Am I a mug working for this amount? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Am I a mug working for this amount? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Hi everyone I’m just wondering if I’m actually worth more than what I’m being paid now.

I’m not on an hourly rate I get paid daily and on a typical day I earn 60 pounds (take home)

I don’t work for myself, I work for a self employed guy. I’m a time served level 3 qualified plumber, OFTEC qualified with 5 years experience.

What do you think?

equates to 21 K ish a year before tax if my maths is correct .
You are a well qualified guy .
I wouldnt be happy with that to be honest , location could be a factor , where are you ?

Hope hes paying into your pension for that as law. For your rate of pay you can come and fit my boiler, lol

serious how much some heating engineer companies charge is ridiculous to how much they then pay there guys

I think you could legitimately ask for more if you feel you are bringing him work and contributing to the business

I asked about that and he said he’ll go half on every job I bring in, so now I’ll have to carry on as I am whilst thinking of ways to bring more work in. No idea how to get work in to a business as I’ve never owned one.

Think about going SE, maybe start by doing some call out jobs for Emergency company's, will need your own transport etc. but you will be earning more than you are now, + you cover oil boilers.

I was OFTEC but my employer hasn’t renewed the membership. Only recently it’s run out. Emg Co? What’s that?

I’ve just signed up to buzbee but not sure if it’s any good for plumbers. A sparks I know is on it and he was loving it.

For what it's worth, my second year apprentice earns more that you.
Just done exchange rates and he is on @ 20% more than you.

I don't want you to feel I am rubbing it in, just stating the facts

For what it's worth, my second year apprentice earns more that you.
Just done exchange rates and he is on @ 20% more than you.

I don't want you to feel I am rubbing it in, just stating the facts
Yeah but your on the other side of world Oz, bet there is a difference in average salary.

Rough rule of thumb for an employee is that you are worth 25% of what you earn the company.

I’m in a similar Boat. 38, self employed with 2 years experience only level 2, but with a Gas Safe company. I’m on £60 service days and £100 Heating installs both taxed. I also travel around 50 miles per week for a lift. Only work on average 2-3 days. I do my own work on my days off and I’m trying to get to grips with pricing. I’m told daily I’m being used but it’s money in my pocket each week? This is Bristol.
Great topic as I’m sure there are a few people out there in this situation.

Where are you based and what areas are you working? What type of work have you been doing as I am guessing that you are only doing general water plumbing stuff?

Similar plumbing topics

Jamaica I’m in, upon Thames - not so interested…
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
G
We used to call them...Wateries...watered down...
Replies
Views
P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
Back