Advice on new boiler | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on new boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this quote today:

Viessmann Vitdodens 200-W 35kW system boiler and Vitocell 200-V 210 litres unvented hot water cylinder - £4200.

Viessmann Vitodens 222F 130 L 35kW Combi £4500.

The installer seemed competent. Awaiting further quotes.

How many quotes do you really need what you on now 12 getting a bit silly I think

Not its not silly or excessive. They were all Worcester Bosch quotes and we've decided against it a WB system. Not all that visited actually quoted.
Only one Veissmann quote so far.

Raised the 35kW boiler size as I thought it was too big as well. What size would you all recommend?

Do the whole house boiler sizing tool, a detached fairly well insulated 5 bed property may only need 12kw or less

[DLMURL="http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Housing-professionals/Interactive-tools/Domestic-heating-sizing-wizard/Whole-house-boiler-sizing-Tool"]Whole house boiler sizing Tool / Domestic heating sizing wizard / Interactive tools / Housing professionals / Business / UK - Energy Saving Trust[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the whole house boiler sizing tool, a detached fairly well insulated 5 bed property may only need 12kw or less

[DLMURL="http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/business/Business/Housing-professionals/Interactive-tools/Domestic-heating-sizing-wizard/Whole-house-boiler-sizing-Tool"]Whole house boiler sizing Tool / Domestic heating sizing wizard / Interactive tools / Housing professionals / Business / UK - Energy Saving Trust[/DLMURL]

The Boiler Size Calculator is easier to use and gives exactly the same results.

I suppose it depends how much you REALLY use the hot water. Normal combi's aren't very good for mixer showers, especially in the summer....

We've got a Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 with a Grohe Grohtherm 1000 shower and they work together excellently so I don't understand that reservation. We only use one shower at a time and we don't require a shower that blasts us at high pressure so we're happy with it. If someone turns on a hot tap in the kitchen there is a barely perceptible drop in the flow rate and no change in temperature. The shower has two separate knobs - one for flow and one for temperature - and with the temperature set at the mid-position 'stop' you can just flip on the flow control to maximum and know you can step under the shower 15 seconds later to the perfect temperature, no fiddling around. It would be quicker if we had the boiler's preheat function switched on but as we're out a lot we have it turned off for economy. Some people's shower priorities are high speed, other people insist they must have something that looks Victorian (I service boilers and I can tell you the amount of rubbishy Victorian looking showers out there has to be seen to be believed) but our first priority is simple operation and ease of temperature control. Anyone considering installing a non-thermostatic shower mixer should think again. The Grohtherm 1000 is good value.

hi distorted , sorry to repeat another member(s) . youve had 12+ guys giving you quotes or survey advice . tbh this should be enough for anyone . i get the impression that you have a particular arrangement in mind and are looking for someone to embrace this without prompting from yourself. if you want a particular system , tell them . if you keep getting wb approved installers out to quote , they will defer to wb . . its part of being approved ( you install them , you get a good price and back up) . for your size house , water pressure , number of baths etc , a combi would be more than enough . what do you need storage for ?? i dont want to be patronising but i get the impression that youve seen an install that you liked the look of (tv , magazine) and that is what you aim for . even if it isnt right for your house . too much advice turns into too much choice and differing opinion . every installer has different leanings towards boilers / sytems , not every one will be right but most of us will be . its our job . sorry to waffle on . its late . get three more quotes and then decide .

We had a Viessmann 222-F installed from an approved Viessmann installer with weather compensation controller. Very neat job and very pleased with it overall.

Can I ask what you went for in the end? Thinking of getting a Viessmann vitodens 222f installed to replace an old system. Do you get decent flow rates in showers?

Cheers

p.s Can you put these boilers outside in garage for instance? It is a bit on the large side!

you can put it in garage yes if it has a built in frost-protection function, if not additional frost stats will need to be installed on exposed pipework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
Are you sure it’s still vented? Should have...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Look at a Viessman 222 10 year manufacturers...
Replies
Views
Do you know if it’s damaged more parts they...
Replies
Views
Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
Back