Any engineers willing to chat about fault finding. | Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Any engineers willing to chat about fault finding. in the Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sh..gin him:p:D

Playing golf on a freebie. Never quite made the golf:confused::eek:

we can hardly get pens off him, did go to the vokera factory and ferrari museum a few yrs back, that was a great couple of days, preferred the vokera factory to ferrari, is that sad?

It was a merchants trip and there were a few manu's there. Peter is a decent guy. Don't know about his boilers tho.

heres one
new boiler install
sparky been out and installed 17ed consumer unit
installed new individual radial circuit for boiler - goes on holiday.
heating engineer arrives (you)
plug new boiler in and rcd trips
check socket with martindale shows ok
check plug shows ok
check wiring at boiler input shows ok
still trips
martindale ok
what could it be ?

no sorry
where in glasgow are you gquigley67
i stayed in springburn for 30 years
moved to knightscliffe anniesland cross
and now the borders of se london and kent
brother still in hawthorn st springburn
cheers

haha well electrical faults aren't really my department:p need to go on a few courses me thinks!I'm from the southside mate used to stay down next to hampden park, living at the bottom of castlemilk the now the weathers murder as usual the wind just opened my skly light window in the loft and smashed it !! got black bin bags over it the now need to get a bit of plywood I think and board it up!

scotland and n.ireland are having the poorest weather
hope things brighten up
had a bit of sun today and mild weather here
the no fuse would be no power to the boiler and wrong value fuse would not cause the rcd to trip.
if the fuse was under value it (the fuse)could blow on switch on and over value could take out boiler components(under fault conditions) before it had time to blow.
slowely learning the heating side myself but still a bit of a novice.
hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
heres one
new boiler install
sparky been out and installed 17ed consumer unit
installed new individual radial circuit for boiler - goes on holiday.
heating engineer arrives (you)
plug new boiler in and rcd trips
check socket with martindale shows ok
check plug shows ok
check wiring at boiler input shows ok
still trips
martindale ok
what could it be ?
nned to do your electrical tests on the boiler
polarity resistance etc

faulty trip switch ?

take the cable out of the fused spur, put a plug on it with a 3 amp fuse in, plug it in to the socket circuit and see if that works

trip switch ok
plug into the kitchen ring boiler works ok
the boiler could have had earth leakage causing the rcd to trip but not in this senario
the fault was caused by the electrician not connecting the neutral wire to the correct neutral bar in the ccu.
a 17 ed board has 2 or more neutral bars.
if he had done his proper testing it would have showed up.
the reason the martindale shows correct and the rcd not switching off is because the trip (rcd)needs 30 milliamps to flow and the martindale does not draw enough current to activate the trip
where i have came across this fault it is usually kitchen fitters connecting a new kitchen ring mains in and using wrong neutral bar.
i had one kitchen fitter who used his mobile charger on the circuit but could not get anything else to work
well done emerald
cheers

i have been doing fault finding for years and rarely walk away from anything but am getting better now lol , Here is a good one for you brand new boiler out of the box everything runs ok but wont fire up ?

yay :) i would like to dedicate my award to the quality of some local Electricians i have come across, who seem unable to wire a room stat the right way round, read the MIs and put in pump overrun cables, or are unable to wire a simple Y' plan system, which has numbers and colours that even i can follow

problem is it was never taught as part of the course, i dont know if it is taught on the new course but hope it is.
most domestic sparks rarely come into contact with y plan etc and it can be a bit intimidating to a newby therefore most sparks stay clear.
a heating engineer on the other hand has no choice.
cheers

I have been to a job where the sparks checked everything as when the boiler was switched on it blew the fuse , The sparks put the problem down to the boiler and left ,thats when i was called . i could not for the life of me suss what the problem was until I spotted a tiny firework display inside a wall where someone had partially drilled through the ring main , This was not a problem except the people upstair had a pipe dripping which soaked the wall which in turn dropped water on the damaged ring main causing the fuse to blow

Yes most domestic sparks have not got a clue when it comes to control circuits most do things from memory. Also most have not got a clue when they look at a wiring diagram for a Y plan.
I will agree with most that a decent heating engineer is competent with all the heating/water/gas and the electrical control.
Now with heat pumps which will soon see off gas in 20 years or so there is another element

renewables its the future

i have been doing fault finding for years and rarely walk away from anything but am getting better now lol , Here is a good one for you brand new boiler out of the box everything runs ok but wont fire up ?

Ive got it!!! Its a Ferrolli?

A good one I came across was boiler going to lock out, checked for gas - no gas at p1. Went to meter box and the meter had been stolen! Welcome to glasgow!!!

Remember being called out on a saturday night to someone with no water.The water meter had disappeared!Some people will nick owt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Article
2391 Course pass rate I have been meaning to...
Replies
Views
Ashley-Joseph
A
Hi sir i don't suggest you go out on your own...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I hope you are well. Need some advice...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just passed my ACS and looking to gain...
Replies
Views
Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
Back