Advice on boiler choice.. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on boiler choice.. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plum

Hi guys,
Hoping you could help.
Been quoted approx £1500 (all inclusive) for a new boiler at semidet house.

Options include

Potterton 24KW combi condensing boiler (Promax or Heatmax) with about 3yr warranty

or

Alpha Intec 28x combi boiler with similar warranty.

Which would you go for? Been tearing my hair out!

I just want something reliable and that promises peace of mind!

Thanks everyone.

Not alpha

edit to add: though I'd want the 28/30kW version of what ever make for improved hw performance.

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys! That was quick!

Could you please explain a little bit why you prefer the Potterton? Not seen many reviews on the Alpha and the negative ones seem to be entirely regarding the older Alpha boilers not the newer Intec ones.

Gasfitter initially quoted for the Potterton and when I asked for a better boiler mentioned the Alpha Intec. Says can get a longer warranty or something to that effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try and go for an ideal logic+30. Great boiler reasonable price and 7 year warrenty.

Kinda short notice and not sure my fitter has access to any other boiler. Home occupants are stranded without reliable hot water unfortunately so don't have time to shop around that much..

Where are you based? Maybe someone on here that could help.

Kinda short notice and not sure my fitter has access to any other boiler. Home occupants are stranded without reliable hot water unfortunately so don't have time to shop around that much..

Agreed on 30kw logic+. Definitely go for at least 28kw. tbh £1500 for a potterton/alpha seems a bit steep, if we're talking a straight swap.

Also, your fitter should be able to get anything within a day. A logic would be a stock item at my suppliers, potterton and alpha would be special order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

In the North East.

Would appreciate if anyone could PM me if possible.

Alternatively, any suggestions of reputable engineers in Gastehead/Newcastle etc would be fabulous.

Thanks.

Back to the OP, seems that folks here would rather go for the Potterton though not sure which (Heatmax/Promax) is better. After the hassle of getting engineers who can handle my current boiler, wouldn't want another boiler that folks would be scratching their heads at in future.

can get almost any boiler with a days notice

for £1500 i would expect a logic +28-30kw if no other work needed. one day install up north with free b&b

Funny thing is, I've been seeing the Ideal around lately. My last rented flat and a friend's place. Both relative newbuilds ~5yrs old.

Alternatively, any suggestions of reputable engineers in Gastehead/Newcastle etc would be fabulous.

Thanks.

Back to the OP, seems that folks here would rather go for the Potterton though not sure which (Heatmax/Promax) is better. After the hassle of getting engineers who can handle my current boiler, wouldn't want another boiler that folks would be scratching their heads at in future.

A boiler is a boiler when it comes to repairs/diagnosis provided you have a decent engineer. Ideal give you a 7 year warranty and these boilers are fantastic. I wouldn't even consider anything else on your budget.

I have 2 friends with potterton Promax system boilers and I've had to repair them both, both only 3 years old.

Only ever get fitted in new builds cos they're bought cheap in quantity IMO

Thanks.

the potterton titanium is the same boiler as the promax, but you get a 5 year warranty , better to go for a 28kw imo

Agreed on 30kw logic+. Definitely go for at least 28kw. tbh £1500 for a potterton/alpha seems a bit steep, if we're talking a straight swap.

Also, your fitter should be able to get anything within a day. A logic would be a stock item at my suppliers, potterton and alpha would be special order.

Thanks, apparently a straight swap. Was told that those would "fit my existing pipes".

Thanks, apparently a straight swap. Was told that those would "fit my existing pipes".

Sounds like he's recommending boilers based on their pipe orientation rather than recommending the best for you. I.e. he wants the job to be as easy as possible and still get his money.

All combis have the same pipes under them, the order may not be the same but thats why we have benders and fittings!

the baxi duo tec, baxi platinium, potterton titanium, gold, promax, heatmax are basically all the same boilers under different names, the only real difference is the warranty and price, you'll get 1yr, 2yrs or 5yrs depending on which model you go for.

if you were up here, i could do you a titanium 28kw for the price you've been quoted.

I think the promax and the logic+ are the same for pipework.

£1,500 for a straight swap doesn't sound too bad, if you got the Logic +, so long as it's installed before December.

I'm in the north east and could get you a logic+ tmo!! They are not hard to come by! I've fitted dozens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Worcester Bosch - Vaillant - Baxi - Potterton
Replies
Views
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
I also thought it was 10:1, for the 4000 and...
Replies
Views
A bit late but what were the test results, did...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
Back