Air Lock/Blocked Cold Feed Boiling Issues - HELP! | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Air Lock/Blocked Cold Feed Boiling Issues - HELP! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of that too fireblade, but the upstairs towel rail doesn't have a TRV on it, so I guess that is the bypass. :(

Have you opened the manual air vents ( if there is any) could be locked in the coil restricting flow so water is boiling off and blowing out of vent. Is the boiler triping out?

sure we are not talking boiler thermostat gone and system over heating,boiling over?

Circulation around the system does seem to be there but it seems to be minimal even with the pump on setting 3. I do think the boiler thermostat is not working though, given how violent the overpumping/steam is into the header tank.

As she is an OAP, she's keen not to replace her heating system basically - the system is totally caked up with rubbish so I'm thinking a powerflush will do it no harm to try and get it working again. Perhaps this block-up has just revealed that the boiler thermostat is knackered too.

Circulation around the system does seem to be there but it seems to be minimal even with the pump on setting 3. I do think the boiler thermostat is not working though, given how violent the overpumping/steam is into the header tank.

As she is an OAP, she's keen not to replace her heating system basically - the system is totally caked up with rubbish so I'm thinking a powerflush will do it no harm to try and get it working again. Perhaps this block-up has just revealed that the boiler thermostat is knackered too.

i have had a problem with new TRV;s even when on 5 they shut down when the room is still cold? ive had to back off the nut holding the head. Just thought it may be something else to eliminate. id turn the pump down, if it is only going through 1 rad and set on 3 presuming the trvs are the prob it would pump over

did you check the bottom of the rads? how old are they? you could take 1 off and flush it through outside, check the amount of corrosion that comes out, thats a good indicator of the sludge that is in the system. Is the bathroom rad fully open?
Also, try running a hose pipe out of a lower drain with the system off but water keep filling it up, turn any motorised valves on and of, that should get rid of any air

Hi Cold feeds are prone to corrosion as they are the nearest point to active water on cistern feed closed system. The movment of water due to expansion/contraction and evaporation can cause corrosion on beta brass fitting, valve etc. and is far more apparent on larger systems where iron barrel is used. Good Luck

Bathroom rad is very warm when system runs. Upstairs TRVs haven't been replaced (6 rads out of 13) and those TRVs were working ok before hence why I don't think TRVs is the issue tbh. I know for sure there is plenty of corrosion in the system, top and bottom - water in loft tank was brown with about 1 inch of sludge in the bottom of the tank. On closer inspection there is a sign of a pinhole leakage from one of the radiators.

I've resigned myself to powerflushing the system and have already told the customer that if it doesn't work then imo the system is at the end of it's working life.

Will see how the powerflush goes!

Bathroom rad is very warm when system runs. Upstairs TRVs haven't been replaced (6 rads out of 13) and those TRVs were working ok before hence why I don't think TRVs is the issue tbh. I know for sure there is plenty of corrosion in the system, top and bottom - water in loft tank was brown with about 1 inch of sludge in the bottom of the tank. On closer inspection there is a sign of a pinhole leakage from one of the radiators.

I've resigned myself to powerflushing the system and have already told the customer that if it doesn't work then imo the system is at the end of it's working life.

Will see how the powerflush goes!

i see, well with all youve said it appears to be sludge corrosion issue for sure, good luck

Thanks to all for their help with this. I powerflushed the system and cleaned the F/E tank out today and all is now working a treat, for now at least! A 27 year old system now seems to be working as good as new.

It amazed me that it worked for so long with so much rust and silt in it! The muck that came out of the powerflusher drain hose was incredible.

Thanks to all for their help with this. I powerflushed the system and cleaned the F/E tank out today and all is now working a treat, for now at least! A 27 year old system now seems to be working as good as new.

It amazed me that it worked for so long with so much rust and silt in it! The muck that came out of the powerflusher drain hose was incredible.
well done good result. It shows you it has been corroding for along time! all the rust comes from somewhere! Did you put treatment in?

Sure did. Risked an acid de-scaler clean too which seems to have sorted out the kettling in the boiler without exposing any unwanted leaks. 2 bottles of my local merchant's finest inhibitor in. Got the follow on sales, basically told her she needs to stop using whoever is servicing her heating and get me in to do it now :) Luckily, I think she agrees..

Sure did. Risked an acid de-scaler clean too which seems to have sorted out the kettling in the boiler without exposing any unwanted leaks. 2 bottles of my local merchant's finest inhibitor in. Got the follow on sales, basically told her she needs to stop using whoever is servicing her heating and get me in to do it now :) Luckily, I think she agrees..

good stuff croft glad you got it sorted, there aren't many plumbers out there that wouldve done everything you have...most probably they would of said "not my problem"
you are like me...won't stop until i get it goin...in the long run you can only benefit from jobs like this one...word will get round.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
Like my system except a longer feed pipe??
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
According to the manufacturer's information OV...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yep thats right. The other common block place...
Replies
Views
Back