Any Lead workers on here? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Any Lead workers on here? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
you all know we have been having some serious rain this past month right, well, I have a bay window in my bedroom and one night I was woken up with a drip drip drip sound. Not my favourite sound to hear in my own house. Bt any way, I wish it was a washer. It turns out it is the lead flashing sealant that is all cracked. So, do any of you guys know what this sealant is I should be using? If indeed I can just scrape old off and add new.

And just out of coincidence, are there any lead workers on the forum? I do remember a video of a couple of guys on here doing some flashing, but cannot remember who. Maybe Justlead?

2014-01-22 14.18.05.jpg2014-01-22 14.18.16.jpg

Weirdly had this convo with hubby the other day as our bay did exactly the same before Christmas. He was saying that he was taught this at college and they had to do it as part of their qualification but its been so long he didnt want to touch it, so am now waiting for the roofer!

Is it even still taught to plumbers I wonder?

It was still part of the course when I did it 2 1/2 yrs ago. But to be honest, even the tutors didn't know what they were doing when trying to teach us. They had a get someone in to show them and then they showed us. So the tuition we got was not upto a great standard. And so I wouldn't even attempt it on my own house let alone a clients. But, if all i need to do is wack some lead silicone stuff on, then I shall have a crack

Ah so I shouldnt be too irritated at him for not doing it then ;-)

He did get up there with a mastic gun and just whacked some clear mastic in the splits to tide us over till the roofer comes out! A bit of a bodge for the moment but no more water coming in!

Try these
[DLMURL="http://www.britishlead.co.uk/lead-pointing-sealant.htm"]British Lead - Superior Lead Products - Lead Pointing Sealant[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
No amount of "lead mate" will cure that. There should be an upstand of lead against the wall. Every time it rains it will come through to some extent.
really needs a strip of lead, welding onto the back gutter that will go up the wall 150mm and then chase in a groove for a new cover flashing.
then it can be sealed with "lead mate"

The render is too close to roof. You need to hack render back 300mm install a drip bead and render to that. The upstand should be 50mm above and behind the drip bead.

Do like my mates neighbour has done mutley put a big tarpaulin over it and nail a batton with some ovo nails to the wall!! the blue tarp looks lovely against yellow stock bricks

seems im wrong but it looked like a capping on the roll is the other side the same lee? as a temp fix i would warm a bit of flash band on to the wall and on top of the roll

It is the same on the other side. But, as you guys have pointed out, it has been nailed down. And in a lot of the places the nails have just popped out, so now just holes there. Are you refering to the faux lead that kind of sticks on steve?

Similar plumbing topics

I'd be budgeting to replace it! One of the...
Replies
Views
There must be 'Terms & Conditions' available...
Replies
Views
Keep a diary recording the dates/times of when...
Replies
Views
Hello John, Thanks for taking my message as...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
Back