Bathroom Rad valves | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Page 2 | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bathroom Rad valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because a trv doesn't control the temperature of a radiator. It controls the flow of water through the rad by opening and closing as the room temperature rises to the set point.
Some rads may feel warmer than others as the valve is opening or closing so letting less water through. The water entering the rad is the very same temperature as the rest of the system but the amount flowing through is not enough to fully heat the rad.
A towel rail will never (over)heat a bathroom unless it is a very big rail in a very small bathroom so the trv won't make a lot of difference unless turned very low then the room will be cold too.

Heres a wee video
http://heating.danfoss.co.uk/PCMPDF/trv01d_CEN.swf

It could be achieved surely, by putting it on a separate zone, complete with programmable thermostat and motorised valve? And some re-design of the existing pipework.
Not with the 300 odd watts from your std towel rail unless you sell her some underfloor heating while you're in :wink:

I meant, why will a wheelhead not control the temp of the rad. I understand that a trv controls the room temp and what a towel rad is for, but if the towel rad is getting too hot or if they want to increase the temp after a while then surely a wheelhead will allow them to do this?

Read tamz post 31 again he explains it perfectly there

I've already read it and understand what he's saying - but my point is, if the rad is cooler because less water is flowing through it, then the temp of the rad differs to that of the other rads if all others were fully open.

Yes, a wheel head valve could be utilised to reduce the flow. But if the flow is still at, say 60 degrees, then the flow will still be at 60 degrees. The current lockshield will do exactly the same.

Yes, a wheel head valve could be utilised to reduce the flow. But if the flow is still at, say 60 degrees, then the flow will still be at 60 degrees. The current lockshield will do exactly the same.

Agreed. But the lady wants an easier way to control this flow. So what is the best course of action?

Put a hand wheel on if she wants to turn it on and off or a trv up to you
But the rad temp will be same when on

Agreed.But the lady wants an easier way to control this flow. So what is the best course of action?

Tell her to diet so her backside isnt big enough to touch the towel rail :)

Just explain it to cust, tell them you dont mind doing either and getting paid, but they wont be happy with the outcome.

Tell her to diet so her backside isnt big enough to touch the towel rail :)

Just explain it to cust, tell them you dont mind doing either and getting paid, but they wont be happy with the outcome.

Lol I'll make sure i have my running shoes on!!

So clearly I've missed something regarding rads/heating! (I'm still learning, sorry if I sound thick!!!) :/

So a rad is either on or off? The temp will be the same regardless of what valve is on the rad and regardless of how open or closed it is?

She can control the overall temp by turning down the temp knob on the boiler or by a room stat.

So basically me saying to fit a trv/wheel is a complete waste of time!!?

its only a waste of time as a wheel head is the same as a lockshield. this is the only way to control the rad temp. you throttle down the lockshield so that the rad emits its heat quicker than it is replenished. this controls the temp of the rad. a trv is pointless on a towel rad as it isnt a space heater which means that the rad will always be red hot trying to heat a room to its set temperature.

wheel heads and lockshields are the same just a different cap on them.

I just want to thank everyone for being patient with my stupidness!! I fitted a TRV in the end after explaining to the custard - her request was the trv...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks a lot, put lots more turns on + some...
Replies
Views
Thanks All. After much persuasion the...
Replies
Views
Yes I’d do that too, just shut the radiator...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Closing the loop... I replaced the valve body...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'm a bit late but this is how I 'balance' a...
Replies
Views
Back