any LAND ROVER experts? | Central Heating Forum | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter REDSAW
  • Start date
  • Replies 51
  • Views 7K

Discuss any LAND ROVER experts? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
thereabouts i think @ £6.43 a gallon = .25p whereas lpg @16 to the gallon will be .22p a mile.
but i think i am right in saying on a run or at speed>30mph it will increase efficiency, live longer and prosper more.lol.

is the landie going to be your main vechile then red ?

how many will you need to transport. eg you,your gurt 2 kids aswell ?

and why a landie , now i have one beacause three reasons one , i live in the semi sticks , two i do a log ot lpg on farms etc so alot of dirt tracks and 3 beacause everytime you drive past another landie they wave :) - actually the third is the mrs , my third is the last few winters ive been one of maybe 2-3 engineers that were able to work with all the snow we had while others were sat at home giving my numbver out

There's something very British about owning a land rover, but I've come across many who've not regretted selling them.

A few years ago I had a W, Y and 51 reg TD5 (Discovery).

All cost me too much money in repairs and parts failure. (Last one had a main suspension spring break and £1,000 spent on two brakes. Last two both had a new steering box. Depreciation fell faster than the weight of the vehicles.) All these had a good service history and were fairly mark and scratch free when we bought them. The three vehicles probably cost at least £25k in the 4-5 years we had them.

They are fantastic machines when they work but tend not to last more than 6-9 months before they require attention, meaning they're in the garage twice a year and spend about a week per year off the road with a day or two of this week just waiting for parts.

Get yourself a Toyota Land Cruiser instead.

Some negative points: tyres (don't last long and cost around £150 each). Fuel around 27-31mpg - we usually achieve 29mpg. Servicing and parts can get expensive but same is true of all large cars. Difficult to find a good garage for servicing.

Positives:

Reliable. Very reliable if good service history. Has a key to turn engine on and off. Has two pedals. Doesn't matter what the terrain is like, it goes when you press the go pedal and it stops (but snow and ice take concentration when stopping!) when you press the large pedal. If you hit anything you demolish it.

Five seats and large boot. Holiday stuff for five and two large dogs and baskets fit in the boot. Extra 3 seats when not using the boot. (Caravan? Put it in the boot.)

Everything is electric. Want to raise the car up? Press a button. Want to lower the car? Press a button. Want softer suspension? Press a button. Harder suspension? Press a button. Differential lock? Press a button. Engine braking is automatic in the lower gear range. It's ears (wing mirrors) flap and all windows and (large) sunroof are fully electric (automatic up/down) from each window and the driver's door.

These wade in 750mm of water (land rover 500mm). Are you sure we're towing something? No effort at all. (I once towed a transit van up a 1 in 10 hill in snow. Driver of van was useless and didn't touch pedals at all. I ended up towing at around 45 degrees but other than that, no trouble. Not sure my old land rovers would have done this as they struggled up hills in snow.)

Automatic gear box, really smooth gear change. Quietest car we've owned. Lovely dashboard with very attractive speedometer, rev counter, etc. Just like driving a Christmas tree around. Touch screen does radio, heating and satnav. Heated front seats, rear seats have separate, controllable air conditioning and good fan for fresh air in back. Any sudden braking and the car takes over - rather alarming until you're used to it.

We bought ours about 2½ years ago for £18,000, a 54 plate with 45k miles. After six months it was worth £20k. Now it's done 95k miles and is worth at least £11,500 (maybe £12,500 for a private sale.) No intention of selling it yet though. Best car we've ever owned.

I've gone on about this car before, but it really is superb. If nothing else, get a test drive in one before you buy a land rover.

A discovery isn't a proper land rover though. Redsaw is talking about getting a 110. My 110 is 26 years old and going strong and gets me where other engineers can't.

lost a lot of work in the bad weather in winters for the last 3-4 years due to the transit not being able to get out of the valley's. the wifes old freelander was laying idle so used that for the last 3 years. this gave an advantage as others were unable to attend burst's etc.
i find i can just manage with it full of gear so something slightly bigger will do rather than the transit.
other reasons,.....

bad weather work obviously but, 2 kids and dog, fishing trips, trailer pulling (tent on cards on landy roof overland type). depreciation (lost £2k in 3 years of transit), cheaper parts, easier to maintain and repair.
i want to keep it as i dont like keep changing vehicles, green laning (eventually), also as advertising the business as it stands out better than the average plumbing van so will get recognised. someone i used to work with used to have one, no one remembers him but they all remember the 'silver landy'. and other than that the wife wants one. few other reasons too!.lol.
i dont want it to keep breaking down, cost a lot to repair, be unreliable or loose all my money on it????

we have a toyota rav4 also, but do you realise that lump is costing you £2.5k a year depreciation dkia?. thats a lot?.

Last edited by a moderator:
could any of you 'experts' in lr 110's help me out with your opinions of some one tens i am looking at buying please and help me value them at face value..:angel_smile:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

and

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

it has a 200tdi replacement engine and no rust.

or
1994 LAND ROVER 110 DEFENDER COUNTY SW 300 TDI GREEN | eBay

Hey redsaw, haven;t had the time to read four pages.... We've had a 110 on fleet since the bad snow in 2010. Best thing we ever did. Same charges for the customer in bad weather, but the goodwill goes a long way. Try and go for a TD5 if you can afford it. If you go V8 allow £1500 for LPG and possinly lose one of the bench seats if getting a station wagon. TD5 will give you V8 performance with a mild tune. 300 tdi is ok (we have one) but you really want the transfer box out of a disco unless you regularly tow 3.5 tonnes!! 300 Tdi MUST have timing belt changed, TD5 sufferes from oil ingress on wiring loom, V8's may need valve seats changed if running LPG for many years.

Don't bother with the before n after advert for chassis rustproofing in the LRO mag, you can do it yourself with a jetwash and a compressor (and losts of elbow grease). This is the one we have:

Picture 4 of 5 from Vehicles

Any questions, post back or PM. We're looking to replace our's and grab oneof the last Defenders in 2015 when they stop and become a "Soft-Roader".......

how much is that one worth?......
TD5 sufferes from oil ingress on wiring loom... whre does this happen?.
thanks for the info

Last edited by a moderator:
The mileage is fairly high, would need to have ALL the service history there. I'm not sure the belt is an issue on the 200 Tdi but it will prob soon need a clutch at that mileage; may already be on it's third. The "walkaway point" will be the chassis. The vehicle will be 18 years old and depending on use, a lot of these may have been off road. As one of the other has mentioned, it has obv had a respray and original decals fitted. Due to the body panels being Permabrite (Ali) if the new paint is not etched it will be flaking within 18 months. The seats alone would hove cost someone about £1500 new if bought from Exmoor Trim. If you are a bit handy, if the engine, box or transfer box fails, you can pick up a scrap Disco for next to nothing and swap it out in a weekend. To give you an idea, mine cost £6995 last Feb with 100,000 on the clock, not great bodywork but spotless chassis and FSH. IMO, this looks too clean but if you budget for a bit of welding or swapping the chassis (only nuts and bolts) wou have a very clean vehicle. Personally, I wouldn't pay more that 6K for this but the shiny paint will prob make it sell for more.

With shiny Landies like this, you generally find them sold for big bucks on eBay then relisted when buyer starts to poke around with a screwdriver on chassis.

If you do look at any, don't be afraid to ask to poke around underneath. If they refusem there's normally a good reason....

If you go for anything pre 1997, the cappings between the window sections and the rear tub are not galv, and will rot out; post 1997 this was resolved. Also, the 300 Tdi will be easier on the motorway, TD5 better than that and iff you're really flush, the TdCi is awesome!

If you are using it for work, there are occaaionally a few "Land Rover Special Vehicles" 110's with the utility spec (6 seats and a closed van back) which will be VAT applicable.

Lastly, ignore alloys, snorkels, too much chequerplate and anything that looks like it was owned by somebody who couldn't get into the forces because he failed the Basic Fitness Test!

The mileage is fairly high, would need to have ALL the service history there. I'm not sure the belt is an issue on the 200 Tdi but it will prob soon need a clutch at that mileage; may already be on it's third. The "walkaway point" will be the chassis. The vehicle will be 18 years old and depending on use, a lot of these may have been off road. As one of the other has mentioned, it has obv had a respray and original decals fitted. Due to the body panels being Permabrite (Ali) if the new paint is not etched it will be flaking within 18 months. The seats alone would hove cost someone about £1500 new if bought from Exmoor Trim. If you are a bit handy, if the engine, box or transfer box fails, you can pick up a scrap Disco for next to nothing and swap it out in a weekend. To give you an idea, mine cost £6995 last Feb with 100,000 on the clock, not great bodywork but spotless chassis and FSH. IMO, this looks too clean but if you budget for a bit of welding or swapping the chassis (only nuts and bolts) wou have a very clean vehicle. Personally, I wouldn't pay more that 6K for this but the shiny paint will prob make it sell for more.

With shiny Landies like this, you generally find them sold for big bucks on eBay then relisted when buyer starts to poke around with a screwdriver on chassis.

If you do look at any, don't be afraid to ask to poke around underneath. If they refusem there's normally a good reason....

If you go for anything pre 1997, the cappings between the window sections and the rear tub are not galv, and will rot out; post 1997 this was resolved. Also, the 300 Tdi will be easier on the motorway, TD5 better than that and iff you're really flush, the TdCi is awesome!

If you are using it for work, there are occaaionally a few "Land Rover Special Vehicles" 110's with the utility spec (6 seats and a closed van back) which will be VAT applicable.

Lastly, ignore alloys, snorkels, too much chequerplate and anything that looks like it was owned by somebody who couldn't get into the forces because he failed the Basic Fitness Test!
good post dont forget bulkheads they can rot as well but be swapped for a galv version

how much is that one worth?......
TD5 sufferes from oil ingress on wiring loom... whre does this happen?.
thanks for the info

It's an issue with oil entering the loom near the ECU wicking from the injectors. Not a major drama to change; while it's being changed you can get an extended loom and mount the ECU in a splashproof housing higher up in the cab.

As GASMAN rightly says, the bulkhead is the other fave place to rot out. Pull back the carpet in the front footwells and check for damp first. The windscreen rubber goes on the corners and heater matrix can leak which all will send water to the same place!

If you do find yourself looking at one in Kent for any reason, drop us a line, can always meet you there for a butchers.

DON'T DO IT!!!! Had one of these before I got a proper Defender. Santana where liquidated last year and parts are difficult if not impossible to get hold of. 2 months for a clutch kit, £300 for pads and discs (supply only)....
i thought about one as well.
the seating and cabs look better but like i keep telling the wife, its not a land rover is it!.

how hard is it to find one????

i am getting fed up now looking every night where are they all?

think i will get an scudo..

well!!!..... i am right crisped off now@@@@@'

just spent the last 4 weeks looking for one, then when i get it down to 2-3 right ones for me the gits dont get back and i find they sold them.

gits$£%T%$Y^%**&()

where are they all hiding?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back