Air Lock/Blocked Cold Feed Boiling Issues - HELP! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Air Lock/Blocked Cold Feed Boiling Issues - HELP! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Advice appreciated. I drained down a 13 rad open vented heating system today to replace all the TRVs on the ground floor. Obvious signs of corrosion in the system (header tank full of brown water).

Changed TRVs, on trying to fill the system realised that no water was coming in from the header tank (couldn't bleed any radiators at all). So I am thinking blocked cold feed.

After a bit of pipework alteration in the loft, connected the mains connection to the F/E ballvalve to the open vent pipe and carefully filled the system with mains pressure water down the open vent pipe, stopping to bleed all radiators. Eventually managed to fill all radiators.

Turned on the boiler and pump (having also set the 2 control valves to manual and bleeding the hot water indirect circuit) and the radiators are all getting hot, great news.

After about 10 minutes, boiling water starts spilling over into the F/E tank from the open vent (spurting out every 20 seconds or so).

Is this likely to be due to the blocked cold feed (which I'm looking to fix tomorrow) or is there something else afoot?

The boiler is about 15 years old and is an old floor-standing boiler. Grunfos pump which seems to be filled with water rather than air.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Well get up and running correctly and see how you go,the blocked cold feed should not cause the problem,maybe restricted flow due to air in pipework or you could have damaged boiler thermostat if boiler run with air in heat exchanger/no water
If cold feed blocked up,possible blockage on flow from heat exchanger but if all rads getting hot hopefully not,persume cold feed going down to boiler,were it joins will probably be blocked point
Also possible check of pump and pump valve inners,to check clear

Last edited by a moderator:
id say yes blocked feed probaly in the tee where it joins ive had similar some where pump over and not running right probably been doing it for ages and it seem when you drain it it gets worse

Last edited:
Should have been more specific, cold feed goes to airing cupboard on first floor, boiler is on ground floor. Arrangement on return pipe (in order of flow) is open vent, cold feed then pump. I'm guessing this arrangement could cause pumping over with a blocked cold feed. Going to get a magnet on the pipe today to check it - definitely know that the cold feed is heavily blocked, just not sure if it's what's causing the pumping over.

Ijust put a gallo gun on the cold feed in the tank and blast it with co2 unblocked loads of fe tanks like this takes 5 mins if its not blocked it will just blow out the open vent

Should have been more specific, cold feed goes to airing cupboard on first floor, boiler is on ground floor. Arrangement on return pipe (in order of flow) is open vent, cold feed then pump. I'm guessing this arrangement could cause pumping over with a blocked cold feed. Going to get a magnet on the pipe today to check it - definitely know that the cold feed is heavily blocked, just not sure if it's what's causing the pumping over.

I have come across the cold feed being blocked on the tee as i enters the system on umerous occassions. i found something that expained why this happened but i cannot remember now. cut out the tee and replace.

this could and would cause pump over as it is the cold feed that allows expansion and not the vent. the vent is the safety valve and therefoe doing its job

Thanks for the info fuzzy. Feel a bit silly not knowing that it's the cold feed that allows the expansion, I thought it expanded through the open vent - oops!

Cut out the cold feed and replaced it today. Was then able to bleed all the radiators. Turned on the heating once the system was filled and bled, the pump was knackered :(

One new pump later, the heating system fires up and all works fine for 20 mins or so. Radiators heating up, new trvs working, very happy customer. Then the dreaded kettling starts again, followed very quickly by more water flying out of the open vent and me switching off the boiler and pump again.

My options as I see them now are: -

1. Put in some sludge remover, leave for a week, run pump without boiler to circulate sludge remover. How effective is sludge remover in a cold system?

2. Powerflush the system, hoping that this removes enough sludge and rubbish to get it all working again.

Found out today that the heating system is 27 years old and last had the inhibitor changed 12 years ago. Would have been nice to know that prior to starting the work - will make sure I ask next time!!

I have come across the cold feed being blocked on the tee as i enters the system on umerous occassions. i found something that expained why this happened but i cannot remember now. cut out the tee and replace.

Its something to do with the hot and cold water mixing at the neutral point over time. Also any blockages around these areas will create positive and negative pressures causing the pump to draw in air or pump over into the header tank respectively.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info fuzzy. Feel a bit silly not knowing that it's the cold feed that allows the expansion, I thought it expanded through the open vent - oops!

Cut out the cold feed and replaced it today. Was then able to bleed all the radiators. Turned on the heating once the system was filled and bled, the pump was knackered :(

One new pump later, the heating system fires up and all works fine for 20 mins or so. Radiators heating up, new trvs working, very happy customer. Then the dreaded kettling starts again, followed very quickly by more water flying out of the open vent and me switching off the boiler and pump again.

My options as I see them now are: -

1. Put in some sludge remover, leave for a week, run pump without boiler to circulate sludge remover. How effective is sludge remover in a cold system?

2. Powerflush the system, hoping that this removes enough sludge and rubbish to get it all working again.

Found out today that the heating system is 27 years old and last had the inhibitor changed 12 years ago. Would have been nice to know that prior to starting the work - will make sure I ask next time!!

The water is failing to get round then, its not returning for some reason? May require a flush out of some kind. Can you check the water temperature at the bottom of the rads, just before it pumps over. Also try taking all trv heads off and opening the lock shields fully and then run system. The TRV's can be over sensitive depending on type, may require 'slacking off'? try those things and please let me know what happens

Sludge remover best used at normal operating temperature. You say run with just the pump on is this because of the boiler/open vent problem?
How can you run the pump without the boiler? Turn the gas off?

Ijust put a gallo gun on the cold feed in the tank and blast it with co2 unblocked loads of fe tanks like this takes 5 mins if its not blocked it will just blow out the open vent

what's this gallo gun?? not heard of one of them before!!! you say it will shift a solid blockage in the neutral point?

what's this gallo gun?? not heard of one of them before!!! you say it will shift a solid blockage in the neutral point?
i assume thats a pump up drain unblocker good tip moogie
not sure if an air seperator wouldnt split the state some of those get in

i assume thats a pump up drain unblocker good tip moogie
not sure if an air seperator wouldnt split the state some of those get in
hmmm....never thought about using anything like that,wouldve thought it'll just push the blockage somewhere else in the system at some point and then you're back to square 1. think i'll stick to cutting the pipe out..at least i know the blockage has gone.
have you used anything like that stp??

Hi all,

Advice appreciated. I drained down a 13 rad open vented heating system today to replace all the TRVs on the ground floor. Obvious signs of corrosion in the system (header tank full of brown water).

Changed TRVs, on trying to fill the system realised that no water was coming in from the header tank (couldn't bleed any radiators at all). So I am thinking blocked cold feed.

After a bit of pipework alteration in the loft, connected the mains connection to the F/E ballvalve to the open vent pipe and carefully filled the system with mains pressure water down the open vent pipe, stopping to bleed all radiators. Eventually managed to fill all radiators.

Turned on the boiler and pump (having also set the 2 control valves to manual and bleeding the hot water indirect circuit) and the radiators are all getting hot, great news.

After about 10 minutes, boiling water starts spilling over into the F/E tank from the open vent (spurting out every 20 seconds or so).

Is this likely to be due to the blocked cold feed (which I'm looking to fix tomorrow) or is there something else afoot?

The boiler is about 15 years old and is an old floor-standing boiler. Grunfos pump which seems to be filled with water rather than air.

Any thoughts appreciated!

you probably have a blocked neutral point[were the cold feed enters the system]cut it out and replace

Gallo gun is compressed co2 like air rifle cartridge would not leave home without one bought at parts centre i have cleared blockages in radiators and header tanks last one was after changing a cylinder heating would not fill gave the f and e tank a quick blast happy days got a handy cone one the end to put into rad air vents well recomended can also blow out dust etc heres a link just for info like i say bought at parts centre probably breaks up blockage like a drain unblocker does
Gallo Condensate Blowout Gun - AZ Partsmaster

Gallo gun is compressed co2 like air rifle cartridge would not leave home without one bought at parts centre i have cleared blockages in radiators and header tanks last one was after changing a cylinder heating would not fill gave the f and e tank a quick blast happy days got a handy cone one the end to put into rad air vents well recomended can also blow out dust etc heres a link just for info like i say bought at parts centre probably breaks up blockage like a drain unblocker does
Gallo Condensate Blowout Gun - AZ Partsmaster

very interesting.....may have to invest in one just out of curiosity,good find fireblade.:)

Honesly moogwai excellent investment cartidges are not that cheap probably cheaper from an air rifle shop got to look into it i used to do the rads on the top floor of an office every winter they would not work used to try and vent them take the air vent out no water and no air used the gallo gun opened the flow on the first rad and the return on the last rad two or three blasts would clear it put the air vent in job done went to parts centre lad said do you want to buy one of these i said what would i do with that went back a month later bought one and never looked back no fun when you get a blocked cold feed late at night

heh heh....just got one of fleabay with 6 cartridges for £30.....i look forward to using it on my next blocked cold feed,think ive got one in a few days.
so i just stick the attachment onto the cold feed inside the f&e tank and let it go??

Yes mate water in the tanks a bit cold on the arm in winter just press on hard or it can get messy:D

Very satisfying when the water starts gurgerling down the cold feed good price off flea bay

:D
Yes mate water in the tanks a bit cold on the arm in winter just press on hard or it can get messy:D

i know mate,will invest in some rubber gloves that go upto me elbows!!! i hate cold water!!! and i suppose the effect would be like a massive fart in a small bath!!!

there was only one on there so i thought i'd better grab it quick!

Last edited:
Fuzzy,

Definitely not the TRV heads, I've replaced 7 and all are set to setting 5 (max) - new Comap heads and valves, that's how all this trouble started :)

There didn't seem to be any huge difference between the temperatures across the rads before it pumped over, not that I'm keen to turn it on again till I've found the fault - there was a LOT of boiling water flying into the tank.

Sparky,

It's an old floor standing boiler, when the boiler is off if I switch CH or HW on the timer, the relevant 2-way motorised valve opens and on comes the system pump (Grundfos). Water then begins circulating, including through the boiler (I can here it moving round). I don't want to turn the boiler on and leave it for a week or there will be nothing left of her upstairs ceiling or heating system probably!! Today was the first time I've been scared as a plumber, her central heating system was sounding like a steam engine!

Going to powerflush the system early next week, will see how I get on - I'm taking heart that it did actually run for 20 minutes today before problems started!

wouldn't be the trvs shutting down with no bypass thats causing it to pump over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
Like my system except a longer feed pipe??
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
According to the manufacturer's information OV...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yep thats right. The other common block place...
Replies
Views
Back