Advice: Medway Super Gas Water Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice: Medway Super Gas Water Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,

Looking for some advice. We have two boilers in our house, the Medway Super (which heats the water) in the airing cupboard and another boiler in the loft (installed years later) for the heating.

The hot water boiler (Medway) is only putting out mildly warm water, regardless of the thermostat setting. The pilot light is on and when we turn on the hot tap, all the flames kick in.

I spoke to a gas engineer today who said Medway Super parts are so expensive (as it's so old) I'd be better off ripping out the two boilers and replacing them with a combi instead of buying parts - which is great advice... if you have the money.

We've been saving for this boiler and have around a quarter of the quoted cost (approx £2k).

Any thoughts? I don't really want to use credit for this.

Many thanks

Sounds like a heat transfer issue, if it's scaled up this can be treated, you've just got to decide if it's worth spending money on.

Thanks for the responses. The flames are blue, they look fine.

I don't understand where the hot water is going... surely if the flames are all on I should have hot water coming out somewhere?

Also, if we were to replace - where would be put the combi boiler? In the airing cupboard or loft?

They are simple but a lot of parts are obsolete for theses nowadays it will be a cheap part that is a bugger to change. But I would recommend a new heater or as you are a boiler change.

If money is tight , you maybe better changing the water heater.
Ideally you would install a combi , but thats a whole new issue and a heck of an expense.

If Ryan85 is not gsr then all our/my advice is no good
maybe a gsr might change the the diaphram ...less than £10.00 to,buy, labour intensive BUT other parts can cost plenty..more ...up to £300 for some big parts ....this is where the uneconomical element kicks in.

Sorry I forgot to confirm - I have no gas or plumbing experience at all - just a simple home owner :)

It's looking more and more like a total replacement.

One question remains - if we were to replace - where would we put the new combi boiler? In the airing cupboard or loft?

So Ryan85 its time to bite the bullet. You are not alone on here but spreading some lolly
as you have discovered is now
inevitable I advise. Have a think, ask questions on here but do not penny pinch esp.if you are staying...and keep us fully informed ..we can only help you properly with full info
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Haha, I wouldn't class a Worcester as a Renault and given the actual reliability of Audi I wouldn't put vaillant in the same group as those either. If anything Worcester are Audi (mostly bought for the name but not actually reliable past the warranty) and vaillant would be Honda.

Honda build fantastic engines though

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
What I mean is that because everything works...
Replies
Views
P
Have you paid everything he asked for and did...
Replies
Views
Not if the cylinder is already satisfied, and...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
S
Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at Baxi...
Replies
Views
Back