Bathroom Disaster Please Help | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bathroom Disaster Please Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

My colleagues are quite correct this an utter failure to communicate.

Unf IMHO it is you who are culpable. Having been an expert witness a number of times, the judge would ask if you'd agreed details.
To have agreed without understanding the detail means you've abdicated responsibility.
However, laying it out like that (in a non std way) without reference to you seems to suggest you either gave them carte blanch, they were too frightened to ask or just daft.
The 'job' looks very competent, so this just does NOT feel right.
Hello - thank you for your reply. I had made a very thorough scope of the project, both verbally and in writing with agreement. My husband was here for any discussion and was not approached in my absence. If there were to be any major deviation from the project scope then he should have been approached. Do not quote Unf IMHO at me because I fully understand the realms under which it operates having a law background.

How much did you pay for said install?

Also roughly in the country where are you

Just another customer looking for ammo to bash somebody over the head with.

Which is why I always have a discussion around control location.

Two sides to every story.
Thank you for your response and no it is not somebody wishing to bash a tradesperson - it is actually somebody that is frustrated with an outcome and asking for advice.

Or the customer agreed and now realises it was a stupid decision. I don’t believe for one minute that a plumber would put it there, because he couldn’t be bothered
No - let me assure you they fitted without consultation - having already agreed to fit on top half of wall - I am guessing from your response that you may do same.

Thank you for your reply - and yes very frustrating - we were told that the wall end for shower controls was too thin - having already scoped and agreed they could go there?!? Also it was scoped that the radiator could be hung high up on wall - this was scoped for and then we were told that there were too many wires behind that wall?!? Does not give tradesman a good name.
The wall may very well be too thin, and although you was told the shower could go there, your plumber may not have checked before agreeing this with you, this would be an error on their part. What are your walls constructed of?
I can't comment on the wires, There shouldn't be any there but there's always the option of moving them but again, that comes down to communication and price.

As @YorkshireDave has said, I shouldn't be bashing another plumbers work without knowing the full story.

So I will say that from my own experience with bathroom installations (and I install around 40-50 a year). I can say that very rarely does an installation go to plan, I am constantly torn between what a customer in their eyes has been sold and what our bathroom designer has sold them.

However I can also tell you that 99% of the time there is a way round problems. Whether it be, in your case for example, boxing the wall off to allow the installation of the shower valve where you specified it and installing a smaller shower tray and screen, or changing the shower for a more practical one like a digital Mira or aqualisa. Again this comes down to communication.

I would in my opinion lay the blame more with the installer in this case as common sense would clearly show that the shower is impractical in that position. But did your husband not raise any concerns after the valve was fitted but before tiles went on the wall?

Last edited by a moderator:
No - let me assure you they fitted without consultation - having already agreed to fit on top half of wall - I am guessing from your response that you may do same.

So from the moment the shower valve was installed and until it was tiled, you or your partner didn’t see that valve. It’s extremely funny, because EVERY bathroom I’ve done for anyone over two decades, the customer/s come and have a sit rep when they’re home from work or before they go to work.

So from the moment the shower valve was installed and until it was tiled, you or your partner didn’t see that valve. It’s extremely funny, because EVERY bathroom I’ve done for anyone over two decades, the customer/s come and have a sit rep when they’re home from work or before they go to work.

Eg a nosey :D

You are essentially looking for ammunition. If somebody was there while works we’re carried out I plain do not believe that no one looked at the progress. If you have a scope no sensible tradesman will deviate from it as there could be serious ramifications

You are essentially looking for ammunition. If somebody was there while works we’re carried out I plain do not believe that no one looked at the progress. If you have a scope no sensible tradesman will deviate from it as there could be serious ramifications
True but I as well as you and probably most plumbers on here will have, at some point seen the level of stupidity that so called tradesmen are capable of. But at the same time I do agree and find it difficult to believe that her husband did not look at the install before tiling. There is no way that looking at his he thought it would be fine. Either that or he did but is playing stupid so his wife doesn't blame him.

True but I as well as you and probably most plumbers on here will have, at some point seen the level of stupidity that so called tradesmen are capable of. But at the same time I do agree and find it difficult to believe that her husband did not look at the install before tiling. There is no way that looking at his he thought it would be fine. Either that or he did but is playing stupid so his wife doesn't blame him.
I think that’s more likely

This certainly doesn’t look like a cheap job. I can never understand why trades or customers entertain starting a job without a decent schedule of works/work pack. It protects both parties and prevents situations like this.

Why would any Plumber think that was a good place for the shower controls!!
Absolute muppet!
What was the reason for not putting them in the shower?

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you for the detailed reply. Yes it’s...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
S
I’d only choose something named and with a...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Hoping for some advice on the use of AAVs...
Replies
Views
Stephen44uk
S
Back