4 boilers for 4 flats | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss 4 boilers for 4 flats in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hey chaps, need a bit of advice. I have just been to look at a job where the client wants 4 boilers for 4 two bedroom flats. All with one bathroom. They do not want top of the range boilers. I know you usually check water pressure and flow when installing a combi but do you think I could just put a 24kw boiler in? They are small flats so the heating requirements not a problem.

Never had a job like this one before. So any advice would be great.

Cheers chaps

p.s. if you run a gas pipe under floorboards on the 3rd floor, will this be classed as a duct?

Ideal Logic+ 24 would be my option. They say they don't want top of the range, but you know who'll be getting slagged off for fitting a "cheap, nasty boiler"! At least you're arse will be covered for 5 years with an Ideal!

Not too sure on regs, but I think I read somewhere that you can't run services for one flat through anothers floor space.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about the logics. Nice that it comes with a 5yr warranty. Have you fitted the ideal? Will it fit in a kitchen cupboard? it would actually be the flats floor space not anyone elses. I guess it would be the flats below ceiling space. Am guessing a duct will be the option

I'd go for Logic too. Make sure it's logic+ for 5 year warranty. It's a cupboard fit.

Also, ring round for best price and make sure they know you're buying 4. Might even be worth talking to rep.

If the builder/developer specifies the type and size of boiler then you are installing what they have asked for.
You could look at the Ideal Independant plus, same warranty but a bit cheaper.

i need to size them. they just gave me the plan to size rads. Looks like it is going to be logics. Good advice that Tb. I shall ask around. Usually I just go straight the the forum sponsor

Might be worth looking at Main
If you join the potterton/Main Works you can get up to 7 years warranty as an add on charge - worth a look.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about the logics. Nice that it comes with a 5yr warranty. Have you fitted the ideal? Will it fit in a kitchen cupboard? it would actually be the flats floor space not anyone elses. I guess it would be the flats below ceiling space. Am guessing a duct will be the option
I've only fitted one Logic+, but I was impressed with it. Very easy to install and performed well.

i need to size them. they just gave me the plan to size rads. Looks like it is going to be logics. Good advice that Tb. I shall ask around. Usually I just go straight the the forum sponsor

I always forget about Williams as they aren't up here. Ideal warranty can be upgraded to 7 years for £105 too.

I like the glowworm betacom as a budget combi, fitted a fair few over the last year as they are very cheap from city plumbing. Gas runs for flats can be a nightmare, if you can run externally it will be better. You cant run through other properties with gas pipes and running them up the communal hall/stairway is a nightmare as it is classed as a protective shaft and fire proofing comes into play.

Logics are a decent boiler, i've fit quite a few over the couple of years and (touch wood) only had 1 problem and that was dirt in the cold main blocking the flow turbine.

Thanks guys. Here is the layout of one of the flats. They are all the same size and they have no pipework in place. It is just outside the building. The cold mains and the gas SOil pipe, guttering. What time frame do you think it would take for 3 people? And also a rough estimate. plumb0808 was spot on with the quote i last did so it is good to know if i am quoting right. The location is streatham.

Also, the client said that they want to buy the materials but for me to find. What do you do in these situations? I would like to make a nice bit on the 20% markup but like this It will not be possible 2013-05-16 20.00.12.jpg

I like the glowworm betacom as a budget combi, fitted a fair few over the last year as they are very cheap from city plumbing. Gas runs for flats can be a nightmare, if you can run externally it will be better. You cant run through other properties with gas pipes and running them up the communal hall/stairway is a nightmare as it is classed as a protective shaft and fire proofing comes into play.

I know am going to have problems with this then. The kitchens are in the center and at the back of flats while gas meters is outside at front of the property. Terraced houses i thinks too

I know am going to have problems with this then. The kitchens are in the center and at the back of flats while gas meters is outside at front of the property. Terraced houses i thinks too

I had this issue with 9 flats I did last year. The options for protective shaft gas runs are to run in steel barrel pipework, no one wants this as it is ugly. Or box in copper, but the boxing in has to have the same fire rating as the rest of the area. Also you will want to keep the boxing under the required volume before you have to ventilate as you want ventilate it into the communal area.

If the client wants to supply materials, let them source it or bill them for your time. One of the reasons I add a percentage to material costs is the time spent sourcing, picking up etc. If they want a materials list and best place to buy from then definitely charge them for the time spent.

As for how long it will take, im guessing it will be a total refurb and other trades will hold you up etc. With these jobs there is always a fair bit of time spent waiting for other people to do there bit so you can do yours.

thanks mfgs. I was thinking of barrel but as you say, it is ugly. Quite a tricky one really. I am waiting for an excuse to buy a rems eve ratchet threader. Keep asking my wife but she is not letting me at the moment. I guess I can charge them for the materials list. Or maybe just add it onto the quote. But it is still not as much as it would be purchasing the materials:sad:

the gas for the ground floor will have to be surface run or boxed in at a guess. The upstairs you may be able to run up outside of building and into loft?

if the builder is supplying materials then make sure you add 1/2 to a days labour on for waiting for materials and if you have to make up the materials lists for him then add that time into the price aswell.

break the price down into stages, like 1st fix, 2nd fix, final fix and commission. List what is included in the price, ask if your fitting the shower, shower screen, gas hob, etc..... if these are not included and then its asked for you to do extras then a day rate will need to be charged.

labour maybe something like:

2 days first fix, 1-2 days 2nd fix, 1 day final fix and commission. 1 day designing/spec of materials, Dependant on your labour amount, speed etc..... waiting for materials that you dont have control of will hit you hard so get the materials list spot on.

thanks AW. when you write it out like that, and I add my day rate which is £200, I would get 1k for the job. I would be hoping for double that. Around 5k labour

thanks AW. when you write it out like that, and I add my day rate which is £200, I would get 1k for the job. I would be hoping for double that. Around 5k labour

i put those rough numbers based on 2-3 blokes, per flat, to give an idea of how to plan the labour costing. so 1st fix could take 2 days per flat? Without knowing your labour and the job its a guess. add profit to either the labour per day or as an extra, whatever way you do it really.

we all do it our own way, and normally come to around the same ball park.

Last edited:
Adding profit a, that is an interesting thought. I hate quoting. I have never got one right yet. Always seem to forget something important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

This one is taking shape now bit of a change...
Replies
Views
Yes, a 24kW will be fine - just what you need.
Replies
Views
Don’t know if this is the right part but...
Replies
Views
As a precaution report this to the building...
Replies
Views
Back