Annual Gas Boiler Service | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Annual Gas Boiler Service in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lyn

My Mother in law had her gas boiler serviced last week and just before the engineer left he said "you have a 2.5% leak - but don't worry thats within the permitted leakage allowed"!
Obviously she (and we) are worried she has been left with a very dangerous problem
Can anyone help me with knowing exactly what this engineer meant by his leaving comment and do we need to seek further advice on behalf of my Mother in Law

depending on what type of gas meter you have , there is a permissable drop with existing appliances allowed as long as theres no smell of gas, thats what he might of meant

If you are worried call 0800 111 999 immediately and your gas provider will advise you correctly.

2.5mb leak. As appliances age they can develop micro leaks which create a pressure drop in the gas installation. We measure over a period of two minutes how much of a drop, if any, occurs. As long as there is no smell of gas, 2.5mb drop is nothing to worry about.

If however you want to pay a gas registered engineer to track down and stop the leak you can.

Without meaning to sound rude you have asked a question about a potentionly dangerous leak and then immediately left the forum would it not of been better of to hang around and actually wait for some answers. Was the service done by a large firm or a one man band if it was a large firm my guess is that they want to be in and as quick as possible as long as every thing is fine hence the lack of explanation

Give them chance fella it was only 15 minutes ago , they might be looking around or posting on another forum. Or on the phone to there provider

Back to the leak i would of expected the engineer to have checked that it wasn"t on pipework only

Back to the leak i would of expected the engineer to have checked that it wasn"t on pipework only

Why would you? If its permissible and no smell. Make a note and move on! Once you have isolated appliances and proved drop is on piepwork you have to act. Resulting in unforeseen expense for customer and often involving damage to building fabric.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Destroyer - but I couldn't stay on line for replies because for some reason the site "threw me out" and its taken all this time to get logged on again!!

Thanks very much - because my Mother in Law is in her late 80's - she was obviously really worried about what the Engineer said to her, hence my post for advice

Welcome back lyn if your really worried you could get a second opinion, do you have anything in writing from previous engineer

No nothing! He is a qualified engineer that my Mother in Law has used for about 5 years - it was just the comment about "a 2.5% leak" that had us all worried

Probably just a communication issue and could of been explained better

Honestly mate I did it once years ago and bitterly regret it to this day. There's a reason there are permissible drops, if there's no smell it's perfectly safe.

Thanks Destroyer - but I couldn't stay on line for replies because for some reason the site "threw me out" and its taken all this time to get logged on again!!

No probs as i said didnt mean to sound rude its we get plenty of people on here begging for help and we give out good advice when we could just say ring a engineer and its not very often we get a thank you or follow up reply saying if it fixed it or not. No offence hope you get the answers you want

Honestly mate I did it once years ago and bitterly regret it to this day. There's a reason there are permissible drops, if there's no smell it's perfectly safe.

The last one i found on pipework only ended with a external re-pipe and a 2 inch gash in my head and a trip to a&e

Why would you? If its permissible and no smell. Make a note and move on! Once you have isolated appliances and proved drop is on piepwork you have to act. Resulting in unforeseen expense for customer and often involving damage to building fabric.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

i agree but would have asked if they wanted me to investigate further at their expense. as said if appliances are isolated obligated to act

TT @ 20 Mbar and a drop of 2.5%?

Is that not only 0.5mbar... probably not topped it up after temp' stabilisation (who ever does?)

If your worried call Transco about a possible leak and get them to test it. It is not worth the fretting it will probably stay at the back of your mind for ages if you do not get it resolved to the extent you get peace of mind over it.

Why not call back your engineer and ask for a retest ? and be their or as pointed out Transco 0800 111 999 free of charge

My Mother in law had her gas boiler serviced last week and just before the engineer left he said "you have a 2.5% leak - but don't worry thats within the permitted leakage allowed"!
Obviously she (and we) are worried she has been left with a very dangerous problem
Can anyone help me with knowing exactly what this engineer meant by his leaving comment and do we need to seek further advice on behalf of my Mother in Law

This is why I never tell the customer if their is a permissible drop. They just don't need to know. If they have smelt gas, they would tell you and then that's a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you passed this information onto the...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
If you're dealing with a vulnerable person...
Replies
Views
Back