Back boiler gas usage advice | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler gas usage advice in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I always take out insurance when the manufacturing warranty has ended and pay for a proper annual service until I take out insurance which includes one.

Hi again. I've timed the revolutions on the gas meter. There are three red ones. The first takes 21 seconds to do a full turn, the second one in takes 3 minutes 35. I turned the hot water on and strangely instead of speeding up it slowed to 24 seconds. Do these figures sound normal speed? The thermostat is on 10. Thanks

weird I turned the hot water off so it was just heating and it went faster taking 25 seconds, turned on water again and it slowed to 35 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you at the wind up villa?
You never gas rate a back boiler, but you check the burner pressure?
The scenario I give trainees is " you get called to a boiler which is now not heating the rads as quickly or they aren't getting as hot, you check the MI and it says BP 13 mb, you fit u gauge and confirm BP is 13 mb what could be the prob, and how do you check it"?

The answer could be lack of gas, getting to the burner, therefore not burning, the easiest check in the world and one of the most ignored is gas rate, before I check BP I would gas rate all day every day, if the boiler is 28kw a quick gas rate tells you if it is getting full gas, checking BP tells you there is gas at the test point NOT that it is getting burned, due usually to the burner needing cleaned.
Imagine checking BP then blocking an injector with your thumb, the flame would drop and put the burner out but what would it do to the BP? ( nothing, therefore BP only is hardly worth the bother)

I will have a look for the badge but its a Baxi Bermuda rg3.
RG3 just refers to the fire!

The data plate for the boiler can be seen if you lie down and look under the fire. You will need a torch! It will probably be the Bermuda Inset 51/5 (GC No: 44 075 06).

That boiler has an output which can be adjusted (by a Gas Safe Engineer) between 7.5 and 15kW. The input is between 9.3 and 18.6kW

Hi I've just got a property with an eight year old back boiler. I've been keeping a note of the meter readings and in 40 days its used 118 m3 units. Its been on a timer coming on twice a day for an hour just heating rads no hot water, as its unoccupied. For two hours it uses 3 units which I calculated as 33kwh.
So you are heating up the house twice a day from cold. No wonder you have high gas consumption!

33kWh over 2 hours is 16.5kW per hour. The boiler consumes 18kW per hour (see my previous post), so it is running flat out for about 55 minutes per hour.

Putting the idea of a combi boiler to one side for a moment, you need to check how much heating your house needs. The easiest way to do this is to use the Whole House Boiler Size Calculator. I doubt very much if you need 18kW in a two bed house with eight rads.

The next thing to do is to check if your rads can provide the required heat. Use the first table in Stelrad Elite Catalogue to find out.

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
I'm sorry it's been difficult reading. Is this...
Replies
Views
P
Baxi boilers are light and quiet but I doubt...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Back