Advice on courses and qualifications to take? | Plumbing Courses | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on courses and qualifications to take? in the Plumbing Courses area at Plumbers Forums

You really need to find someone whos willing to help with the work experience. I completed the 6035 level 2 in July. I have tried to get some 'on the job training' but no real joy. I have managed to gain some experience helping a friend install some radiators and a downstairs bathroom in his extension and a hand full of other jobs this has just reinforced how limited my knowledge is after completing the 6035 at college.
Best of luck hope it works out for you.

I'm in the same situation, started the 6035 course in September and due to finish in April/ May. Hopefully will get employment with a family friend and work as plumbers mate after the course and then do the NVQ when eligible. I'm 25 with kids so working a desk job at the moment as its impossible to get employment without a qualification. What kind of salary can a plumbers mate earn? Just need to know to plan for the early few months of being a plumber.

You really need to get the work experience and to do that you are going to get paid very little......if anything to be honest.
I am 5 months into my Level 2 and I have just got a job and I'll be earning £30 a week. I also have kids and rent to pay but I knew when I got into this it will take years before I can earn an decent wage.
I have also spent the past year helping out a local plumber for free.

Could you reduce your hours at work and get some experience in your time off? Some of the guys on my course do this. You'll need to be in work to get your NVQ.

Thanks for this. Although not what we have been told at college, it does make sense. Colleges, well my college anyway, sell this course as a route to direct employment as a plumbers mate and then the obvious route to NVQ. They fail to tell you about any of the difficulties you will find in getting work and amount you will earn. Thanks for the info anyway.

Similar plumbing topics

6035 is the diploma, 6189 is the NVQ. 9189 is...
Replies
Views
If you're dealing with a vulnerable person...
Replies
Views
Hi Cr0ft. Your reply was very informative...
Replies
Views
I'd say about half of the group I Funnily...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
Back