Worrying my Speedfit to Copper might leak please help! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Worrying my Speedfit to Copper might leak please help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan Cordt

Hello

I put an outside tap in for someone today, i tee'd of the cold feed to the cold tap in the kitchen using a speedfit tee onto the copper.

I connected everything up & turned the mains on and the connection to the tap was leaking at the speedfit joint.

I thought i had pushed the pipe in the full way but obviously i had not.

I turned the water back of and couldnt seem to push the pipe in anymore so i tigtened the knuckle of the speedfit with some water pump pliers and that seemed to work as there was no leaks.

I satyed for half an hour and the tee was bone dry.

Now i am worried as its on mains pressure it could dismantle itself and flood the kitchen of the client.

Has this ever happened to anyone before or am i just worrying to much????

Someone please put my mind to rest!

your first mistake was using speed fit , try hep20 or soldering even better

bet you a mars bar you back within 2 week

Cold mains pressure rises at night as less people are using it, if you don't feel confident you would maybe be better going back and fitting a compression tee.

its possible, personally if i have a leak on a push fit fitting i always remove it, check it and re install.

May I suggest that if you're that worried you arrange a return visit before noah needs to build another ark?

Thanks everyone, i have arranged to go back saturday morning 1st thing and replace with a compression tee.

Cant go in tomorrow as he is away for the day but he has agreed to turn the water of before he leaves the house.

Cheers!

Alan.

Check that the copper pipe isn't bashed. Even a tiny hard to see dent can cause the O ring and grab ring not to completely seal. Last time this happened to me was when I had to move a earth strap connector further down the pipe and the wee bolt that tightens it had dented the pipe not so I'd notice it and the fitting I put on leaked.
Absolutely nowt wrong with Speedfit, never had one problem with it. It's only considered diy as it's on sale in the large sheds while Hep is not and diy'ers would also use Hep if it was more readily available. Hep is just another brand and no better but dearer. Using copper all the time doesn't make anyone super plumber, every pipe system has a time and a place that it works best, or we'd all still be using lead pipe.

I agree. I got work experience for a year with a guy who'd been plumbing 20 odd years and been installing speedfit for most of it and never had a single problem. Personally that's all the proof I need.

If I have speedfit fittings that have been sat in the van a while I always give them a spray with silicone lubricant as the O rings can dislodge if the fittings are too dry.

Personally I prefer Hep although not too keen on the new white hep fittings. I liked to dismantle them after fitting to check the O & grab rings but can't do that easily with the new ones.

On a big install then it's too expensive. Lower margin for the installer if you have to compete on price. Repairs then they're perfect. I'm not wasting any time with getting out water of pipes, burn mats etc... Just pop one on and bill the client and on your way. Perfect.

For the OP, speedfit should be installed with copper that has been cut with a slice or the sharp edges with damage the o-ring. Or use the insert at least to give a bevelled edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Any pictures of how you’ve installed it ?
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you on mains water? I had the same problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
Back