Advice on Advertising? What's working what's not! | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on Advertising? What's working what's not! in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

K

Kareen Gordon

So I've got all the usual ads, thomson local, yell, online and books. Free classifieds, dot com website, facebook advertisingh and I've just tried the google ad words (through yell) which I'm still on the fence about.

I was just wondering has anyone got any recommendations for more advertising or attracting more traffic? for example sites like rated people etc. are they worth splashing the cash on???

Forget rated people, mybuilder, my hammer etc etc, not a great source of work as people only interested in lowest cost, if in fact there's a job there to start with.

Keep an eye out in your local paper for planning permissions, keep info on you so if you are passing some building works call in and introduce yourself, and some of the guys on here swear by the local church/parish magazines.

I DON'T want to sound patronising or sexist and this isn't meant to be either (or both!)

You might consider using your photograph (most of us men are too ugly and we'd put people off). You probably wouldn't get too many male plumbers to begin with but you could easily find a niche with females who are put off with strange men in the house. Like it or not, women are trusted more than men - after all, how many women do you see on rogue traders programmes?

Marketing is reasonably simple, sometimes. All you need to do is think of your typical, standard customer. How old are they, gender, type of area they live in, etc, etc, etc, etc. Answer as many of these questions as possible.

Then think what their lifestyles are. Do they have children? Is so, parent groups, football groups, etc. Are they old?(er) (just to be a little more pc!) Shopping during mid morning, bus stops (or are they wealthy that they go out for lunch once a week)?

All these questions. Then think what type of media your typical customer reads, watches or listens to. Does your typical customer rave about the internet? If elderly, they might not have heard of Facebook, so an advert there is a waste of time. Whereas an advert in the local restaurant might be bang on the nose.

This identifying of your customer helps you think where to advertise, what sort of advert (plain and simple for the elderly, colourful and flashy for the young, etc)

Hope this makes you think a little - it's meant to!!

There's much more to promoting a business than paying for loads of adverts and receiving no response. Sometimes a tiny budget aimed at the right place with the right sort of advert will pay itself several times over.

Most important advert is your last job!!

Thanks your very right I've had far more jobs through word of mouth than any advert. i guess i need to start thunking outside the box something like a restaurant had never occurred to me. i guess really I'd like to look at grabbing bigger contracts I've got a crack team of qualified tradesmen behind me and really looking to aim much higher now.

As for my picture unfortunately I look 19 instead of my age of 30 and even in my overalls and dungerees, cap n boots, I don't seem to fit what people expect a plumber should look like male/female such is the prejudice that when I've approached some companies they've kinda either thought I was too young and some kind of have a go kid or too slight to be able to manage the work (which is rubbish i do full installs the lot). I had one guy flat out state he didn't tust highering a woman!!! Sometimes being a female in this trade is a bit frustrating but nonetheless I've never been put off and work is always there i'm just fired and ready for more :43::43:

Have you considered leaflet drops? I was made redundant last December and started back on my own in January this year. In my quiet moments I've been delivering A6 cards. I've chosen mainly rural areas where people are less likely to be delivering leaflets as it's a lot more work than in towns and a couple of the more affluent areas within the town. I've had a really good response and from less than 2 days leafletting in total I've had more than a months worth of work and, being smaller communities, word of mouth is starting to kick in.

Leaflet drops work well, I still get calls from ones I distributed nearly 3 years ago. It is quite a boring time consuming job going door to door delivering them though.

I used to advertise in the local paper which was quite costly but I'd get 4-5 jobs (usually bread and butter jobs like overfilling cisterns/dripping taps) from each ad I put in.
Recently I tried Google Adwords, for the first month it was costing me £4-6 per day (£150/month!!) and I wasn't getting any calls at all from it.
I have refined my campaign recently which seems to be having a decent effect. I'm down to £1-2 per day and beginning to get calls.
When I first set it up I trawled the internet for advice and found almost nothing, there were some sites that wanted me to pay them to manage the campaign, and the other 'help' sites were either too confusing or too simple to be any help.
The main thing is to think what would a customer put into google if they wanted a plumber, and to not use words/phrases that would put your ad up against the big sheds.
For example, I had the word 'bath' as one of my keywords and it got clicked nearly every day, on some days a single click could cost £4.50, it took me a month to figure out why - b+q and other big sheds were competing for that word and they have the money to throw at advertising so it cost a bomb to go up against them and people wanting to buy a bath were clicking my ad, not people wanting a plumber. So I changed 'bath' to 'bath installer', I get a lot less impressions but only someone looking for a plumber will actually see my ad now so the clicks I get from it are far more likely to make the phone ring.
The same goes for all the basic keywords, like toilet, basin, shower, radiator etc. Before running any keyword on your campaign, Google that keyword and see if it brings up toolstation, b+q etc. If it does then change it.
You can also include negative keywords, which means that if one of those words is in the search query - your ad doesn't show. It's worth having a good think about those words and including as many as you think will prevent your ad coming up when the searcher is not wanting a plumber.
An example of some of my negative keywords is 'stockist, supplier, DIY, myself, easy to install, trainee'. That last one 'trainee' took me a while to figure out, I was getting increased calls from people on NVQ's etc. wanting me to take them on, I doubt they realised that every time they clicked on my ad it was costing me a couple of quid, so I included negative keywords to try and limit that.
There's also a 'cost to call' budget, that is where a potential customer is searching on a smartphone and calls you directly from the google ad, it's worth setting that to a higher price, the reason being that you don't pay unless the customer actually calls you, my call conversion rate is probably close to 100% meaning that I will generally get the job if the customer calls me, so it's worth paying for that call.
One thing I have a problem with is missed calls on my landline when I'm out working, almost every day when I get in - my answerphone is flashing but the caller didn't leave a message, I reckon they just moved on to the next plumber when I didn't answer, so I'm planning to get calls forwarded to my mobile from my landline, it's not cheap though and I'm trying to think of a way to limit calls from advertisers/trainees etc.. first.

Last edited:
I have found leaflet drops by far the best way of promoting myself. If I were you I would include the waords Lady Plumber in my advertising as a lot of people prefer a female going into their house.

There is a plumber in my neck of the woods who as " Lady Plumber" in pink plastered all over her van. She says it works for her.

Hope you don't have any problems with bending 22mm copper? ;) I'm in similar situation Kareen. Gonna try leaflets, will see, probably surrounding villages bring some jobs as its crowded with plumbing companies in bigger towns. Good luck

Leaflets might be a bit of a ball ache, but they do pay off - but only if your leaflet is any good and you're hitting the right area.
All you need is a clean, simple design and easy contact details/info with a personal touch.

That's how I got my gardener actually. Brilliant little leaflet and reasonable prices.
Called him up and he's been doing my lawn and then the communal gardens for my son's block of flats for 3 years now.

Similar plumbing topics

its also a place for prospective customers to...
Replies
Views
T
Hi Guys, As some of you know I have been...
Replies
Views
T
M
got my website via a friend for the cost of...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
Not this time round, at least not yet. Here's...
Replies
Views
B
£84 plus vat is how much I spend in...
2 3
Replies
Views
Chris Kafetzis
C
Back