Advice on new, relatively budget, boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Advice on new, relatively budget, boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dr Ismail

I need to have a boiler installed in a property soon to be for sale. It is a relatively small property, 1 kitchen and 1 bathroom, and 2 bedrooms. I believe a combi-boiler should be sufficient, it will certainly be better than the ancient geyser being used there at the moment.

These are the alternatives I have found, but do not have the experience or expertise to choose between them:

• Heatline 28kw Capriz Plus He Band A Combi Boiler & Flue Kit [£478]

• Glowworm Flexicom 30 cx Condensing Combi Boiler [£675]

• Ariston E-Combi 30 HE evo Combi Boiler [£595]

• Ferroli Optimax HE Plus 31 C Condensing Combi Boiler, Flue, Loop and Clock [£625]

• Vokera Compact 25A HE Condensing Combination Boiler with Flue & Clock [£584]

Price wise, I would say up to £750 max, but for that money it should have some definite advantages over other boilers which it seems are available for around £500-£600.

Any advice would be most appreciated, including alternatives to these. Thank you in advance.

Stay away from Heatline, Compact, I don't know much about Ariston.

The best out of a bad bunch there, is the glowworm and feroli imo both 5yrs warranty

For out that extra and get a Ideal Logic+ 5 yrs warranty 24kw roughly 640 plus vat to non trade or you can extend it to 7rs for £110 i think

and oh don't try fit it yourself get a Gas Safe registered engineer. you can find Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post job on here for one.

Out of the lot I would only have the glow worm - the rest are pieces of junk

They all are junk lol

You know, I find this a rather funny comment. Really? Are they all 'junk'? And what exactly does that mean? They do not work? They will not power a hot water tap and central heating? They are not aesthetically pleasing? They will break down within a day? The company behind them will not honour the warranty?

What exactly does it mean to call them all junk?

I would agree. All very poor. Is a false economy, what you save now you will spend 2 or 3 years down the line. Surely as a landlord you need peace of mind? So a long warranty would be worth its weight in gold!

Ok, so you would recommend a 5 year warranty? 2 years is not enough?

If your after a good budget boiler, for a property your going to sell and therefore not worried about a lengthy warranty, I'd recommend a Pro Combi exclusive, which is basically an Ideal Logic, re-badged, and only 2 years warranty.

I would say 5 years is better value for money. The cheap boilers will usually breakdown more often and parts are more expensive. So they get their money in the end. I would go ideal logic+ with a 5 year warranty. Where are you based?

Sorry thought you were renting it out. Although a longer warranty is a good selling point.

Birmingham.

Many thanks for all the replies so far :)

Cheap boilers are like inkjet printers. The cheap printer is a way of selling you ink the cheap boiler spare parts. Look also at the coverage that the boiler manufacturer provides. A 5 year warranty with 10 engineers for the country is not the same as a 5 year one with a manufacturer who has 200. So go for the household names and perhaps look at a £100 pounds now to be warmer quicker if things go wrong.

If your after a good budget boiler, for a property your going to sell and therefore not worried about a lengthy warranty, I'd recommend a Pro Combi exclusive, which is basically an Ideal Logic, re-badged, and only 2 years warranty.
Pro Combi is a vokera compact re badged. Had to deal with vokera once for a client who had one when it broke down.

Pro Combi is a vokera compact re badged. Had to deal with vokera once for a client who had one when it broke down.

That's the Pro Combi HE, which I definitely wouldn't recommend.

They now do two versions, the older HE based on the Vokera and the Exclusive based on the Ideal.

You know, I find this a rather funny comment. Really? Are they all 'junk'? And what exactly does that mean? They do not work? They will not power a hot water tap and central heating? They are not aesthetically pleasing? They will break down within a day? The company behind them will not honour the warranty?

What exactly does it mean to call them all junk?

You get what you pay for.

Motor terms: you either want a rover or a rolls royce

I offer these boilers at different budgets:
Lowest/Mid range: Ideal Logic with 5 yr warranty
High range: Worcester boilers

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so one boiler that several of you have 'recommended' is the Ideal Logic.

Which model specifically given the size of property I described?

Think 30kw/33/35/ in those lines. All about how good you want your flow rate on hot water side.

Logics are easy to fix, went to the ideal course and they teach you how fast you can take parts out. Just be aware about that lol

Ideals are known for repairing, however sounds like they have fixed alot of bad habits in the past.

Have a look at baxi's. i know a few members like them.
I personally prefer to install the logics. However ive got a baxi duo tec 33kw in my own home i put in and has been fine past 5-7 yrs

Looks like you are not botherd what boiler you fit as long as it is cheep !! pay a vist to B&Q ! will you be fitting it yourself ?

Looks like you are not botherd what boiler you fit as long as it is cheep !! pay a vist to B&Q ! will you be fitting it yourself ?

I would say I am concerned to a degree, because I know that for a comparable price you can often get something better than if you don't bother doing any research or listening to recommendations from people who know what they are talking about.

You will get lots of opinons on boilers, one person will praise up one make another will say its a load of rubbish, as with most things that people buy these days You pay your money and you take your chance ;;

It's all very well and groovy specifying a boiler on here but we don't know whether a combi would actually be suitable for your property. You may not have the pressure or flow rate to support a combi!

Your best bet is to invite a few gsr's in, get quotes from them to include makes and models of the boilers they recommend.

Then come back and ask us.

I would also consider throwing a free first years service by the installer to the buyer. Sweetener all round.

I need to have a boiler installed in a property soon to be for sale. It is a relatively small property, 1 kitchen and 1 bathroom, and 2 bedrooms. I believe a combi-boiler should be sufficient, it will certainly be better than the ancient geyser being used there at the moment.

Horses for courses. If you are selling the house, things like warranty, spare part price, reliability don't really matter to the OP.

Not gonna read the whole thread, but all of those boilers outlined are junk.

Best value for money boiler has to be logic+

Also, shouldn't you be concerning yourself with the install price, and not the boiler price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

That's what I was hoping, looks like a good...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
The plumber was mainly giving me options -...
Replies
Views
I have seen a combi installation where the...
Replies
Views
R
Nope. Manufacturers can't make them any more...
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
Back