0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 0.5mb drop on tightness test - Should I be worried? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice/reassurance. My boiler had its second annual service today and the (gas safe) engineer recorded a 0.5mb drop on the tightness test. He assured my partner that this was nothing to worry about but as I wasn't home at the time I just wanted reassurance that this is okay? British Gas did the first service and it was nowhere near as comprehensive as carried out today. I suspect this result would have appeared first time around but either the test wasn't carried out or it wasn't recoreded.

As we only have the boiler and hob running on gas is there anyway this "leak" can be located? Isolate the applicances indivually? Sniffer test? Or is this harder to find than a needle in a haystack?

And lastly, is this likely to be increasing our gas bill?

I should say the engineer was in no way worried and has signed off job sheet as safe so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Thanks,

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice/reassurance. My boiler had its second annual service today and the (gas safe) engineer recorded a 0.5mb drop on the tightness test. He assured my partner that this was nothing to worry about but as I wasn't home at the time I just wanted reassurance that this is okay? British Gas did the first service and it was nowhere near as comprehensive as carried out today. I suspect this result would have appeared first time around but either the test wasn't carried out or it wasn't recoreded.

As we only have the boiler and hob running on gas is there anyway this "leak" can be located? Isolate the applicances indivually? Sniffer test? Or is this harder to find than a needle in a haystack?

And lastly, is this likely to be increasing our gas bill?

I should say the engineer was in no way worried and has signed off job sheet as safe so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Thanks,
There are permissible drops depending on meter and installation as long as you can’t smell gas.
However if the test was carried out with all appliances isolated and it dropped it’s not allowed.

Nope it’s fine and depending on how he did the test eg water gauge it’s not even readable/ notable at 0.5 mbar

I wouldn’t tbh tho

That is only if there is an actual leak which unless the same method was used a number of times it could the temporary connection made to do the test

Thanks for the reassurance!

Is it possibe to locate the "leak" if we get someone back to isolate the boiler and gas hob?

You could get a gas engineer out to come and investigate. As most people have said if there is no smell of gas I wouldn’t worry.

If you decide to isolate appliance and there is still a drop. You may have to repipe the installation.

It’s very difficult to find a 0.5 Mbar drop.

Its within tolerance pal , strange you can have a gas leak but its ok .
Agree with you, why not having 0 tolerance ... pipes should be also tested with higher pressures than just 20mbar. How often you have got steel gas pipe which could be have pinholes or hairline cuts which wouldn’t be shown with lower pressures also too holes and cuts will be covered by internal products. Pipes should be tested with 1bar for 30min. Basically you look for weaknesses on joints and pipes. But that’s the way we do it in Germany ... would be worth to introduce the 0 tolerance

Agree with you, why not having 0 tolerance . pipes should be also tested with higher pressures than just 20mbar. How often you have got steel gas pipe which could be have pinholes or hairline cuts which wouldn’t be shown with lower pressures also too holes and cuts will be covered by internal products. Pipes should be tested with 1bar for 30min. Basically you look for weaknesses on joints and pipes. But that’s the way we do it in Germany . would be worth to introduce the 0 tolerance

So your going to test a gas pipe with water

Agree with you, why not having 0 tolerance . pipes should be also tested with higher pressures than just 20mbar. How often you have got steel gas pipe which could be have pinholes or hairline cuts which wouldn’t be shown with lower pressures also too holes and cuts will be covered by internal products. Pipes should be tested with 1bar for 30min. Basically you look for weaknesses on joints and pipes. But that’s the way we do it in Germany . would be worth to introduce the 0 tolerance

we don’t use steel for gas pipes in domestic properties. The permissible drop is to cater for old gas valves on appliances, pipework only has to be totally tight.

A domestic gas installation should be tested at 1 bar for 30 mins ?
Standing pressure is usually well below 30mbar and working pressure 21 +\-2 so probably a bit overkill.
I do agree with zero tolerance though, that’s alway what I aim for anyway even if it’s within permissible drop.

A domestic gas installation should be tested at 1 bar for 30 mins ?
Standing pressure is usually well below 30mbar and working pressure 21 +\-2 so probably a bit overkill.
I do agree with zero tolerance though, that’s alway what I aim for anyway even if it’s within permissible drop.

So what would you do if there’s a 1.5 mbar drop

Or an 7.5 mbar drop on an electronic one

I’d try and find where it was coming from and repair if possible.

No need there both classed as acceptable with appliances on the line and no smell, if you did oversell you could be done and gas safe envolved if the customer was that way

So if in that situation, you had a 3mbar drop on a g4 metre, your conscience gets the better of you and you decide to investigate. You isolate the appliances and prove the pipework is sound. You then test each appliance individually and find the gas valve on the fire is passing. What then? Do you leave it or have to condem it?

What do you mean ?
I could be done for trying to find a leak ?
I know it’s permissible but surely it’s better to be 100% tight if possible ?

next time you do a test after your done put your hand on the gas pipe and watch the gauge now imagine a windy / cloudy day the gauge could go down 3 - 4 mbar for nothing just a bit chilly

And yes as it’s within safe limits so in short your making work for your self

Similar plumbing topics

Contact the op if you can help
Replies
Views
Mate, all you need to do is everything, to...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back