Are benders just benders? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Are benders just benders? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Had them 8 years always bent fine, never rippled.

Good that you don't get rippling with those but for those that do I have a solution when mine have done that.

I apply a tiny amount of light oil with a rag to both the former and the guide. I believe that rippling occurs when the finished surface of these parts get roughed up a bit over time through normal use, not so much that you can see it but it's there. I think rippling occurs as the pipe repeatedly sticks or grabs then lets go as the pipe is being formed, leaving the ripples in the pipe.

The oil allows the pipe to slip more easily as it is bent around the formers. It's an easy fix and you don't have to reapply more oil for a good few weeks, depending upon how much you use the tool of course.

@Jim09876 which bit don’t you agree with?

Each to their own obviously, you’ll find a lot of fabrication companies use Metabo grinders/drills because they can take a lot of abuse.

I’ve not owned anything from Milwaukee for years after I found the parts/service people to be horrific. I can’t imagine this has improved since being bought over by TTI (the same company that make Ryobi). I’m sure others have had bad experience with Metabo.

Makita are one of the few tool companies that aren’t owned by vampire like venture capitalist firms that just bleed once reputable brands dry. More often than not you’ll find hire shops supplying Makita tools which says a lot.

@Jim09876 which bit don’t you agree with?

Each to their own obviously, you’ll find a lot of fabrication companies use Metabo grinders/drills because they can take a lot of abuse.

I’ve not owned anything from Milwaukee for years after I found the parts/service people to be horrific. I can’t imagine this has improved since being bought over by TTI (the same company that make Ryobi). I’m sure others have had bad experience with Metabo.

Makita are one of the few tool companies that aren’t owned by vampire like venture capitalist firms that just bleed once reputable brands dry. More often than not you’ll find hire shops supplying Makita tools which says a lot.

Just own a Milwaukee at the moment, that’s all! Had all the brands mentioned...all preformed satisfactory to be honest. I never considered the ethical stand point though, just bought it outside Screwfix of the rep.

Just own a Milwaukee at the moment, that’s all! Had all the brands mentioned...all preformed satisfactory to be honest. I never considered the ethical stand point though, just bought it outside Screwfix of the rep.

Can’t really comment on the ethics but the business model of the firms that buy tool companies is to make them as cheaply as possible to extract as much profit as possible whilst taking advantage of the reputation of a once great brand. 10 years later the brand is ruined but the share holders are happy. Once they get bought out quality and service seems to go down the pan pretty quickly.

Good that you don't get rippling with those but for those that do I have a solution when mine have done that.

I apply a tiny amount of light oil with a rag to both the former and the guide. I believe that rippling occurs when the finished surface of these parts get roughed up a bit over time through normal use, not so much that you can see it but it's there. I think rippling occurs as the pipe repeatedly sticks or grabs then lets go as the pipe is being formed, leaving the ripples in the pipe.

The oil allows the pipe to slip more easily as it is bent around the formers. It's an easy fix and you don't have to reapply more oil for a good few weeks, depending upon how much you use the tool of course.

Sometimes it’s just the tube had a length that would ripple anything past 45 degrees turns out it was hard in spots

Sometimes it’s just the tube had a length that would ripple anything past 45 degrees turns out it was hard in spots

I agree it can definitely be the fault of the pipe. My solution works when the benders are rippling every piece of pipe put in them. As I work in the workshop with students I've got 10 sets of them and occasionally one of them will start rippling every bend so that's what I do to stop that happening.

I agree it can definitely be the fault of the pipe. My solution works when the benders are rippling every piece of pipe put in them. As I work in the workshop with students I've got 10 sets of them and occasionally one of them will start rippling every bend so that's what I do to stop that happening.

Normally do a test piece and spray with wd40

That's good advice, do a test piece and keep the thing lubed. I like it.

Then you at least know what’s at fault and if the benders need some love with the 3 in 1 and some steel wool

I have actually known people to throw out their benders when rippling and not even tried to remedy it with a bit of oil, or a clean as you say. Hopefully our posts will help someone out if they were considering chucking away their benders with this problem.

Metabo bought out by Hitachi / Hikoki in 2016 and I've had rubbish off them since - suspect they will be hollowed out over next few years :(

Did you see the news today ! no more gas boiler fitted by 2020 I would be thinking get your new guys trained in alternative forms of heating and push part of your company that way by being a accredited installer MCI and what ever else is needed , heating is gonna change dramatically in the next 5 years get ahead now take your company well part of it down the new road and get ahead of the rest

Guess I better acquire some refrigeration tools and equipment ....again!

Ffs

I have a set of Hilmor which haven’t been the best, one arm was bending slightly rubbing on formers. I have used someone else’s Monument - these seem decent and can get them at a decent price shopping around.

Just received 4 sets of Hilmar benders, nicely made bits of kit that bend without ripples etc. They don’t have any angle marks on the formers/shoe and nothing to align your measurements with. Is that normal for copper? I’m used to more like this:

24C54CC8-3E68-4F54-9DE1-7C26BD81F8D3.jpeg

With stainless tube they teach you to measure from one end. Then you account for the gain in each bend by which mark you line up against.

If you had a run with 6 bends you just start at one end mark the whole tube up before you start. Don’t seem to be able to do that with these.

I need to get a new bender ASAP my old rotherburger wind do 22mm unless 2 people jump on it

I’m looking at hilmor and bend it now

Bend it now are made by the same team who made the original hilmors I believe... I'm sure Shaun will confirm. Something along them lines anyway.

Bend it now are made by the same team who made the original hilmors I believe... I'm sure Shaun will confirm. Something along them lines anyway.

yes they did until hils was bought out / decided they were going to move manufacturing overseas

love my record bender, has only rippled pipes when theres a fault, first time was because the roller had seized up and second time was because the main pivot bolt had become too loose , otherwise keep the guides/formers clean and there awesome!! ,

Similar plumbing topics

In that case, just get the Mechanical Engineer...
Replies
Views
Thanks!! Not sure how I haven't seen that...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Chickened out and moved the radiator, job done.
Replies
Views
I have had the draper 34212 without any issues...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
OK so you're err... let me think# nearly 57?
Replies
Views
Back