Am I a mug working for this amount? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Am I a mug working for this amount? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Get a job cards in and you will earn a decent wage, self employed is good when its good I'm 25 years self employed I have wages to pay and graft myself its good but not good all the time

I'm in the Carmarthenshire area.

My work varies to be honest. From 1st and 2nd fixing bathrooms, installing new gas boilers and oil (he commissions the gas), servicing oil boilers and maintaining systems. Not doing the same thing all the time.

After reading your answers I've decided to start pursuing another job. My back went on me the other day and I honestly thought 'why am i killing myself with nothing to show'

Wouldn't mind working abroad if the moneys there and digs etc... Couple of lads I know have worked on cruise ships and they were raving about the wage. Ive got no commitments as in wife kids etc so I may go for it. Just no idea where to start looking apart from the obvious places like Indeed etc.

Your not a mug as you are working and know doubt learning. You have qualifications, so do thousands of degrees owners, along with thousands of pounds of debt which they will never earn enough to pay back. Plumber is just a name, its a case of measuring your position in the league of plumbers before demanding £*** per hour. This is not easy, as other than working on large contracts it unlikely to work along side other plumbers, in order to measure your position regard wages. What i can say is many charge high rate based on a mate in the pub who's a plumber and earns bundles. When researched we find he does
4 bathrooms a week, 1 boiler change and 8 call outs and take the responsibility for same. And guess what he's on a price, its the same next week and the next etc. Earns nice but don't see his wife and children much, thats the choice?
Good Luck

It's all experience, but worth considering that Booker cash and carry pays its staff at least £7.60 an hour, with a 38 hour contract, time and a half on overtime, EMPLOYED, sick pay, occasional bonuses, (and perks of the job).

In short, YES, but until you find something better, take what you can.

I will confidently bet your boss will be devastated when you leave him.
He will struggle to get anyone working for that hourly rate, especially as well qualified, and multi tasking as you are.
Out of interest, you are bound to know what your boss charges for labour on some jobs? I know after he pays your cut the rest won’t be all profit to your boss, as running a business has massive costs, but your boss should be covering your proper hourly rate easily, before he adds his hourly rate and other costs.

I’m passed the point of caring if he’s disappointed or not. I’ve given enough of my time and been given false promises about my wage increasing so I’ve started looking else where as of today. I have no idea what he charges to be honest because he won’t tell me. I know call out is 50 and that’s it really.

Anybody know where I can start looking in regards to working abroad? I want to get out of here and earn some real money while I can seeing as I haven’t got kids etc

Really the living wage should only apply to the most basic jobs, like those that require little intelligence or experience or perhaps a job that doesn’t need too much hard graft.

I'm in the Carmarthenshire area.

I'm from Pembrokeshire so only down the road really and get paid over double you daily income working for the local authority doing basic plumbing on shift. so even have days off in the week to do run my on the side self employed business.
hes taking the biscuit out you!

You on the books with the council or you subbing to them? I got a relative high up in my local council and if it’s the same rates I may ask.
yeah salary so all the benefits, and it being shift work I get a lot of time to do my own stuff. not sure how Carmarthen do it but most of our installs etc are contracted out. so we are basically just a maintainance team....mind numbing but pays a half decent wage into my home.

Same with Carmarthenshire, they even sub some of the maintenance out because I done work for the sub contractor the other day. It’s probably better than what I’m on now so may just ask about tomorrow.

Really would love to work on a cruise though, seen what some of the boys were having and it’s mental pay wise, work hard though.

Hi,

Send me a PM letting me know what area of Carmarthenshire you are in and if you have your own tools and van. I may be interested in subbing some work out if you are interested? I often get calls for oil boiler repairs and bathrooms which I dont do, I am GAS SAFE and a qualified Electrician so it may be a good fit.

John, you are being underpaid . But talk of 2 or 3 times your current rate for employed is nonsense. Twice is achievable, but most cards in jobs are not £40K plus.

Self-employed CAN earn a lot more but you have to be good, quick and well organised. Plus have cash to get going.

It may be that your boss is poor at running a business, and may not actually be able to as afford the proper rate, but that is his problem.

As you are young and responsibility free, now is the time, perhaps, to go SE. Don't go straight into a new expensive van. Keep costs under control. Work out your overheads, and charge fees that will give you a decent return.
Get paid straight away before leaving the house, and remember that a 4 hour day at £40 per hour is better than 8 at £20. But insert your own figures.

To be honest with you I just don’t have the cash to get myself SE. I have a van (which is off road at the moment) not GS either which I’ll have to pay for so it’s rather difficult to go self employed. Plus I have no idea how to run a business and what to charge etc. So much to learn on the business side of things. That’s why I want to work away to build up cash. I’m still living at home which is embarrassing so I’d love to get a mortgage first, but that’s another thing.

Similar plumbing topics

Jamaica I’m in, upon Thames - not so interested…
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas...
Replies
Views
G
We used to call them...Wateries...watered down...
Replies
Views
P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
Back