Ariston Genus System 30HE | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ariston Genus System 30HE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diamondgas

Hi folks,

First time playing with one of these beasts! It's been installed about 4yrs and never serviced until I took it to bits last week. Issue I faced was intermittent "flame lift" displayed.

I removed the burner to find this Genus 01.jpg Ahaa! I thought, issue found so I cleaned this out and the condensate trap, which was also chocka-block! Genus 02.jpg

Now then, on removing the burner I thought the flame sensing probe was a bit bent and distorted away from the burner. It's about at this time I think I could really do with the mi's. The custard obliged but could I hell as like find anything in there about the distance it should be from the burner.

Put it all back together, fga'd, all seemed okay ... UNTIL YESTERDAY!

I'm going back tomorrow with a flame sensor. In the meantime though have any of you worked on these? Do you know what I should expect regards the distance of the sensor from the burner. I also realised that this beast has a "service mode".... :wacko: oops! The flippin mi's are like a novel..!! Schoolboy error I know but I should have tested the Hi & Lo ratio's ... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Any other tips or advise regards this boiler would be appreciated.. Always learning in this game :)

Cheers, Steve

interesting pics Steve, hope you sort it out. Never worked on system ariston though

I've never seen a burner so full of crud! The vacuum sucked it up no bother but it was weird :)

hi steve i always thought stainless heat exchangers could not rust but on the biasi course I was told a stainless heat exchanger can rust if its blocked as if the localised heat get hotter than 1600 I think it was then it will change its state and rust don't know if this is true but was shown a heat ex in better condition than that one and was told its scrap.

hi steve i always thought stainless heat exchangers could not rust but ...was shown a heat ex in better condition than that one and was told its scrap.

that doesn't sound good news Ant ... The layer on the bottom was about 5mm deep. My guess was because the condensate had backed up over and over again, over the years, forming this 'rust'! thing is if it were seriously blocked I'd have thought the POC's would have shown this? Maybe that's not so? Is it possible to get flame lift but otherwise good combustion? Doesn't seem to compute for me :) I'm now racking the brain to consider what the impact of a blocked heatex should have on a pre-mixed burner... hmmmmmmmmm!

Insulation needs replacing think it's about. 45mm? You replace ignition electrodes too. I would be wire brushing and thoroughly rinsing that mess. What's water quality like? I would hazard a guess that it might resemble an Irish stout as that hex looks to have had it's hooters thoroughly boiled off.

Insulation needs replacing think it's about. 45mm? You replace ignition electrodes too. I would be wire brushing and thoroughly rinsing that mess. What's water quality like? I would hazard a guess that it might resemble an Irish stout as that hex looks to have had it's hooters thoroughly boiled off.

Well I didn't have a wire brush, half a hacksaw blade do? :)

that's what I tried......... and succeeded now and again...lol :)

U can get the flexible blades with cleaner on them but normally a short nosed wirebrush, but you need to remove back pad as it ends up in bits. Wire wool is good.

U can get the flexible blades with cleaner on them but normally a short nosed wirebrush, but you need to remove back pad as it ends up in bits. Wire wool is good.

I got one of those flexi blades from Wolseley ...... Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiite! ... Wouldn't pass through a *****'s slit!!! :lol:

Thanks for the tip regards the back pad ... still haven't seen one deteriorate like the Isar as yet :) .. these seem quite a universal design to be honest, most manufacturers seem to come out with a very similar hex! However this Ariston is the first I've seen with such detritus build up?

See lots of duos like it. Normally one pipe jobs

The sys design shouldn't effect the working of the boiler Hex though Ermi yeh? You could put anything on a one pipe and hope you wouldn't get the crap in the hex I come cross. Personally Ithink the build up wa because of lack of maintenance!

If hex is hot all the time you seem to get sulphates (green crap) and then it burns black and flakey. Fga dosnt pick up sulphates. So service is as per mi. Fga and away! One pipes run hotter for longer and have lots of crap left in them as only way to flush a one pipe is to remove rads . Crap bakes to inside of tubular hex, burner burns harder and longer as flow stat says ch water still cold due to poor conduction. It's like when you over heat a soldered joint .

Defo lack of maintenance and dirty ch .

Did you fga before you started ..... Probs fine.

I love one pipes. Most companies say they need to repipe but it's just not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defo lack of maintenance and dirty ch .

Did you fga before you started ..... Probs fine.

I love one pipes. Most companies say they need to repipe but it's just not the case.

I wish I had fga before... called to repair because of 'flame lift' on display ... having never seen one of these boilers before thought, Quiz custard and take it from their....... they re-set it now and again coz of 'flame lift' error so went straight towards easy stuff like condensate full, flame sensor fooked.... Don't look for the extraordinary unless it calls for it! :) However a niggle said "take burner out" so I did and found the crud inside.... at the time didn't have the mi's :)

Was in that hole of bad taste on Monday, working on an IMAX , 45kw boiler, 210 uv.... 15/50 installed by fenhams. 28mm , reduced down to 22 for two ports.... Why did system perform poorly? I don't know.

I know the founder of said "fenhams" ... use to go to his for breakfast most mornings, during work, as a fledgling gasman! :) His children made quite a killing, so I gather :)

Never learned anything but how to take the pizz whilst working for someone else! That someone else at the time was british gas :)

the condensing part of the heat exchanger is not at the back is it like the glowworm hxi is it and blocked with the dirt like at the front

the condensing part of the heat exchanger is not at the back is it like the glowworm hxi is it and blocked with the dirt like at the front

I haven't been back yet Ant, going tomorrow morning. Good thought though cheers. Actually I poured a load of water in the Hex to wash out what I could regards debris, it didn't back up so I'm assuming its clear. Might check it out anyways tomorrow to eliminate if nothing else.

I haven't been back yet Ant, going tomorrow morning. Good thought though cheers. Actually I poured a load of water in the Hex to wash out what I could regards debris, it didn't back up so I'm assuming its clear. Might check it out anyways tomorrow to eliminate if nothing else.
I used to pour warm water down the flue on the hxi s to clear them as most of the time some idoit had glued the condense to the trap

Update .... Back yesterday with a flame sensor ... Another issue cropped up, pressure loss every day and a water leak on the integral filling loop! Sometime you just wish you never took the call!!!
So if ever you come across one of these boilers have fun trying to get to the expansion vessel schrader! What a nightmare! Anyways re-charged vessel, went to repressurise the boiler and saw where the leak was from...... the valve on the heating side "JOY"!!
they're £60!
Back to the original fault ... set up the Hi & Lo CO2 as per mi's fit new sensor and worked great for 10mins then back to flame lift! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Checked the lead and continuity, fine. Also checked the earthing which was also spot on!
Phoned Ariston, they say PCB, which I suspected but needed that confirmation... so back today with a new PCB and the Flow valve that's leaking! Wish me luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

The best advice would be to contact a local...
Replies
Views
Rickster123
R
Back