Worktops | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worktops in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

B

Bernie2

I recently came across a worktop type I have never seen before.

They are about 60mm thick but they are not solid.

They are hollow core with two pieces of thin chipboard separated by cardboard egg crate (okay I know its probably got a proper name, but I can't think what it is) and then its covered with what looks like some kind of sheet material.

Apparently they are all the rage in Europe and have green issues involved.

In practical terms "How does it wear and is it any good?"

I must admit being a traditionalist it doesn't look very strong and not one I would instinctively choose for a semi professional working kitchen environment perhaps.

I am willing to learn about them, I could be wrong, so if anybody knows anything about their long term use? :):)

Also how do you hold an inset sink top down in them?

Last edited by a moderator:
They're fine in terms of strength but a little tricky to join with a butt & scribe joint as there's nothing for the connecting bolts to hold on to.

i would also be interested to know more about this type of worktop because i actually have a semi recessed basin to fit into one soon and am trying to find some form of bracket that will hold the basin down to the worktop

steve

Hi! steveb

That is my problem as well.

Somebody fitted a sink top in one, but as far as I can tell it has got no hold down brackets on. They seem to have stuck it down with clear silicon, unfortunately it seems to have a slight buckle in it and so it is coming away from the work top.

I Googled it and apparently you can get extension brackets,to add on to your existing brackets to make them longer, problem is where do you get them?

I imagine any inset basin or sink would have the same problem and its probably best to sort the brackets out before fitting one. As usual it seems its the little things that may take the longest.

Ikea sell them and you cant do a join. I went to help a joiner mate of mine on a job and he walked when he saw the worktop. He was very polite about it but explained the are really suited for free standing kitchen furniture or situations where a join is not required. You simply can't guarantee seal a join in this type of material or bolt it. It is very strong so no worries if you do use it.

is that what they call it, catchy title eh?

1970s? i dont recalll them in the 70s but i was only a babe. ive seen a few of them done lately and they look really good

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hope to be living the French way next year!
Replies
Views
Back