Are all GSR engineers equal? | Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Are all GSR engineers equal? in the Find Local Gas Engineers - Post a Job area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Just had a call to a customer of mine who had a warrantee call on a gas fire that he had fitted - by a company not me.
The engineer that arrived, with his apprentice, changed the thermocouple, which was my diagnosis in the first place, but then did a let by & tightness test. [They] then issued an ID notice for the installation stating that there was a gas escape on the installation.
My customer called me and I went straight over, did my own test and found that the drop wasweld within the parameters for an existing installation so why di this engineer write it up as ID?

Was there a smell of gas?
Had their company cocked up in the first place and left it with a leak at install?

Did the other engineer test with appliances disconnected? Any drop on the carcass would be I'D...

in answer to the post header, No, some of us are just special :)

All gas engineers are equal but some are more equal than others.

They're the commercial ones.......

I expect they mistook you for one of those hairless cats...

200_s.jpg

you know how the females in this world take pity on the unlovable....

youre criticizing a gas engineer for IDing a gas leak?

Those parameters are only allowed on the appliance not the pipework and if you have a gas fire leaking gas into a room unless room sealed youre going to smell it

I dont care about those gas leak loop holes which poor engineers adapt and hide behind, poor engineers do a drop test then say its within permissible limits and dont even bother to prove whether its on an appliance or on the carcass.

if i do a drop test and it drops i'm going to find and fix that leak because i'm not leaving a gas leak. whats more the customer is going to pay for it or find another engineer to turn it back on because its not going in my name

Last edited:
Nice sentiments but back in the real world..............

dont let your customers bully you

youre in control and you are responsible to keep them safe, if you find something youre not happy with you have the right to either turn their gas off and leave them in the cold
either that or they can deal with national grid

dont let your customers bully you

youre in control and you are responsible to keep them safe, if you find something youre not happy with you have the right to either turn their gas off and leave them in the cold
either that or they can deal with national grid

That's the thing - they didn't do that. They left the gas on and told the customer to get a gas fitter to find the leak, and they'd checked without disconnecting appliances so they couldn't tell where the leak was coming from in the first place.
I used a combination of a manometer and a gas sniffer to identify that it was the newly installed, and repaired (by the engineers in question) gas fire.
The thing that gets me is why did they do a test in the first place as they only had to replace a thermocouple?

was the thermocouple attached to the gas valve
and did it have an asd or pilot light

Last edited:
was the thermocouple attached to the gas valve

Not sure as I didn't look, just disconnected at restrictor but that might be why I suppose.
Its one of those sealed gas fires with everything behind a bit of glass. I think that its more decorative than functional but [they] like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks Enthalpy, Your conclusion is exactly...
Replies
Views
I wouldn't even make any point or raise my...
Replies
Views
I just finished my gas course , I’m 19 I...
Replies
Views
I
Yes press the button until there are 2 lights...
2 3
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back