id stock up on all the usual suspects, pumps, thermocouples, motorised valves just incase, you just know that if you get called out it will be the part that you don't have that you need! My phones going off from 23rd...

dont want to be going and spending money on spare parts that i might not use, would rather buy when needed not got cash to splash on stock lol

Fair point, i try to keep one of the basics on the van, gets me out of trouble every now and again.

thermocouples, pump (either 15/50 or 15/60 or both) 2 port valve, 3port valve and a gianni diverter valve kit (not exactly universal but a lot of older combis have these fitted). If you know what makes of boiler are used most round about your area it should give you a rough idea of what parts you might need, might take a while to suss it all out though.

I won't turn my phone off and will work on a call out basis. I will even go out on Christmas day if the money is right, no mates rates or ordinary rates for me here. It'll be double time,

I will get my £50k this year.

depends, a lot of them shut for stocktaking etc. Im sure if you get on with your local guy they would pull out the stops for you, things like that get remembered.

im off from 23rd till the 3rd of jan, tis the only time off i have had this year but ill be keeping the phone on for emergencies only.

I don't do any work from 23rd through to the 9th of Jan and the boys are off too. Never have and never will and don't care if the water is running through my best customers ceiling. I ain't answering the phone and dilligaf. Always 2 weeks off at xmas and new year and this year is one of the best years for the fortnight off.
The merchants should be open between xmas and new year. Probably from the wednesday as xmas is a sunday so monday and tuesday will be statuaries.

Gerry if you are doing boiler swaps keep a couple of decent pumps and valves as a back up and rip the guts out of the vokeras and worcesters. If you are stuck offer them with a 3 month guarantee........they won't break down. Thermocouples are a couple of quid each for universals. Keep some of those in the van. Anything else they can wait.

well i am on call as usual, as i normally carry a reasonable range of spares in the van so don't need to bother on any extra stocking up, will just replace whatever i use as normal when suppliers re open.

Bob

I'm too soft not to answer the phone, we went out xmas day last year. Won't arrange anything saturday-tuesday but arranging a boiler install for wednesday and thursday. I am going away for 5 nights in Jan though so want to keep earning.

Similar plumbing topics

Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
It's not impossible but I doubt that the...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much for your help.
Replies
Views
  • Question
My new years resolution is " No to Sweets &...
Replies
Views
Back