Bathroom Rad valves | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bathroom Rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I went to a job last week:

Bathroom towel rad had 2 lockshields fitted so no user friendly way to control the temperature.

I recommended fitting a TRV after turning down the left hand lockshield.

I discussed this job with my training engineer and he said you'd normally only fit wheel heads in a bathroom - which is logical given the ambient temp when bathing/showering.

But in the last two properties I've lived in they've both had TRV's. He said some plumbers fit them, some don't.

What are other peoples opinion?

Either way, I'm draining the system tomorrow and fitting a new valve. But my decision to what valve sways with the consensus.

Leave it mate, it's just used as a bypass, unless it gets incredibly hot , which I doubt, being a towel rail then you could put a trv on it

I would always use decorative valves or lock shields on a towel rail or radiator unless the customer had specifically asked for a TRV.

How About bunging the system instead of a full drain down mate?

Google rad valve change kit mate, definetely saves a lot of time and chances of having problems when filling up. I'd only do it if you were confident though!

Google rad valve change kit mate, definetely saves a lot of time and chances of having problems when filling up. I'd only do it if you were confident though!

Just searched the forum for it. It's a sealed system so no chance of bunging anything. To be honest, I'd rather just drain it so I'm in no risk of flooding the nice beige carpet with black slush-puppie water!!
I know if it's on a single floor you can create an air lock by not bleeding any rads but I'm still learning so I'm gonna drain...

Oh I see. How about just dumping the pressure and seeing if there's much pressure when you crack a nut slightly?

Oh I see. How about just dumping the pressure and seeing if there's much pressure when you crack a nut slightly?

Yeah we had to do that today, a rad was leaking after a boiler install. I'm at a point where I'm going to play it safe until I'm confident in taking risks so definitely going to drain down. I've been given more than enough time to do the job so I'm going to use this to my advantage.

I wouldn't mind doing it in my own house, but not in a custards... ;)

If it isn't a heat leak or bypass rad in a bathroom, I prefer to use a Trv because the rad will still overheat the room in milder weather. Must admit a Trv doesn't look as good as nice chrome fancy valves.
I would never drain a sealed system just to replace a valve. Once the pressure is full off the system & no auto vents etc open, then the system is dead - just water lying in the pipe. Plenty towels & you could do a valve swap in seconds, - even if you had to cut an olive off & remove the nut.

If it isn't a heat leak or bypass rad in a bathroom, I prefer to use a Trv because the rad will still overheat the room in milder weather. Must admit a Trv doesn't look as good as nice chrome fancy valves.
I would never drain a sealed system just to replace a valve. Once the pressure is full off the system & no auto vents etc open, then the system is dead - just water lying in the pipe. Plenty towels & you could do a valve swap in seconds, - even if you had to cut an olive off & remove the nut.

When I get to the point of confidence where I can do it in seconds with water leaking out the rad, I'm sure I'll be doing it just like this too ;) lol until then I'll be taking the snail approach!

Unless if course, I decide tomorrow morning to find out what will happen by doing it your way mwah ha haaaaa - I'll have my wetvac with me anyway :p

I prefer the rad ideally to be removed first, where I am replacing a pair of rad valves, but not essential as you can bung the rad tail. If it is a bottom connection rad - like a towel rail, then it is better removed first as the water tends to pour out of them.

I prefer the rad ideally to be removed first, where I am replacing a pair of rad valves, but not essential as you can bung the rad tail. If it is a bottom connection rad - like a towel rail, then it is better removed first as the water tends to pour out of them.

If I'm draining the system, why would I need to take off the rad? I would have thought I could hoover up any residual water from the rad, change a lockshield for a trv, refill the system and bleed the rads... :/

If I'm draining the system, why would I need to take off the rad? I would have thought I could hoover up any residual water from the rad, change a lockshield for a trv, refill the system and bleed the rads... :/

If you are draining the system then you'll be okay except a bit of water lying in bottom of rad. Guess it's better than black water damage.
Cowards way out though. :smile:

Big difference in price between draining and snatching. Who's paying the difference?

Personally I never use trv's on towel rads. They are always open fully as the room never heats up properly. Towel rails are designed to warm/dry towels not as a space heater. Better vontrolled with a shiny chrome straight lockshield valve.

If you are draining the system then you'll be okay except a bit of water lying in bottom of rad. Guess it's better than black water damage.
Cowards way out though. :smile:

Haha perhaps.. I prefer the term 'safe' than 'coward'

Big difference in price between draining and snatching. Who's paying the difference?

Snatching? Replacing a rad valve without draining? To be honest I'm paying the difference via the time I spend doing it..

Personally I never use trv's on towel rads. They are always open fully as the room never heats up properly. Towel rails are designed to warm/dry towels not as a space heater. Better vontrolled with a shiny chrome straight lockshield valve.

The custard isn't the type to get her screwdriver and spanner out to change the temp of her rad.. Hence the thought of fitting a trv. But i totally see your point.

The custard isn't the type to get her screwdriver and spanner out to change the temp of her rad.. Hence the thought of fitting a trv. But i totally see your point.

A trv isn't there to control the temperature of the rad. It controls the temperature of the room and the rad temp changes as the valve opens and closes.
As a towel rail will never heat a bathroom on its own she will still burn her rse off it :wink:

A trv isn't there to control the temperature of the rad. It controls the temperature of the room and the rad temp changes as the valve opens and closes.
As a towel rail will never heat a bathroom on its own she will still burn her rse off it :wink:

True indeed. But she's burning her arse anyway lol think I'll fit a wheelhead - at least it controls the rad temp ;) cheers Tamz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks a lot, put lots more turns on + some...
Replies
Views
Thanks All. After much persuasion the...
Replies
Views
Yes I’d do that too, just shut the radiator...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Closing the loop... I replaced the valve body...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'm a bit late but this is how I 'balance' a...
Replies
Views
Back