combi boilers choice | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss combi boilers choice in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Is it compatible with Main and Potterton?
It's compatible with these boilers

Screenshot_20190420-144457.png

Sorry couldn't be bother to read the entire thread but here is my opinion on a new boiler, if you are staying put-

Longest guarantee for the cheapest price.

Unless it's a vokera.

If you truly have a 1 pipe system then you should have bypasses on every single radiator. The reason for this is so if you turn 1 radiator off it does not turn the other radiators off as well.

I could be wrong on this as I've never piped up a 1 pipe system, I have worked on a fair few and ripped loads out but this was my understanding.

The older boys on here would be the better ones to answer your question.

Got it. That's how I envisaged the pipework would be.

It’s probably been part upgraded in the past
Yes, probably when they removed the backboiler and installed the combi. All the rad's (apart from that one) look have new (er) copper pipework (that's visible anyway)

Your right, should be one single pipe loop with branches off the each radiator. If you pipe in and out of each rad it would be very unbalanced and closing one rad off would cripple the system

I'm not an older boy though, I'm only 31, maybe that is old :(
Makes sense and no, 31 isn't old,especially when you're the wrong side of 50

Your old controls are unlikely to be boiler plus

Boiler plus?
Need a new flue anyway as it's coroded on the underside externally

Sorry couldn't be bother to read the entire thread but here is my opinion on a new boiler, if you are staying put-

Longest guarantee for the cheapest price.

Unless it's a vokera.

We're going for the Potterton. Her for 5-10 years, but you know "the best laid plans"

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Just an update. It's a 2 pipe to the kitchen and dining room radiator , and then 1 pipe from then on. What a mess. Also brass connectors on the underfloor gas pipe's to the hob and the gas fire (as was).
New boiler works well and he's done a very neat job. Even polished the copper pipes!
It's taking the radiators upstairs about 15 minutes to get somewhere between very warm and hot whereas you could cook bacon on the downstairs ones after about 7 minutes. This is an improvement from before but suppose the flush will have helped.
With a 2 pipe system, what should the difference be? We've had one in other houses but never really taken that much notice , plus the houses were about half the size.
Once we get the kitchen replaced the gas pipe to hob can be removed.
Seriously thinking about a re pipe. He's suggested ?microbore to the radiators. Piping in the wall and exiting behind the radiator.
We had this in our last house which was built in the late 90's and I liked it from a visual point of view as no nasty looking visible pipes.
Is it a good idea?
Quote is £1500, including TRV's to 6 radiators .

Personally steer clear of microbore. I get its usefulness and ease of routing but its a much better job to run 15mm (off of 22mm feeds) to the rads.

Less likely to block (I know you have just had it flushed but in time it's inevitable the system health maintenance will be skipped and you'll end up with sludge build up)

Id get a quote for 15mm/22mm pipework and see what the difference is. If you can stretch for the 15/22 then do it.

If you can only stretch to the microbore then it'll generally still be a big improvement on a one pipe system.

Especially as the flushing of the system with one pipe system present causes difficulties in getting a thorough clean (unless every rad on the one pipe circuit was removed and flushed through manually).

Your right, should be one single pipe loop with branches off the each radiator. If you pipe in and out of each rad it would be very unbalanced and closing one rad off would cripple the system

I'm not an older boy though, I'm only 31, maybe that is old :(

If your old I'm past it then as I'm 36 lol. It just seems now you very rarely come across them where as the old boys who are probably nearing retirement would of been installing them.

Personally steer clear of microbore. I get its usefulness and ease of routing but its a much better job to run 15mm (off of 22mm feeds) to the rads.

Less likely to block (I know you have just had it flushed but in time it's inevitable the system health maintenance will be skipped and you'll end up with sludge build up)

Id get a quote for 15mm/22mm pipework and see what the difference is. If you can stretch for the 15/22 then do it.

If you can only stretch to the microbore then it'll generally still be a big improvement on a one pipe system.

Especially as the flushing of the system with one pipe system present causes difficulties in getting a thorough clean (unless every rad on the one pipe circuit was removed and flushed through manually).

Thanks Lee. Anyone else like to comment?

Thanks Lee. Anyone else like to comment?
Id agree with Lee and so will most other plumbers. Its used for speed and cost on newbuilds but it's not without its problem. Very easily effected by sludge build up. 22mm mains runs and 15mm copper drops to each rad would be my preferred choice.

I have seen a combi installation where the infloor loop was driven off of the potable side, the space heating loop was driving low profile rads which run at a higher temperature. Whoever did this work felt this was a simple solution and failed to use potable fittings and tubing.

If you are looking to install a combi boiler then you have come to the right place! We at All Heating One always welcome you to contact us for further information on selecting the correct combi boiler for your house, comparing pricing, suppliers, and all installation procedures.

Similar plumbing topics

Who said plastic 28/22mm copper tube and mlcp...
Replies
Views
I took @Chuck to mean: A reputable...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
Back