Worried. Nearly qualified but badly managed apprenticeship how can I get help and experience. Who w | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worried. Nearly qualified but badly managed apprenticeship how can I get help and experience. Who w in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big Dave

Coming upto successfully completing my level 2 plumbing. However my apprenticeship has been very bad offering me hardly any practical experience, masses of paperwork as company has to do checks or it is fined. Hours driving instead of learning. Zero practice at basic installation. Fallen behind my classmates in terms of practical work even though I'll qualify. What can I do to get alternative employment and experience to get me up to scratch? Any advice welcome.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
In my experience very few apprentices are lucky enough to be taught. Apprenticeships are more of a tradition than a proper way to train up the next generation of tradespeople. I have no idea how they expect us solo guys to do the task because big businesses take on so few its laughable.

I have changed my employer after level 2 and it helped me alot. So I would advise you to find someone else to work with. You can change employers as many times as you like just make sure you enrol on level 3 with this employer first then you have plenty of time to find another for the portfolio. Just dont go round telling people you left because not every college will let you stay on the course while you find another boss.

Good luck!

From an employer's perspective it's a tricky one. With domestic plumbing not being such a good earner these days and minimum wage rising each year it's becoming more difficult to make apprenticeships work within a small plumbing business.

That said Dave, none of that is your fault. Your best option will be to finish your Level 2 course and then look at moving. That way you will be worth more to a new employer as you've already completed the first qualification.

There's a small amount of paperwork in the job but you shouldn't be doing that on an apprenticeship really.

Coming upto successfully completing my level 2 plumbing. However my apprenticeship has been very bad offering me hardly any practical experience, masses of paperwork as company has to do checks or it is fined. Hours driving instead of learning. Zero practice at basic installation. Fallen behind my classmates in terms of practical work even though I'll qualify. What can I do to get alternative employment and experience to get me up to scratch? Any advice welcome.
Have you thought about putting your plight out on twitter with the area that you live in? By the sounds of it you are crying out to be a professional trades person and by coming on this forum with your dilemma you obviously care. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I
Hi fuzzy. After an interview with the ceo in...
Replies
Views
innertemple
I
Back