Another copper/plastic thread | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Another copper/plastic thread in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I feel I'm the only one using copper nowadays, all new houses are full of Polyplumb and alot of old boys are moving away from copper.

Even though the price is rocketing and it takes longer to do I still prefer it over plastic, I fit bathrooms and do maintanence etc, if I fitted heating systems all day long I'd probably feel different though.

Copper fittings are so much cheaper so you can stock up on plenty at a time without spending a fortune, plastic does have its uses though and I do use it now and again.

When I fit shower pumps I do it all in copper for instance but if I need to crawl under the floors to add a radiator I use Speedfit.

I use copper most of the time but plastic if it's first fix and going behind plasterboard and through joists. In nearly four years I've bought 2 rolls of 15mm pipe and still have some of my original fittings.

The only gripe i have with plastic fittings is continuos use of 22mm ones give me tennis elbow and on odd occasion had them blow off even tho been pushed fully on .duff manufactured fitting i guess

i feel sorry for all the plumbers of the future when they're stripping out all the old plastic and its worth sod all at the scrappies!!!

The only gripe i have with plastic fittings is continuos use of 22mm ones give me tennis elbow and on odd occasion had them blow off even tho been pushed fully on .duff manufactured fitting i guess

Continuous bending 22mm copper with a hand bender is no walk in the park either.

Continuous bending 22mm copper with a hand bender is no walk in the park either.

Even when jumping on my benders I sometimes struggle to get the blighter started. I work with someone sometimes and it makes his day when he watches me do this, as he just moves the pipe round using his arms only.

Olives are 11p each now, I can remember when they were 3 or 4p and that wasn't that long ago.

Even when jumping on my benders I sometimes struggle to get the blighter started. I work with someone sometimes and it makes his day when he watches me do this, as he just moves the pipe round using his arms only.

Bet he aint doing that with galvanised!!!

i feel sorry for all the plumbers of the future when they're stripping out all the old plastic and its worth sod all at the scrappies!!!
I dont cos we all WILL BE RIPING IT OUT IN 10 years from all new build homes

I just piped an S plan up in an airing cupboard this week and never had to use one pipe clip, somehow i cant ever imagine this happening if i'd used plastic. Come to think of it i cant ever remember ever seeing this kind of job done in plastic, anyone out there beg to differ?

I just piped an S plan up in an airing cupboard this week and never had to use one pipe clip, somehow i cant ever imagine this happening if i'd used plastic. Come to think of it i cant ever remember ever seeing this kind of job done in plastic, anyone out there beg to differ?
Have not used plastic in airing cupboard but can't imagine I'd pipe one up with out clips either!!!!

I'm sure I saw a diy attempt at a plastic airing cupboard a few years back, if I remember it was a tangled mess of Polyfit and B&Q easy plumb, he wanted me to get his hot water back on but when I saw the standard 22mm fitting pushed on the stub of 3/4" copper I'd seen enough and told him I couldn't do it till next week.

I never did hear back from him.

Have not used plastic in airing cupboard but can't imagine I'd pipe one up with out clips either!!!!

Yeh, take yer point but as ya know every one of these is different and in this case there really was no need for clips.

i have seen plastic overflow pipe joint together with copper fittings and solvent welded ! have seen bath waist joint with led waist with solvent fitting but filled with mastic not silicone MASTIC

One of the funniest i seen was when a put a combi in for a neighbor, this bloke is renowned for his bodge jobs. Anyway, done the install, starts the commissioning process, turns on the cold supply to the boiler and saw about a metre of loft insulation jumps up a couple of inches followed by the sound of ruching water. Turns out the bloke had repaired a burst on the original H/W with a piece of hose pipe and jubilee clips.

The way I see it is if you think plastic is unsafe and if you're worried about it blowing apart - you should never use it - anywhere. Not under floorboards, nor anywhere else. If it's unsafe why on earth would you risk it?

On the other hand, if you think it's safe enough not to worry about as long as you install it correctly - you should feel free to use it in absolutely all applications aside from ones where you think aesthetics or cost are factors.

Otherwise it's some sort of odd rationing of concern that's going on, sort of playing the odds and hoping for the best.

:goofy:
I will only believe it if I see a photo of it ,sorry !

Well i got a GS inspection on monday and that job is on the list so if i think on i'll take a pic, cant promise though coz am on me godknowshowmanycans now.:stuart:

I saw a botched repair on a 28mm copper gravity circ to an old primatic clyinder, I was doing the bathroom and after I'd broke up the cast iron bath with the hot and cold pipes drained, the customer informed me there was hot water dripping through ceiling. My heart sank as I knew it was c/h related.

Lifted a loose board over the leak to find an old tea towel wrapped around the pipe with silicone oozing out the sides. A whole day down the toilet, cut out and replace (all kinds of problems created by this including boiler breakdown). Some animal had caught it with a nail years ago and managed to seal with silicone and then wrapped a tea towel round it. Nice.

Last edited:
I saw a botched repair on a 28mm copper gravity circ to an old primatic clyinder, I was doing the bathroom and after I'd broke up the cast iron bath with the hot and cold pipes drained, the customer informed me there was hot water dripping through ceiling. My heart sank as I knew it was c/h related.

Lifted a loose board over the leak to find an old tea towel wrapped around the pipe with silicone oozing out the sides. A whole day down the toilet, cut out and replace (all kinds of problems created by this including boiler breakdown). Some animal had caught it with a nail years ago and managed to seal with silicone and then wrapped a tea towel round it. Nice.
unbelievable....:) silicone and a tower OMG :)
let see what there rest of the members will come up with

Yesterday a I needed 4 lengths of 15mm copper, nearest place was plumbase in Charlton, asked the dipstick behind the counter for the copper. "That'll be £38.90 please sir" sorry I said and asked how much they were charging per metre "Uh I dunno how to work it out mate". Well try I said because it ain't nearly £10 a length yet I said. So he called the manager, so asked him to tell me how much they were charging per metre. Giving him ample time to work out that somone was clearly trying to shaft me, "it's on our system, that is what you have to pay sir" are you sure I said, "yes sir" Ok I think I'll leave it thanks.... Went to plumbase in Woolwich 1/2 mile up the road, asked for exactly the same "that'll be £26.35 sir"

I hate being called Sir. Nobody every calls you Sir unless their hand is dipping in your wallet, have you noticed that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Another vote for copper. All copper tube is...
Replies
Views
If you ask a question on site looking to learn...
Replies
Views
Builders innit, make'em pay.
Replies
Views
Back