Any ideas - hot water tank problem | Bathroom Advice | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Any ideas - hot water tank problem in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I am posting this again as suggested by Admin.
I have just had my hot water tank changed as the old one kept causing the electrics to trip out due to the build up of lime scale and silt over a 50 year period and it had also started leaking. The hot water tank is in my airing cupboard next door to the bathroom in a position slightly higher than the bath taps so the flow previously was never that great but acceptable. I live in an ex council maisonette and cannot move the tank to an alternative position. I don't have a loft or heating system other than under floor heating and a few electric radiators. The taps are separate taps and the plumber who installed the new tank has been out 4 times now to try and solve the problem and think he has now given up. He is saying that the next step is to completely replumb the bathroom but I have already spent in the region of £1k and not prepared to spend anymore until I know what the problem is.
The cold tap receives mains pressure water directly, so there is no problem with that, while the hot tap receives water under gravity from the tank. When the water in the tank is completely cold it runs at an acceptable level to fill the bath, however when the water is hot it only trickles very slightly through the tap. The hot tap downstairs in the kitchen runs a bit faster and we can live with that.
After installation the plumber thoroughly flushed the whole system out so there was no air present and when he connected the tank fill water main directly to the hot tap pipework to test for blockages there was no pressure loss so he (and we) are at a loss as to why the hot water will not flow through.
How can the same water from a tank flowing under gravity operate perfectly well when the water is cold but not when the water is hot when it takes exactly the same route from the incoming water main?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Loads of good points already said, havn't got something silly on the hot pipe out with a rubber washer like a stopcock, have seen them where they shouldn't be plenty of times, when the water heats it expands the rubber as said and restricts flow.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. The problem has now been fixed by JCS plumbing and was down to the original plumber badly fitting the hot water tank after paying in the region of £1,000 for his work. After 6 months of no hot water we are celebrating tonight with nice hot baths.

What a helpful lot you are and will thoroughly recommend JCS plumbing and this site to everyone I know.

It was a fortic cylinder. It was positioned too low on two rotten 2x2s and the hot water pipe work coming from it had too many unnecessary sharp elbows and the pipe work was falling back to the cylinder so it kept getting airlocked. Simple fix really. I also replaced the 2x2 timbers with 3 4x2's and 18mm plywood.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. The problem has now been fixed by JCS plumbing and was down to the original plumber badly fitting the hot water tank after paying in the region of £1,000 for his work. After 6 months of no hot water we are celebrating tonight with nice hot baths.

What a helpful lot you are and will thoroughly recommend JCS plumbing and this site to everyone I know.

Thank you for coming back to us to let us know how you got on, and thank you for both the glowing commendations.

Do you mind if I copy that post onto our Facebook page?

JCS you are now officially the forum hero!

Hear hear!

It was a fortic cylinder. It was positioned too low on two rotten 2x2s and the hot water pipe work coming from it had too many unnecessary sharp elbows and the pipe work was falling back to the cylinder so it kept getting airlocked. Simple fix really. I also replaced the 2x2 timbers with 3 4x2's and 18mm plywood.

Thank you, from all of us.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
What type of cylinder do you have?
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
Murdoch
M
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yeah will deffo try I’ve got a strong magnet...
Replies
Views
Back