Basic fitting question - attaching/fixing toilet and basin | Boilers | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Basic fitting question - attaching/fixing toilet and basin in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tip for you with bathroom ... take everything out then before tiling and fitting suite, paint ceiling and walls, window and door as it saves covering all the tiles and basin and things from splatter marks.

Still, should be a piece of cake for you now!

in general i also use silicon to bed wastes in. you don't get leaks this way and it can be touch and go without it.
i have found that if the washers and seals provided are more like plastic than rubber you definately have to use silicon. if the seals are a nice soft squishy and pliable rubber (usually higher end products, and usually white ish) then you don't need it.

KJ

I used a bessey clamp to tighten the black plastic nut as it has straight/flat jaws - worked really well.

Forgot to check - do I need PTFE tape on the isolator valve compression fittings ? - so far just tightened them lightly with spanners and no tape.

Yes - the under sink washer was a hard translucent one rather than a squishy one so used silicon top and bottom.

no you don't need ptfe on the isolators unless you overdo them and they start to leak then only around the olive

steve

Right - got a saddle/strap boss for a 110mm foul waste pipe. It slips over the 110mm pipe and has a boss for a 32mm basin waste to connect to it.

I'm ok with the basin waste connection - this looks like you just add solvent glue to the insert into the saddle, solvent glue into the insert for the basin waste and push the lot together.

What I need advice on is how to connect the saddle boss to the 110mm pipe.

It looks like it is a 56mm or 57mm hole that I need to drill into the 110mm and then slip the saddle boss over the top.
There isn't any o-ring so am I right in thinking that I just make sure the hole I drill is a good fit and put lots of solvent glue all over the hole area ? Do I also glue the rest of the saddle strap on ?

Thanks for any help - getting there !
Ed

drill a hole slightly larger than the raised edge on the inside of the boss, then solvent weld or silicone the boos into place

I used a bessey clamp to tighten the black plastic nut as it has straight/flat jaws - worked really well.

Forgot to check - do I need PTFE tape on the isolator valve compression fittings ? - so far just tightened them lightly with spanners and no tape.

Yes - the under sink washer was a hard translucent one rather than a squishy one so used silicon top and bottom.

you dont need ptfe on the thread of the compression fitting. you may need some on the olive if its tricky but most the time they are fine

Many thanks - will check once the mains is connected - buckets til then... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you so much - really appreciate the...
Replies
Views
It doesn’t look like the internal pipe has...
Replies
Views
I take it that there was nothing there...
Replies
Views
Had this same issue and thanks to Alanka’s...
Replies
Views
Job done - Thread closed. After a further...
Replies
Views
Back