Wrong Oil Tank - what's the point? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Wrong Oil Tank - what's the point? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Just been to a job where the customer has just had an oil company supply and fit a brand new oil tank to replace an old plastic tank that was apparently in poor condition.
They have just used a single skinned oil tank. Think nearly every regulation is broken. If it leaks it will go into neighbours lower property & no doubt into drains & sewers.
I can't believe she has been given an invoice for all this work. I would have sleepless nights if I had done the work & given it on paper. What is the point in regs if big company's flout it?

you say no doubt into sewers etc, but if it doesnt have a risk of run off then they havent broken any rules. However, I do just install bunded tanks unless there is an access/room issue and one isnt needed.

you say no doubt into sewers etc, but if it doesnt have a risk of run off then they havent broken any rules. However, I do just install bunded tanks unless there is an access/room issue and one isnt needed.

I didn't look carefully, but I am certain if that oil tank floods oil, it will run into gulleys. The ground falls very slightly towards front of bungalow & to neighbours. The tank is too close to roof I think.
Thankfully not my problem, but my thinking is, say this brand new tank bursts open due to factory defect & floods sewers, storm drains, neighbours, etc. Who is responsible for the damage? I think the installers. And in a less likely scenario, if there was a fire at the house, the tank is too close to the roof.

I'm not an often oily but you guys do seem to have some crazy regs on these tanks lol!!

How often has a plastic tank ever split anyway? Plus it's made out that oil is the most flammable liquid on earth, but I remember reading in my textbook at college that if you threw a match in a tank of oil it would go out!!! I do understand the risk to it leaking in the ground etc tho as its nasty stuff & can soak into any water mains & water streams I guess!

Just been to a job where the customer has just had an oil company supply and fit a brand new oil tank to replace an old plastic tank that was apparently in poor condition.
They have just used a single skinned oil tank. Think nearly every regulation is broken. If it leaks it will go into neighbours lower property & no doubt into drains & sewers.
I can't believe she has been given an invoice for all this work. I would have sleepless nights if I had done the work & given it on paper. What is the point in regs if big company's flout it?
I'd b the same as you Best. You worry cos u hav a conscience ( not sure it that spelt right). A lot of lads out there don't give a fiddlers

The oil contaminating the ground, especially a neighbours, will likely cost many £1000s for a proper health & safety clean up. But if it gets into sewers, rivers or other drains, then I bet the insurances will be looking for the installer if it is the wrong tank, or fitted badly.
A lot of new tanks have leaked - even nearly new. Titan had to replace them & no doubt pay out for any damage. I just think if oil does run everywhere due to a new tank failing, that means the maker has to provide a replacement tank, but surely if it wasn't a bunded tank then the installer is at fault for the spillage which would have been prevented if proper tank was used.

I'm not an often oily but you guys do seem to have some crazy regs on these tanks lol!!

How often has a plastic tank ever split anyway? Plus it's made out that oil is the most flammable liquid on earth, but I remember reading in my textbook at college that if you threw a match in a tank of oil it would go out!!! I do understand the risk to it leaking in the ground etc tho as its nasty stuff & can soak into any water mains & water streams I guess!

You're right in a way, oil is incredibly hazardous to the environment and does have a low flash point. But what happens when adjacent structures catch fire through accident or arson?

ARSON PROBE AFTER SHED AND OIL TANK SET ON FIRE | Belfast Daily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If it's not fire rated tank. Knock up a stud...
Replies
Views
Regulations for a fill pipe in a domestic...
Replies
Views
The worst oil boiler ever to hit the market...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes, The size of the external expansion...
Replies
Views
Back